Forums
May 02, 2024, 10:54 PM

Poll

Should it be legal to place markings on or near your monitor, as visual aids (in schemes like BnG)?

Yes
17 (32.1%)
No
36 (67.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Markings on your monitor- okay or not?  (Read 10033 times)

Re: Markings on your monitor- okay or not?
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2011, 11:15 PM »
What about "stealing" angles? I mean when I watch my oppenent's angle/power I can copycat it and modify if necessary. I think a player should look at his screen only when it is his turn, otherwise he can use another players' angles as "visual aids". Also first 5 seconds of a turn a player must randomly push up/down arrows with closed eyes. That's will be fair enough.

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2011, 11:21 PM »
Ghost ne1 ?
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2011, 11:41 PM »
What about "stealing" angles? I mean when I watch my oppenent's angle/power I can copycat it and modify if necessary. I think a player should look at his screen only when it is his turn, otherwise he can use another players' angles as "visual aids". Also first 5 seconds of a turn a player must randomly push up/down arrows with closed eyes. That's will be fair enough.

That isn't all that easy to do man, but if it helps you a lot, might as well keep doing it. With notching though, there's not much point in trying to copy an angle, it's faster to just know it.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2011, 12:20 AM »

Now that you mention it, if you master counting the weapon movement fast enough you can at least get a very good idea where the shot lands if your opponent hits you. I think this thread exploits more than it helps. xD

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2011, 12:58 AM »
I think this thread exploits more than it helps. xD
^^'

Offline Ramone

« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2011, 09:27 PM »
What about terrain patterns or map objects as a visual aid? I.e. U know that U need to move your aim just a tiny bit to the i.e. strawberry object on a fruit map to hit the perfect hit.. Are U kindly gonna ask ppl not to do that too? ;x It's tricky..
Anyway, I understand what U wanna Mab, I've had similar situation few years ago when I wanted to add "no-notching" rule in bng here... I knew that it was complicated and that someone can hardly prove if someone was notching or not, and that it would bring too much bitching if anyone wanted to judge that even, but I still just wanted that rule to be stated. Just as a criteria.. as a standard..

It's the same with this visual aid thing, U can add the rule, but that's all U can do, ppl who use papers, monitor buttons, CD cases, self-made aids or w/e will still use it.. Because they can. Because no one sees them..

And btw, votes on poll are on your side, so just add the rule and stop giving away new ideas to youngsters how to cheat! ;x

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2011, 10:52 PM »
someone can hardly prove if someone was notching or not
Just watch, it's very easy to see.

But I noticed many people didn't know what notching is.

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2011, 11:22 PM »
What about terrain patterns or map objects as a visual aid? I.e. U know that U need to move your aim just a tiny bit to the i.e. strawberry object on a fruit map to hit the perfect hit.. Are U kindly gonna ask ppl not to do that too? ;x It's tricky..
Anyway, I understand what U wanna Mab, I've had similar situation few years ago when I wanted to add "no-notching" rule in bng here... I knew that it was complicated and that someone can hardly prove if someone was notching or not, and that it would bring too much bitching if anyone wanted to judge that even, but I still just wanted that rule to be stated. Just as a criteria.. as a standard..

It's the same with this visual aid thing, U can add the rule, but that's all U can do, ppl who use papers, monitor buttons, CD cases, self-made aids or w/e will still use it.. Because they can. Because no one sees them..

And btw, votes on poll are on your side, so just add the rule and stop giving away new ideas to youngsters how to cheat! ;x

No, not everyone would continue to use that stuff. But yeah, things like notching and measuring via objects in the game, those aren't even preventable in a live setting, they're perfectly okay. The only 'aid' I would say is okay is using your hands to judge distances/remember angles.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2011, 05:50 AM »
I'll be adding this rule (just something visual aids) just for those who are looking to play as fair as possible. Not as something we can catch people with it since it's impossible.

I'll be monitoring this thread instead someone comes with a good reason not to.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2011, 10:08 PM »

+1 imo this topic probably did more damage then it helped

Offline StepS

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34 PM »

+1 imo this topic probably did more damage then it helped
yep, I think this thread is a waste of time, since you can't prevent it anyway, so let it go. If the buddy does that, he is responsible for what he does, for his monitor, etc. No need to discuss this any further.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2011, 01:07 AM »
Considering the number of people who voted, I don't think this thread will reach that many people's eyes. And it's definitely important enough to talk about, since there was plenty of disagreement on the subject, and it impacts the game.

Offline StepS

« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2011, 04:24 AM »
Considering the number of people who voted, I don't think this thread will reach that many people's eyes. And it's definitely important enough to talk about, since there was plenty of disagreement on the subject, and it impacts the game.

you may disagree as much as you want. But cheaters will cheat. And you can't do anything about this. This is life.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2011, 05:31 AM »
Disapprobation is at least a mild deterrent StepS. However the goal here was to define what qualifies as cheating, for the honest players.