Forums
April 29, 2024, 05:29 PM

Author Topic: MapGEN v0.8.7.2  (Read 55844 times)

Offline Plutonic

Re: MapGEN v0.7.1
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Ok, I *think* I have this working now. Find me on #worms if you want to gve 0.8.0 a test, as its not ready for release yet.

Online XanKriegor

« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2016, 02:10 AM »
How many colors were in your example map? 64-96 - it might be glitchy.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2016, 02:31 AM »
Plutonic tried. I tested it with new mapgen version. Didn't worked, background soil is white now.

Online XanKriegor

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2016, 02:54 AM »
How many colors? I will try with 100 and 110 this evening.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2016, 06:07 AM »
Its one short, 111 colours. Looks like something is making it duplicate black. Will take another look this evening.

Online XanKriegor

« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2016, 06:09 AM »
Have you used HostingBuddy for that?

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2016, 12:58 PM »
Not sure I understand? What does hosting buddy have to do with it?

Anyway, I think I have found the issue with the white stuff, though I cant test it till I get home. I also have a plan for doing this without completely destroying the sky.

Online XanKriegor

« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2016, 01:26 PM »
Some mole maps has white soil if they played with HB.

Offline Plutonic

Re: MapGEN v0.8.0
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2016, 07:34 PM »
MapGen 0.8.0 is now ready. This is a pretty major update so please take note of the following!

1) I have changed compilers, this means that this version of MapGen requires a different version of the VC++ Runtimes. Last time this happened many people ran in to issues updating so I have made an installer this time that will hopefully take care of it for most people. If, after a successful install MapGen still will not run, first check to see if you have any windows updates available. If you are fully up to date, you could try installing the full redist (MapGen only comes with the bits it actually needs) found http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/f/8/7f8a9ad0-670e-4073-8058-75d8a8df08c5/vc_redist.x86.exe

2) This version has changed to format / layout of the data folder, particularly the themes. This means two things, firstly, installing over the top of an old install will not overwrite the old data. If you plan to put it in the same location, you should clear it out first (or, more sensibly, back it up first). Otherwise MapGen will think it has twice as many themes as it has, some of which will not be valid. Secondly, it anyone has customised part of MapGen or added new themes, these may not be compatible, and will need updating in order to work. If that is the case and you need some help doing so let me know and I can point you in the right direction, but back up what you have before attempting to update.

3) Apart from the data folder, this version break compatibility with older versions in a number of ways. wkMapGen from older versions will not work, saved settings should still work, but will be in the wrong location and have the wrong name (these are now saved in %APPDATA%/MapGen). Also, maps saved out from an old version of MapGen may do bad things if loaded into this one unless you first remove the mGen chunk from them.

4) If you want to install to a protected location such as Program Files, you will need to run the installer as admin. It does not request admin rights automatically in case some people don't have them and want to install it else where.

So, again, I recommend backing up your current MapGen and wkMapGen and moving it out of the way somewhere, then installing this one fresh.

You can download the installer here: http://www.wormscc.co.uk/download/mapgen/InstallMapGen.exe

Full Change Log: 0.7.1 -> 0.8.0

- Roper
   -Reworked using current island map for the base shape, and fixed hole placement so as to not cut the map up.
   -Implemented complexity slider

- SSR
   - Increased SSR path size minimum to 60, as 50 was impossible to complete.

- Shopper
   - Fix the maze seed, so that it doesn't always generate the same map.

- Fort
   - Fix for the fort seed, so that you don't always get the same map.
   - Moved over to using the themes, rather than the old brick textures.

- WfW
   - Fix for WfW seed, so that it doesn't always generate the same map when using wkMapGen.
   - Fix when using wkMapGen to use a reasonable default complexity.

- IndiMask Editor
   - Added options to reset all colours to a specific destructibility level.
   - When a colour is selected, Page-up and down will move it between types.

- MapGen
   - Store all data needed to re-generate a map inside the mGen chunk, not just the seeds.
   - Use the users roaming data folder for settings storage, rather than the install path.
   - Always use the full palette, even if the map doesn't contain enough colours. This allows for the background to be fully disabled.
   - Fill unused palette with sky colours, to ensure the sky does not corrupt when removing the background.
   - Re-exported some theme objects that had become corrupted.
   - Re-added the Manhattan theme which had been missing for a while.
   - Changed theme loading to not need the folders to be in numeric order, should allow adding of new themes more easily.
   - Added some dialog boxes when errors are detected.

- Object Placement
   - Objects now pick in a fully random manner, rather than in a way that favoured the same objects.
   - Objects will now always keep their bases embedded in the floor.
   - Objects will no longer overlap each other.   
   - Arches will no longer be placed where only one side is in the ground.

- Optimisation
   - Maps now generate 3 times faster than previous versions.
   - Never use the disk for writing out temp files. (Apart from wkMapGen)
   - Load all theme data once, when first needed, rather than ever time the map is generated.
   - Removed a load of unnecessary image copying.
   - Fixed memory leaks.
   - Other misc optimisations.

- wkMapGen
   - Re-worked code for easier maintainability when new schemes are added.
   - Removed need for supported types to be in the registry.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:49 PM by Plutonic »

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Nice! :D

Also, I got some suggestions about themes.

1. Those flippin' girder bridges >_< Lack of them were driving me crazy
2. Ability to have a config file next to some/an object(s), which will contain information about:
a) probability of that object appearing (Percentage?)
b) Rectangles that represent: (e.g. X, Y, Width, Height) (Can be multiple of these)
- In which area an object must be covered to spawn
- In which area an object must be shown to spawn
c) Is the object mirrorable? true/false/forced (forced == always mirrored)
d) What IndiMask behaviour has it by default? weak/tough/indi (Customizable before generating the map)
e) Can the object be upside-down? true/false/forced
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:13 AM by TheMadCharles »

Online XanKriegor

« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2016, 09:16 PM »
Nice, i see you have used the method i have suggested. Btw, why all maps coning out with Indimask color in its palette? The color is wrong btw. Or it is intended to be able to turn on Indimask?

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2016, 09:22 PM »
Nice, i see you have used the method i have suggested. Btw, why all maps coning out with Indimask color in its palette? The color is wrong btw. Or it is intended to be able to turn on Indimask?

It is intended to be able to turn on Indimask. You don't wanna get desync with some ppl that doesn't have it, right? Especially with AG players out there.

Online XanKriegor

« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2016, 09:27 PM »
Yes, i guess if someone want to turn it on, he goest to palette, set red to 240 instead of 242 and it is on. But now.... all colors are mixed so the map in question is not playable. Im gonna try it now.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Nice! :D

Also, I got some suggestions about themes.

1. Those flippin' girder bridges >_< Lack of them were driving me crazy
2. Ability to have a config file next to some/an object(s), which will contain information about:
a) probability of that object appearing (Percentage?)
b) Rectangles that represent: (e.g. X, Y, Width, Height) (Can be multiple of these)
- In which area an object must be covered to spawn
- In which area an object must be shown to spawn
c) Is the object mirrorable? true/false/forced (forced == always mirrored)
d) What IndiMask behaviour has it by default? weak/tough/indi (Customizable before generating the map)
e) Can the object be upside-down? true/false/forced

I keep thinking about bridges, but havn't yet worked out a nice way to make them work (though havm't thought that hard about it either). One day maybe.

As for the objects, the old versions placement was awful, but it is much better in the new one. While working on it, I did at one point start adding a settings file per object, but in the end managed to generate the settings just by scanning the image. Are you finding some objects are placed where you wouldn't want them? If so, which ones?

MapGen reserves space for the indimask colour in the palette, but doesn't turn it on by default, as it doesn't currenlty attempt to do anything IndiMask related in any of the schemes. I have so ideas for MoleShopper that may use it however.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2016, 09:32 PM »
Yes, i guess if someone want to turn it on, he goest to palette, set red to 240 instead of 242 and it is on. But now.... all colors are mixed so the map in question is not playable. Im gonna try it now.

By default it will just be random, so I wouldn't bother, you can move the colours around in the IndiMask editor to try and get something useable, but millage will vary depending on theme.