Do you think WA is in it's prime?

Yes - Things have never been better
8 (16%)
No - I have preferred past times more
21 (42%)
I love WA, always have and always will, nothing has changed for me
21 (42%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Worms Armageddon - In it's prime?  (Read 8953 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: Worms Armageddon - In it's prime?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 05:12 PM »
When I was a little boy, my dad used to take me to this beach. Fishermen had put big rocks from beach way into the sea, so that they go further/deeper in the sea for fishing. I used to swim next to rocks. The sun was hitting the water making everything so bright and beautiful. I used to swim in the water and open my eyes to see what's in the water. There were plants, little crabs near the rocks, fishes swimming around. Boy you had to see it. I even caught 3 fishes by my bare hands.

Well years later, I went to that beach again, trying to feel the familiar beauty again. Every object on that beach were in its same place. But not only I didn't feel that beauty, I felt depressed thinking it's all gone ...

Back on W:A, I see many oldschools moaning about the past. About the experience they had back in 10 years ago and how perfect everything was. I think you know where I'm going with this. So I stop here.

Personally I don't think W:A has changed in any bad way. It has changed for sure. But it is just the same as life. The life style we know today is different from 20 years ago. It changed to the way it is now because it was needed. Because there was a need which forced it to change to suit our needs.

Today's W:A doesn't want to experience the "2003 W:A". Today's W:A needed Hysteria, Kaos ...

Having said that, EVEN if all your arguments about past were true, this kind of thinking are not creative. Let's say everything with today's W:A is wrong. Well your way of thinking is not helping at all. Oldschool mean to have been here for long and having enough experience. Every community needs its oldschools experience to move forward. What good is a moaning oldschool? To tell us we're going down?

Maybe it would work if we could gather all members of W:A and we all mourn together for several hours? Why would we even waste our time thinking about how good past was?

I've seek many of oldchools that I could contact for their advice. Some of them helped me, some ignored and some rejected me.

@KRD, I'm not against oldschools. You once used this against TUS that I'm not open to oldschools. I'm against every behavior that encourages mourning about the past instead of moving forward.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 06:33 PM »
I think that ANYONE who plays a game for 10 years+ will look back and miss the old days.  It's a natural life-cycle.

You start playing, first few years getting adapted, learning the ropes and maturing as a player, then you hit your prime, when you're super active, having super fun with all your super mates which you were totally motivated to go out and find, you are really psyched about everything and everything is great :).....then months pass and INEVITABLY people will move on and do other stuff with their lives, these people and the times you spent together will become fond memories.

It's like everyone has a similar story to tell about their experiences of worms, yet we all started at different times.  I am relatively new-school compared to others here yet I too miss the old days and the people I knew, the games I used to play.

The game naturally evolves and schemes will come in and out of popularity, players will come and go; the most important factor in all this is our own life-cycle.  From newb, to learner, to semi-pro, to pro, then finally becoming a critic.

Nothing can replace the old days when we journeyed through the world of discovery which is worms and wormnet.

It's perfectly natural to be 10 years into this process and feel that nothing can compare to the old days.

*edit* - Kinda what you said MI.  But I didn't read your post before writing mine.  Great minds and all that :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:35 PM by Cueshark »

Offline nino

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 01:39 AM »
I dont really remember what year i started to play it, i think it was 2002 or 2003, ye it was really fun to spend all day playing it when i didnot have a sooo busy life like nowadays, i miss so many things of old times, nowadays i dont even workout anymore cos no time, dont play WA so often cos no time, but it doesnot make things worst, thats how life works and we just must accept this.

There were so good times before ye, but while iam alive ill keep playing this game lol, will be fun when peoples ask "how long u play this game?" 43 years.  u? xDDDD
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Lex

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07 AM »
Not that I care very much, but MonkeyIsland has posted the only thing worth reading in this thread.  I read it all, but I wish I'd just read MonkeyIsland's post.  It's not because of his points.  It's because of the beauty of the first section.  Thanks for that imagery, MonkeyIsland.  :)

This is similar to atheist/religious arguments.  I'd prefer to just stay agnostic because the whole debate is pointless.

Offline CyberShadow

• W:A maintainer

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 03:38 AM »
Missing poll option: No - I think W:A's prime time is yet to come :P

Offline franz

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 03:43 AM »

best reply

/endthread

;>

Offline Ray

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 07:29 AM »
Whoa, a lot of things have been said here. Impossible to separate any sides though, as I think - like it was mentioned - every single person experiences this game and it's community, the time spent with them differently from different aspects, thus having different expectations that the game and it's community has to live up for - which is obviously impossible.

Let me give you my opinion, my experience, how I have lived these days spent with this game. I started playing in 2007, for the simple reason that we first got internet connection then. I was eager to try all my old games in multiplayer, because I could never imagine how it would be to play against other people in the galaxy. :) I remember I inserted disc after disc and slowly found out that people on the internet who played those games were all dicks. They called me things like "noob" which I didn't know what it meant, I was being kicked, laughed at...

Then, somehow, I stumbled upon the old, weary, dusty disc of WWP so I thought I'd give it a try. And things were different. I joined a game (I believe it was a WxW) and after my very strategic and well-thought-out first bazooka hit, the guy said: "oh, you don't know the rules!". And that's where the difference came in related to other games. I wasn't kicked. He didn't leave the game. There wasn't even namecalling. He asked me if I spoke English so he could start explaining. That is the reason I sticked with this game.

Soon after, at the beginning of 2008 I switched to WA and it was really different, my first game I played was a Big BnA, which was way beyond my imagination that was built on WWP. But people were still nice, friendly, helpful.

Bringing back the time when one has the excitement of exploring a new game is impossible. To people like KRD, you can't show much new and as new generations come to WormNET, I don't think KRD will enjoy playing with them. Yes, I'm talking about the newbies, no insult intented, they are simply too young. :) It's a natural thing, new faces show up, although it has been very radical in the past 6 months I think, this is only a guess, but I think some company sells the game in Brazilia now, lot of new players from there. I wonder if MI could check the amount of new people registering in the 6 months and compare them to the previous ones... something like that would be good, piecharts make you look smart you know... 8)

Now for a few things mentioned.

First of all, I read KRD's article and I have to say I somewhat share his feelings.

KRD said something about not seeing schemes hosted like TTRR and he also mentioned the lack of quality maps, although we have the technology. Good point. As for the TTRR example, I believe it's the same symptom as BnG - people can not play it! You don't enjoy doing something that you are simply unable to, right? Especially if there are countless of better possibilities, like Hysteria in this case. More fun for them.

Not to mention, in the old days, there was RRkit! There was HHC's tutorials (which still are up by the way, just barely visited I think and very outdated). The point is, there is no real step-by-step, "learntheschemein5minutes" tutorial on the internet! There is just none. There is TUS Schools, right? Still not released, even though it's basically working and that's a little critic to MI for not focusing on it.

Same that KRD mentioned with quality map making tutorials.

Personally I don't think W:A has changed in any bad way. It has changed for sure. But it is just the same as life. The life style we know today is different from 20 years ago. It changed to the way it is now because it was needed. Because there was a need which forced it to change to suit our needs.

Today's W:A doesn't want to experience the "2003 W:A". Today's W:A needed Hysteria, Kaos ...

I have to disagree with that. It's not what this game needed, I think there should have been a lot more focus on keeping the old traditions alive and nurturing the newcomers so they learn what the ways of this game, the older community is so that they can basically step in our footsteps. Of course, doing that besides assuring they have their room to jump into their creativity and create new schemes as well. Unfortunately, there were no enough enthusiastic people who shared this opinion, so this failed basically.

To finish, I don't only miss things - like the excitement of exploring the game, new friends, first clanner, first league game ( :-* Tower) - but in my personal view, there are a few things that are just wrong in today's community. The biggest example is the clan's that don't play clanners. And the meaningless communities. I could go on and on...

There are a lot of things on my mind, I even made some notes what I want to mention while reading... :D Anyway, these were my thoughts.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 07:46 AM »
I obviously do miss "the old days" on Worms like alot of other people, but at the same time, just be glad you were actually there at the time to enjoy it, and move on like most of us, this game, in a small way is similar to life, you only get what you make from it, put more effort into trying to enjoy it, and the more likely than less you will enjoy it.

Lol I never thought of this, good point :)

Offline Rendered

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 09:45 AM »
bring back the old times ne1?

Offline flex

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 01:42 PM »
A detail for the emo pandas : Stating there have been better times doesn't mean today is bad, just saying.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 02:10 PM »
A detail for the emo pandas : Stating there have been better times doesn't mean today is bad, just saying.

Lol mate, when it comes to THIS subject, we are ALL emo, it shows ;)

And we have a right to be :)

Offline Ray

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Noone said today is bad, only that the old was better. ;)

Offline flex

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I didn't say that someone said it.

Offline Crazy

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Stop being such a wise-ass flex, it doesnt suit you

Offline flex

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 07:35 PM »
I don't know what's up with you but you need your head examined  ;D