Forums
April 28, 2024, 12:16 AM

Author Topic: Remapping arrow keys  (Read 819 times)

Offline Rabbzz

Remapping arrow keys
« on: June 02, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Hey there I use sharpkeys (which writes to the registry) to remap my arrow keys to the numpad. Sometimes It feel like the remapped keys aren't as responsive as the original keys. Just wondering if its just my head or could this actually be the case?

Offline Rabbzz

Re: Remapping arrow keys
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:42 AM »
Anyone?

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:48 AM »
I haven't used that program, I use the numpad as arrows too but with Intes Key Changer, no problem at all (on 3 diff. Windows, and many KB's, usb, ps2)

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:19 AM »
Yea I think it's just my brain being silly sometimes haha

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:14 AM »
KeyTweak and Intes also write to the registry afaic

They're defnietely not less responsive when remapping than sharpkeys
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline StepS

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 08:00 AM »
The reason why keys are less responsive is because the game runs on foreground in exclusive fullscreen, taking most of the resources on itself, and smashing out the external programs in performance: this has always been the case with arbitrary keychangers that don't work on the low level.
This is one of the reasons for wkRemapKeys: it works at the WA's own code level and therefore eliminates any possible lags.
Another guy also made wkBindKeys, but it is systemwide (every app in your system will be affected) and requires a toggle button to turn off.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Ah ok I thought using a program that writes to the registry and doesn't actually run in the background would get rid of any lag in the keys.

I think ill just try play without any remaps.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 09:33 AM »
Ah ok I thought using a program that writes to the registry and doesn't actually run in the background would get rid of any lag in the keys.

you're still right. programs like keychange or keytweak, that write in the registry, offer no noticeable input lag ingame.

there are other programs that remap keys and work differently in real time or whatever, but many of those don't even work with WA
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:57 AM »
I see, thank you

Offline Lex

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 02:07 AM »
It's possible that the vague feeling of disconnection you're experiencing is due to what is known as "ghosting", which is when a high number of keys pressed simultaneously causes a number of them to be ignored due to the primitive internal keyboard design.  Here is an article that explains what I'm talking about.

http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/content/projects/AntiGhostingExplained.aspx

What I'm saying is that it may not be "lag" or "unresponsiveness" at all.  It may be that you are having to play around a problem and you can't easily identify what the problem is.  I hope this helps.  If not, I can't really think of anything else it could be.  Remapping keys in the Windows registry does not add latency to the keystrokes, in my experience.

If this is your problem, you will probably want to find and buy a keyboard that advertises or specifies "NKRO", "N-key rollover", "6-key rollover", or something similar, which just means that N (a variable number) keys can be activated simultaneously and registered by the computer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:09 AM by Lex »