Forums
April 29, 2024, 07:36 PM

Poll

Do you prefer to keep WO the way it was, or would you like to have an improved version of the tournament system?

I am nostalgic.
7 (31.8%)
Let us move ahead.
9 (40.9%)
I really do not care.
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: September 13, 2023, 01:53 PM

Author Topic: Worm Olympics  (Read 2108 times)

Offline rUNaW4y

• “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
Worm Olympics
« on: June 15, 2023, 10:06 AM »
Dear all,

After a few discussions I had with some key people during the last months (e.g., @DarkOne, @SiD, @CS and @Zemke), I/we come up with the idea that WO should be brought to life again.

So far, this is what remains of the main website we used to be familiar with:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221121201207/http://wormolympics.com/

Unfortunately, it seems there is no way (for the time being) to take control over the website which (in addition) is offline due to domain’s expiration: no source code, no admin rights, etc.
After a quick discussion with @Florian Zemke (who kindly offered himself as a full-stack developer), a good option seemed to be the development of a new web application (probably with a fresh and more attractive layout). Of course, we should first make sure that the original WO can really not be salvaged.

Another point for the discussion is related to the back-end logic of the old application which includes the tournament system (e.g., points, patterns, etc.). A few questions arise: Should this be kept as it was? Should it be updated?

Considering all these bullet points, it would be nice to have as many opinions/considerations/feedback/information as possible from you all, as end-users and as people who potentially were (partially/fully) in charge of the old web application.

Bests,
‘rUNaW4y

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
Re: Worm Olympics
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 10:55 AM »
First of all, thanks for the information and details. Now it's more clear what happened with the website, etc. Second of all, good to know people are planning to revive WO. Third of all, my opinion about this:

I think the new website must receive a new name. I think that if the administration will be different, the interface will be different, and the point system will be different (I hope so), it shodn't be called just "Worm Olympics". The original WO had its life, it is the end of a cycle and now we are beginning a new cycle.

So, I really expect improvements and not just make the same thing again to feed the nostalgia of conservative players. This being said, I think: if the idea is to make significative changes to the system, the website, the format, it should receive a completely new name.

If the idea is to keep almost everything as it was, but change some details, it should be called "Worm Olympics Revisited", "WO New Edition", "WO Lives", "WO Gourmet" or whatever the name.

If the idea is to keep everything exactly as it was, I think it can keep the same name: WO. So, it would be like a band that after decades reunited again and released a new album. Even so, that new album may have been created by exactly the same people, but due to the time gap, these members are already completely different compared to the early years of the band, and, it will not be the same thing, even if they preserve the characteristics of the sound of the band, the core elements of the first albums. I think it's more interesting to create something new, accepting that the time passed and now the times are different. The community is different. So, if this band will reunite, I expect it to make a new sonority that doesn't cut its roots, but brings a more mature vibe and feelings.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:02 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline rUNaW4y

• “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 01:46 PM »
First of all, thanks for the information and details. Now it's more clear what happened with the website, etc. Second of all, good to know people are planning to revive WO. Third of all, my opinion about this:

I think the new website must receive a new name. I think that if the administration will be different, the interface will be different, and the point system will be different (I hope so), it shodn't be called just "Worm Olympics". The original WO had its life, it is the end of a cycle and now we are beginning a new cycle.

So, I really expect improvements and not just make the same thing again to feed the nostalgia of conservative players. This being said, I think: if the idea is to make significative changes to the system, the website, the format, it should receive a completely new name.

If the idea is to keep almost everything as it was, but change some details, it should be called "Worm Olympics Revisited", "WO New Edition", "WO Lives", "WO Gourmet" or whatever the name.

If the idea is to keep everything exactly as it was, I think it can keep the same name: WO. So, it would be like a band that after decades reunited again and released a new album. Even so, that new album may have been created by exactly the same people, but due to the time gap, these members are already completely different compared to the early years of the band, and, it will not be the same thing, even if they preserve the characteristics of the sound of the band, the core elements of the first albums. I think it's more interesting to create something new, accepting that the time passed and now the times are different. The community is different. So, if this band will reunite, I expect it to make a new sonority that doesn't cut its roots, but brings a more mature vibe and feelings.
Noted.

Offline SIBASA

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 11:51 PM »
I can help with web and mobile design
if anything write to the discord

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 02:01 AM »
I can provide moral support and pep talks

EDIT: sorry i meant oral support

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • UC UC clan

• Might come back later idk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 04:13 AM »
I can provide moral support and pep talks

EDIT: sorry i meant oral support

i just logged on to say
walro you bastard i hope you are doing fine
Mole shopper is the worst thing in the world.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 09:09 AM »
There were some dramas about mods cheating with pairings, until PyroMan came up with RandomBot. At this point it's probably better to make an automated system like TUS tournaments or FNI Tourney Manager. The downsides of these systems is that with bad number of players tree may be a disaster, while with the classic system you could sometimes tweak it with lucky losers, have a 3 way final or something.
Also with current activity I think tourneys will only work in european evening hours, so it should probably be 1 tourney a day with schemes selected by staff.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 09:23 AM by Korydex »

Offline OrangE

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 11:00 PM »
Wow WA still active??

Whatsup guys  ;D

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 11:28 PM »
Wow WA still active??

Whatsup guys  ;D
hey orrrrrange

Offline Casso

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2023, 01:21 AM »
Wow WA still active??

Whatsup guys  ;D

Weeeee, we are still alive

Offline Godmax

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2023, 08:44 AM »
The system is secondary lets just do it

Online Sbaffo

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 12:39 PM »
Ma che è ooooohhhhh

Offline OrangE

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 03:02 PM »
BBBBUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
quanti italiani nullafacenti

Offline OrangE

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2023, 03:25 PM »
You guys still playing everyday? AG?
Still clanning? Who's the best clan right now?

Offline Lancelot

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2023, 04:28 PM »
Dear all,

After a few discussions I had with some key people during the last months (e.g., @DarkOne, @SiD, @CS and @Zemke), I/we come up with the idea that WO should be brought to life again.

So far, this is what remains of the main website we used to be familiar with:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221121201207/http://wormolympics.com/

Unfortunately, it seems there is no way (for the time being) to take control over the website which (in addition) is offline due to domain’s expiration: no source code, no admin rights, etc.
After a quick discussion with @Florian Zemke (who kindly offered himself as a full-stack developer), a good option seemed to be the development of a new web application (probably with a fresh and more attractive layout). Of course, we should first make sure that the original WO can really not be salvaged.

Another point for the discussion is related to the back-end logic of the old application which includes the tournament system (e.g., points, patterns, etc.). A few questions arise: Should this be kept as it was? Should it be updated?

Considering all these bullet points, it would be nice to have as many opinions/considerations/feedback/information as possible from you all, as end-users and as people who potentially were (partially/fully) in charge of the old web application.

Bests,
‘rUNaW4y

If I am talking about WO moderations, I personally would not change anything. one of the main reasons why WO has become inactive is the lack of active players

I’ll add something else that came as a surprise to me, the fact that there is no access to the WO website.

Have you talked to Steps? It seems to me that it is also related to the site.