Forums
April 27, 2024, 08:49 PM

Author Topic: Wireless Keyboard For Roping?  (Read 552 times)

Offline Kradie

Wireless Keyboard For Roping?
« on: February 14, 2024, 04:36 PM »
Long ago back in 2015 I had a cheap wireless keyboard, and it was shit for roping. I learned that wireless wasn't the answer for roping. Fast forward today I wonder if there are any wireless keyboard that can be used for roping, and still rope like you normally would on a wired? Such as Logitech G915 TKL. Any thought on it or any wireless keyboard in general?

That's it for now.

Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Sir-J

Re: Wireless Keyboard For Roping?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 05:51 PM »
Wireless keyboards are fine for roping when used in 2.4 Ghz connection. Generally, only Bluetooth has horrible latency so I'd avoid that. With that being said, there are a couple options that meet the criteria:

1. Logitech G915 / TKL. Low latency in 2.4 ghz connection and long battery life (can go for several months without charging). However, keycaps will develop shine over time and switches can't be replaced: if a switch breaks after warranty period you won't be able to fix it.
2. Keychron K5 Max / K1 Max. Very customizable keyboard: switches and keycaps are replaceable. Comes with QMK/VIA support which allows to remap keys, create macros, key combinations and so on. Very well built overall: high quality double-shot PBT keycaps, switches and stabilizers are factory lubed. In terms of noise level it is comparatively quiet: I have a K3 Pro which is almost identical to this keyboard and I was surprised to find how quiet it is. Even Logitech K120, a membrane keyboard, is louder. However, battery life leaves a lot to be desired - it can only work for about a week without charging. Also, backlighting on it is useless because it doesn't shine through keycaps.

There are other options but I've only watched reviews or had personal experience with these two.

Online Wolfgang

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 05:51 PM »
yoo, i have like 13 years using this keyboard for roping (Genius)
16:26: Husks> tell now xD more demon soul cannot be wolfy MAYBE??? 
16:26: TaG`Wolfgang> DUNNO IF IM WOLFY OR A DEMON 
16:27: Husks> GO DEMON AWAY FROM MY FRIENDMATE WOLFGANG CONCHETUMARE!!!!!!!!!!1111111111 LEAVEEEEEE 
16:27: TaG`Wolfgang> xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Offline Kradie

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 06:48 PM »
Wireless keyboards are fine for roping when used in 2.4 Ghz connection. Generally, only Bluetooth has horrible latency so I'd avoid that. With that being said, there are a couple options that meet the criteria:

1. Logitech G915 / TKL. Low latency in 2.4 ghz connection and long battery life (can go for several months without charging). However, keycaps will develop shine over time and switches can't be replaced: if a switch breaks after warranty period you won't be able to fix it.
2. Keychron K5 Max / K1 Max. Very customizable keyboard: switches and keycaps are replaceable. Comes with QMK/VIA support which allows to remap keys, create macros, key combinations and so on. Very well built overall: high quality double-shot PBT keycaps, switches and stabilizers are factory lubed. In terms of noise level it is comparatively quiet: I have a K3 Pro which is almost identical to this keyboard and I was surprised to find how quiet it is. Even Logitech K120, a membrane keyboard, is louder. However, battery life leaves a lot to be desired - it can only work for about a week without charging. Also, backlighting on it is useless because it doesn't shine through keycaps.

There are other options but I've only watched reviews or had personal experience with these two.
Interesting. Thank you for the Info. I've been thinking about wireless for sometime. Though i am wondering if Logitech is thinking of releasing a successor to their G915, hmm.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 09:09 PM »
I literally have the Logitech 915 Lightspeed TKL and done a live review on Twitch:

Wireless isn't the same as it used to be, I don't know this as well as KRD but he can explain it better.

The technology for wireless has improved so much some claim it's actually better than wired.

Needless to say, the Logitech wireless is a great option, although expensive.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 11:47 AM »
The technology for wireless has improved so much some claim it's actually better than wired.

Not an expert.. But pretty sure that isn't the case. And never will be for that matter! Wire is wire.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 01:27 PM »
Not an expert.. But pretty sure that isn't the case. And never will be for that matter! Wire is wire.

Not an expert either but the evidence is there from what I've read and had others tell me.

Wireless is becoming more powerful than wired apparently, which makes sense because wired is already efficient enough, wireless wasn't, so they work to improve that, now they have!

Either way, Wireless is definitely better than it was 5-10 years ago.

I get ZERO lag whatsoever roping with this in Wireless mode...

I am, still quite paranoid though lol. It was KRD who told me about this stuff and explained it well at the time but I can't remember what it was or where the conversation was to find it.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 02:18 PM »
Wireless is becoming more powerful than wired apparently

Wireless indeed can be more powerful if its polling rate/latency is better than what wire can offer nowadays - 1000 Hz/1ms.

Bloody seems to be where to start your search for powerful wireless tools from.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 02:23 PM »
I have heard about similar stuff about wireless too, that It has Improved significantly over the years, and that it matches that of a wired one, perhaps a step above or could be sometime in the future. Nevertheless, we live in exciting time of technologies.

I have been eyeing on some wireless peripherals that Includes headphones too and it is all for the sake of convenience and aesthetics. Though I have always been sworn to wired when it comes to headphones because it is cheaper and delivers better audio quality that of wireless. But what worries me is the rope sound delay, it could mess up the perception. Thoughts? Sorry for slight off topic, I could had named this topic for ''Wireless peripherals for Worms Armageddon'' heh.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 03:42 PM »
I guess wireless headphones did evolve too, so they are worth considering. Regular bluetooth TWS earplugs add some delay but it is not critical, as far as i can recall, the aforementioned Q2 could be played with those.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 05:34 PM »
I get ZERO lag whatsoever roping with this in Wireless mode...

Bit of an off-topic, but not really:

Weren't we already had discussion about you using vertical sync in W:A (which adds really notable input delay), and you haven't noticed it while roping!? Or got so used to it that it seemed normal to you? Don't get me wrong, but if you don't notice vertical sync being turned on, I don't think you would notice difference between wire and wireless as well.. (which is a bless and I'm kinda jealous)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 08:49 PM »
Bit of an off-topic, but not really:

Weren't we already had discussion about you using vertical sync in W:A (which adds really notable input delay), and you haven't noticed it while roping!? Or got so used to it that it seemed normal to you? Don't get me wrong, but if you don't notice vertical sync being turned on, I don't think you would notice difference between wire and wireless as well.. (which is a bless and I'm kinda jealous)

What? I don't use vertical sync in any game, it always makes it worse with screen tears etc.

I notice a difference between old wireless, but not this one.