Forums
April 27, 2024, 04:54 PM

Author Topic: Worms History - From Rankings to the birth of TUS  (Read 19313 times)

Offline Anubis

Re: Worms History - From Rankings to the birth of TUS
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2016, 03:23 PM »
Inspired by the debate with avirex and TheWalrus about pickable schemes in WACL, I'm trying to wayback them for all the legacy leagues

AL:
Couldn't find :(

I'm looking forward to your details/corrections!

I am co-founder of AL. We had Elite, BnG, Roper, TTRR, Team17 and Shopper/WXW (same rating).

Offline Korydex

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2016, 04:31 PM »
Inspired by the debate with avirex and TheWalrus about pickable schemes in WACL, I'm trying to wayback them for all the legacy leagues

AL:
Couldn't find :(

I'm looking forward to your details/corrections!

I am co-founder of AL. We had Elite, BnG, Roper, TTRR, Team17 and Shopper/WXW (same rating).
Thank you! I updated the post

-I extracted the database from my former worms site to get all the hashed passwords. I recovered some of those passwords, using them to gain access to admin accounts on other worms sites, from which i downloaded the databases/hashed passwords. I also stole the databases from a few sites which I hosted on my web server. RRkit, and Syc0's short-lived league called AL, and maybe a small forum or two. Had a list of over 2000 people's decoded passwords at one point. Ultimately gained admin access to cl2k with a friend's help, got the database, and friend deleted the whole site. Cl2k never really came back after that. That sucks - cl2k was a great site. We very nearly did the same thing to blamethepixel.
Wow. I don't want to make you feel more guilty than you do already, but of all the things you've listed, this is probably the worst. The worst part about this is that there was no backup, and all the cl2k forum posts were lost forever. Although I did save some threads on my hard drive (mainly ones where replays were being shared).
Can you share the replays please?

Offline Senator

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2016, 04:37 PM »
FB had these schemes earlier: Battle Race, BnG, Pro / Elite, Fort, Roper, Rope Race, Shopper, Team17

http://web.archive.org/web/20041019160811/http://www.laene.nl/fb/index.php?p=rules

Offline Korydex

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2016, 04:50 PM »
FB had these schemes earlier: Battle Race, BnG, Pro / Elite, Fort, Roper, Rope Race, Shopper, Team17

http://web.archive.org/web/20041019160811/http://www.laene.nl/fb/index.php?p=rules

Thanks, added that!

Offline Tomi

« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2016, 06:22 PM »
Sick story there j0e, but nice that you have changed and regret those things, however I am sure not everyone can forgive you easily.. I guess there are some people who better not read that post. Anyway the moral of the story is still the same: don't use the same password for a game and for your bank account and it is very dangerous to open a non-trusted application.

By the way a tell your worms story (/ apologize) topic could have some interesting writings I guess.. unfortunately I would have to add there some words too, because I ruined the hungarian league anno with really stupid things I regret already. Ah and I also had access to things I shouldn't have (since I also had some worms sites), but I never abuse that situation for bad things. (nothing related to GS here, don't worry guys :D)

Little on topic: I have the source code and the db of the hungarian league still, but this might be interesting only for some hungarian players. And this topic has convienced me that I should backup the nW site also, because it is a nice memory for some people I guess.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:43 PM by Tomi »

Offline darKz

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2016, 07:57 PM »
So that's where cl2k went.. Damn.
Bold move to come clean about it Joe, mucho respecto.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Anubis

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2016, 12:58 AM »
I also did lots of silly things, one was to send MrE the logged static IP on AL from ropa to him. I think ropa lost his stuff and all, he hates me to this day and would never play with me agai... wait.. :O

Offline Y2JID

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2016, 06:55 PM »
That would be awesome.

It's going great. Life makes it a bit harder to play video games now a days. Browsing this site makes me wish I had never stopped playing this one.

Would be pretty entertaining to see SilentMime troll the shit out of people.
puma¡!!!!!!  Holy shit long time
Uh, yo, it just so happen this how Y2JID thing started
Flip two aces and get two face cards
It happens, chip stackin'
I turn around, see a bunch of chicks clappin'
But a girl walked by, caught my eye
So I said, 'What the f@#!, stand here and give me luck'
And she whispered in my ear
A purple one on there and put a pink one on there

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2016, 07:00 PM »
That would be awesome.

It's going great. Life makes it a bit harder to play video games now a days. Browsing this site makes me wish I had never stopped playing this one.

Would be pretty entertaining to see SilentMime troll the shit out of people.
puma¡!!!!!!  Holy shit long time
Yeah it has been a long time

Puma
Last Active: July 15, 2012, 12:05 PM

Since puma last logged in.  You'd have more success reaching him with smoke signals.

Offline nino

« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2016, 12:07 AM »

CL2K - Clan League 2000:

Hall of Fame:

Seasons:
                Clans - (1st, 2nd, 3rd)                                   Singles (1st, 2nd, 3rd) - Div1                      Singles (1st, 2nd, 3rd) - Div2               
Season 1:                 LaG, KASC, LoR                                              Slothball, Kopite, MPH                                   No div 2
Season 2:                 WEF, DID, FWF                                              MPH, Kevin, YNWA                                        No div 2
Season 3:                 PSU, SOS, WWW                                            MPH, Devastation, Snickers (Div 1)                  DarkMavis, DonerKebab, WormZ (Div 2)
Season 5:                 EiF, OSW, SFX                                               MPH, Snickers, DarkMavis (Div 1)                     ShadyMilkman, Destroyer, Tjerp (Div 2)         
Season 6:                 OSW, SFX, x2x YNWA,                                     MPH, Devastation (Div 1)                               EnDoxoNe, Dodgefreak, 187 (Div 2)             
Season 18:               WWA                                                            Data lost                                                    Data lost
Season 25:               DT, x2x, CKC                                                  Mablak, Almog, Nino                                      KRD (Rotated league)

Staff: PooMachine, UltraViolent, MrLee, MrBishie, Thorask, DirtyRat, Liberty, MPH, EviL, Zepho, DeathRaven.
* Lots of data missing
awwww since 2000 playing this game thats really a lot of time!!! proud cos king!

You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2016, 08:45 AM »
Div2 DoN ne1?
RRape

Ugh - was a bad sportsman then!

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2016, 07:22 PM »
-I sent Deadcode a program I 'wrote' in visual basic which had a hidden freeware component that i downloaded from a website for 'script kiddies'. That free script let you browse a target's hard drive and download things. The visible part that I wrote was a simple form where you click on a gif of a fat kid repeatedly to make him dance. My goal was to steal WA's source code. This was when I had access to various beta builds via the alpha testing group and spoke with DC regularly. DC was too smart to heed my repeated advice to leave the program open (and download winsock dll's), but I am certain he knew (or later discovered) what was up. Good thing I was unsuccessful - probably would have released it and destroyed WA. I never really spoke to DC again after that.
I have no memory of this. I don't remember you sending me any programs, don't remember you asking me repeatedly to keep one open, nor talking about winsock DLLs. I have pretty much always been cautious about such things, though.

Maybe with further details my memory could be jogged. I'd be quite curious to know. Do you remember the approximate date when this happened, and what means you used to send the program to me?

I'm guessing that if you did send me this program, I either ran it under a VM or never got around to running it at all.
A very long time ago on AIM - roughly 2003 or 2004. This was the gif: http://giphy.com/gifs/fat-11pVPEm3W6QS7S. I don't know if you ever opened it, but I definitely sent it. Figured you probably took precautions like that. The script added "|COMPLETE|" to the end of all the files it downloaded. I don't have regular access to my old worms files or I might be able to come up with a more exact date. I don't have the cl2k db anymore.

I found the programs JoE sent me:

Filenamevirustotal detection ratioTimestamp when downloaded
logo_program.exe2004-06-09 17:30:38 -0700
logo.exe2004-06-09 18:43:42 -0700
joeaaaachatV3.exe2004-06-09 20:20:06 -0700

Offline Prankster

« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2016, 12:40 AM »

By the way a tell your worms story (/ apologize) topic could have some interesting writings I guess.. unfortunately I would have to add there some words too, because I ruined the hungarian league anno with really stupid things I regret already. Ah and I also had access to things I shouldn't have (since I also had some worms sites), but I never abuse that situation for bad things. (nothing related to GS here, don't worry guys :D)

Little on topic: I have the source code and the db of the hungarian league still, but this might be interesting only for some hungarian players. And this topic has convienced me that I should backup the nW site also, because it is a nice memory for some people I guess.

What do you mean you ruined it? Thought it just died because of lack of interest. I'd be glad to see some history :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2016, 06:01 AM »
@Deadcode,

Does anything ever get deleted in your territory? :)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Nix

« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2016, 04:05 PM »
Greetings!  I was hoping to find the old top 100 rankings for W:A; even a screenshot will be fine.  I've looked all over the net and can't find it anywhere.  Thank you!

I started reminiscing of the old days of competitive worms and roping, those were the good days.  I think I was in EiF, Ropin' Raja (?) and maybe DFA but I can't really remember.  I recall playing with MaxDamage, MeNaCeDoG, NRGSpoon, Zippo, Hamster, Jmoberg, Jubei (great maps!), SuperSheep (?), FnB, and losing to the top Brazilian player, I cant remember his name, but I did win once or twice!

I was primarily a standard competitive player and made it to the top 50, I think, before they froze the leaderboards.  I then moved to roping and loved it.  I probably put years into this game and probably over a 1000 hours of game time.  This game was easily in my top 5 all time favorites, even today.