Forums
May 06, 2024, 07:54 PM

Poll

Would you play a scheme with speedy rope?

Yes
10 (52.6%)
No
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Let's talk about the ninja rope  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Kradie

Let's talk about the ninja rope
« on: July 17, 2020, 07:36 PM »
I have taken the liberty to experiment with 2 important settings for the ninja rope, which I think is crucial for its role in wide arrange of schemes. One of these settings are ''Rope Speed'' and second ''Projectile Speed''.  I have added extra value to both of these options, it makes the rope more ''speedy'' and ''frantic''. People have tested it and some of them do like it. However they are concerned that ''old schoolers'' won't approve because it would be too easy to rope. Do you agree with this? No one really liked TS, and r+ for rubberworm. But yet I have played with intense rope settings with no problem. I even had a game with a few experienced ropers who decided to quit after a few brief turns because they failed on every level imaginable.

What do you think? Could speedy rope be something or not?
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about the ninja rope
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:11 PM »
See, back then I already knew that playing online could be much more difficult than their offline counterpart, the first time I played AoE2 online I was literally defeated in just a couple minutes, even though I had no issue beating any campaign.
I got W:A sometime between 2008-2009, and I played every training, every mission, the whole deathmatch campaign, and I've unlocked the full wormage "twice". I had a strategy, some skill on ground control, and I thought I was ready to tackle on WormNET. I was completely wrong.

When I first joined WormNET back in 2010, it was like learning a whole new gameplay, because I had no option but to play rope games, and nobody would ever play a "classic" game. Any practice I had for a "classic" game was pushed far behind in my brain, and some things such as strategy became really rusty as I had to come up with something quick after touching every wall in a WxW. The learning curve was also more difficult than for a classic game, because the "rules" are only in our imagination so we got to learn them other friends we meet (after getting kicked or cow-ing to a bunch of haters who won't tell them) or read an external wiki.
So, Worms Armageddon effectively turned into a "rope" game in its own right, requiring a whole different skill set. People from WormNET made a whole new game (or games) over time, but W:A is required to "run them". And as I've improved my roping over the years, there's some missions I can't beat anymore unless I tried/practiced them again for a long time.

So, I've made an effort in learning a "new game" and I actually got some really good times on it, but... I don't know if it's worth it to change it again? I'd say I'm conflicted in this one, but I'm leaning towards no... isn't the typical rope already pretty damn difficult, taking MUCH time and effort to practice and master? It will have to be forgotten again
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:15 PM by lolicon-guy »

Offline Kradie

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Mr lolicon-guy, I understand the reluctance to master a new rope, however please hear me out.

You as many others have already mastered the art of roping, so why not go further? By challenging your existing skills to a new arena that's a bit different? Sure the rope may be different but yet you understand it, you just need to treat it differently and get used to it.

It doesn't take long to master it, I didn't, why can't you or anyone else?

Speedy rope is very fun. Sure, it ''may'' be easy to master for noobs, but who cares? It's still hell of a lot of fun :)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 09:39 PM »
When it comes to something like rope physics, I don't personally approve of change unless it's a change enforced in every scheme and literally everyone agrees never to use the old physics ever again.

I guess it would be like spending your whole life playing billiards then switching to snooker or vice versa.

Change the scheme settings sure, be creative with map design sure, but changing physics, no.

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 09:50 PM »
See, I can give it a try, but in the meantime, I insist it feels like Billiards -> Snooker -> Pool. Agreed with the first one and it was already a pain. Can tell is an issue that goes from "can't be bothered to try something new" (which to me isn't a good thing) to "maybe I'm too old to master a game now" like back in teenhood, but I digress.

Offline Triad

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 10:43 PM »
If the applied settings change the way rope behaves, even slightly, then no. I agree with Komo, changing psychics is a big no. Of course this excludes casual games with your friends where competition is not a concern, just like when you put overpowered explosive bananas on Big RR.

If the applied settings does not change the rope behavior, but only change animation speed, then it might work. It might even be interesting. I think one way to achieve that is by changing the speed of game engine.

Newbies can practise muscle memory by lowering engine speed. To give you an example, I practise guitar and when I face with a hard riff, I try to play it at lower speed. Let's say I begin at 50% speed. When I manage to play it, I raise the speed level incrementally till I reach 100%. This works because I get motivated when I am able to play at lower speed, and at that speed I build muscle memory.

Pros can improve their roping by playing at a higher speed. They can increase their reaction time, which will translate to regular speed as more precise roping.

If rope animation becomes faster while keeping the gravity same, it can also work on some competitive events with more freedom (a Big RR or WxW cup), and not work on the rest (league schemes, TTRR, Darts etc.)

Offline LilScrappy94

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 05:52 AM »
Definitly yes.

We played many hours yersterday with oldscock, masta, legion and many others on fast rope.

At the beggining i was just testing options, playing with all that new settings in the "star".
Finally we played maybe 4 hours with fast rope (actually we didnt change the rope speed, but the whole engine game speed).
Its also great that we can set the "ghost" option, and "wind" option to get something similar to the old /racingstuff  :)
For people who want to give a try and are lazy to play with options themselves i upload the options we used.

What was intially just testing, became a big roperace session, trying "slow-motion", "fast rope", "ultra-fast rope :D" on ttrr normal maps and big rr.
I usually just play 1 hour and get bored, here I played my longest worm session, and i was feeling everybody had fun trying something new.

In my own opinion, 3.8 roping is too slow, and only switching the engine game speed to something between x1.15 and x1.25 makes it really more enjoyable.
One more thing for rr players, as this option doesnt only change rope speed but the whole game speed, we also wait less between each turns, looking for useless animation or listening worms voice faster :)

So yea, whatever every player preferences is, its just so great that we have many new options / advanced schemes settings to play with.

And as a conclusion, yea; I think if you can do something faster, it will be even more easy to do it on normal speed later. So I guess you could only improve from this experience.

Cheers, and thanks again for 3.8
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:24 AM by LilScrappy94 »

Offline rUNaW4y

• “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 08:26 AM »
When it comes to something like rope physics, I don't personally approve of change unless it's a change enforced in every scheme and literally everyone agrees never to use the old physics ever again.

I guess it would be like spending your whole life playing billiards then switching to snooker or vice versa.

Change the scheme settings sure, be creative with map design sure, but changing physics, no.

I Agree.
New available rope settings are quite similar to ts options. So nothing has changed for those who are familiar with it. I could play it for fun, like in the past but I am not going to consider it as the new way to play WA.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 09:11 AM »
In my own opinion, 3.8 roping is too slow,

Keep hearing this from players and it's mind boggling. If anything, 3.8 feels faster for me. How come community is divided on this matter? Does it have anything to do with monitor refresh rate? In game video settings? I'd like to hear more.

My setup is:
Win10 (no compatibility set to previous versions in wa.exe)
direct3d9 shader
Windowed borderless mode
Both vsyncs turned off
144hz monitor

Game running better than ever.

Offline Sir-J

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 09:40 AM »
-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:45 AM by Rudolf289 »

Offline Kradie

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 10:38 AM »
I just played With DawgScrap with 1.8 speed and it is good. I liked it just fine.

I told scrappy that everyone on worms now seem to have their own gimmick now, even myself. I guess time will tell what will appeal to most.
  I changed settings on rope just to experiment, some likes it, some don't. It really does divide everyone.  Personally, I try to be open to new things. The annoying thing is to master something new again, that can throw people off.

At least there's more freedom of choice here. No one is forcing people to play this or that.

Offline Sir-J

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 11:14 AM »
-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:45 AM by Rudolf289 »

Offline Kradie

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 11:26 AM »
I am talking about rope speed and game speed.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 11:32 AM »
You're overthinking it SirJ. I assure you all the ppl you usually play with will stick to regular rope. And the ones that have fun with customization atm, will quickly get bored of changing speed, friction, gravity and whatnot. Even if they don't - who cares. It's not like you played with them before anyway :)

In the end, we're gonna end up with having handful of great innovative schemes with new settings + thousands of unusable ones. Like we do now. So only thing it's gonna change is higher number of quality modes. See it as a good thing.

Offline LilScrappy94

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 01:20 PM »
-Try normal
-Try x1.18
-Tell me wich is the best

:D

I mean, its just about having fun, i personally like it faster.
And its exactly the same roping physics, overall speed changes (the whole balance remain the same)
Nothing to worry about your actual or posterior skillz
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:41 PM by LilScrappy94 »