Forums
April 28, 2024, 09:28 AM

Poll

Do you prefer to keep WO the way it was, or would you like to have an improved version of the tournament system?

I am nostalgic.
7 (31.8%)
Let us move ahead.
9 (40.9%)
I really do not care.
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: September 13, 2023, 01:53 PM

Author Topic: Worm Olympics  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Korydex

Re: Worm Olympics
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2023, 04:33 PM »
You guys still playing everyday? AG?
Still clanning? Who's the best clan right now?
ae! yeah there were a bunch of clanners played in the last couple of years. prolly CKC is the best rn.
btw do you have your old streams saved somewhere? those were one of the first WA streams ever!

Offline Lancelot

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 04:34 PM »
There were some dramas about mods cheating with pairings, until PyroMan came up with RandomBot. At this point it's probably better to make an automated system like TUS tournaments or FNI Tourney Manager. The downsides of these systems is that with bad number of players tree may be a disaster, while with the classic system you could sometimes tweak it with lucky losers, have a 3 way final or something.
Also with current activity I think tourneys will only work in european evening hours, so it should probably be 1 tourney a day with schemes selected by staff.

one or two tournaments a day, mostly in the evenings in Europe - I support the idea. I would also add that in this case, WO season can be extended by two or three weeks.

Offline Lancelot

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2023, 04:47 PM »
First of all, thanks for the information and details. Now it's more clear what happened with the website, etc. Second of all, good to know people are planning to revive WO. Third of all, my opinion about this:

I think the new website must receive a new name. I think that if the administration will be different, the interface will be different, and the point system will be different (I hope so), it shodn't be called just "Worm Olympics". The original WO had its life, it is the end of a cycle and now we are beginning a new cycle.

So, I really expect improvements and not just make the same thing again to feed the nostalgia of conservative players. This being said, I think: if the idea is to make significative changes to the system, the website, the format, it should receive a completely new name.

If the idea is to keep almost everything as it was, but change some details, it should be called "Worm Olympics Revisited", "WO New Edition", "WO Lives", "WO Gourmet" or whatever the name.

If the idea is to keep everything exactly as it was, I think it can keep the same name: WO. So, it would be like a band that after decades reunited again and released a new album. Even so, that new album may have been created by exactly the same people, but due to the time gap, these members are already completely different compared to the early years of the band, and, it will not be the same thing, even if they preserve the characteristics of the sound of the band, the core elements of the first albums. I think it's more interesting to create something new, accepting that the time passed and now the times are different. The community is different. So, if this band will reunite, I expect it to make a new sonority that doesn't cut its roots, but brings a more mature vibe and feelings.

The name of the event itself is quite justified. The system by which points were awarded and everything in this sense - it worked properly, and I don't see anything better at the moment.
I remember there were problems with the tournament grid when tournaments were moderated, I would also note one moment when I uploaded the game recording to the site - but the players still didn’t count it, as a result they lost points, etc.

While I was writing this message, I thought that it would be best to try to run the Olympiad season without making any changes. First of all, in order to see who will come to play. Then, having data about activity, come up with something else. There will be no players - there will be no point in the idea of ​​reviving WO

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2023, 05:02 PM »
ae! yeah there were a bunch of clanners played in the last couple of years. prolly CKC is the best rn.
btw do you have your old streams saved somewhere? those were one of the first WA streams ever!
doubt it ive seen CKC, bunch of f@#!in noobs

Offline OrangE

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2023, 06:01 PM »

No sadly I don't!
I remember casting a tournament with barman  ;D
But that channel got deleted, so no videos. There wasn't really too much there tho, only that tournament and few games, that's all

Offline Big Billy

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2023, 07:29 PM »
I would let the basis system the way it is - like that the tourneys are over a month.
And I also would still call it WO.

I wonder if we could discord for our advantage here, brings ppl easier together..

And since I'm also a fullstack developper, call me in when you need one. Happy to help out here if its coding or designing, since I would love to see WO back !!!

Offline Lancelot

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2023, 09:30 AM »
WO is a reason to get back into the game, at least once or twice a year) at least for me. I think this applies to many players

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2023, 01:00 PM »
Instead of relying on Ffie to revive WO (which she stopped caring about it anymore), why not create the brand new website from scratch? I believe Zemke would be a big help for us to create another WO website way better and organized than Ffie's one, of course we would help to donate him too. Or he can alter the Experimental League website to WO (since ESL is inactive and very less people are interested in it).

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline melbo

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2024, 02:18 AM »
I remember something, maybe on WO, in the old time when there was maybe more and quite activity. Bah,I prefer all Worms Armageddon,but something is unpreticable and not the same. I rehost all "Worms Armageddon",but all is disappeared when we pronuncied something that it wasnt't the same obviously. All competition,unfortunantely,were important today,but this mistake is very big.
Restore!