May 18, 2024, 12:35 AM

Poll

are you telling me W:A isn't dead !?!?

yes
33 (91.7%)
no
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Worms Reloaded--Does W:A still have server?  (Read 5591 times)

Offline Dub-c

Re: Worms Reloaded--Does W:A still have server?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Don't remember anyone named slacker, but hi.

You convinced me Komo, with the patches and everything the game itself is a lot better now. Still miss the people I use to play with though. Since you told us how passionate you are about this game I curious, did you ever cry any of the times Avirex made fun of you?

Once Tus gets its roper league going w:a will undoubtedly be in its PRIME!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:21 AM by Johnny »
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Why would I cry if something was funny ;)

I never once got annoyed when avi and shy made fun of me, however, there was a few times where I silently thought "good one" and laughed at it lol, I respect a good joke/prank.

Like when avi aliased as lalo, I did say in some thread a while ago, something like "it's pathetic you would do that but, I gotta admit, you got me so nice one lol"

I feel similar to avi, we do have a similar sense of humour when it comes to insults and winding people up.

Offline flex

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 01:26 PM »
*** LONG POST WARNING ***

Dunno why but it made me lol :D

So first I have nothing against TUS, I talk about the older leagues as reference points in the time and because there were more people playing.

I'm not gonna quote your whole post but I've read it all.  You talk about replays patches colour maps etc but they already were around at cl2k (not at its start obviously) and FB  :o

"More competitive because of the top players who have been playing since the beginning consistently"

I think the exact opposite (bad english but you'll get the point) and that's my main criteria : There are less active competitive clans/players than before. Remember nino's thread about the FB awards? In those lists 90% of the people are gone. I can even list the top players of nowadays : Mablak/Franz/Mirux/Random and maybe some that I don't know in the south-american crowd. And then a few others in specific schemes like bng and elite.

And even, less activity at all. (I don't talk about shoppa noobs) Yes TUS is active, but playoffs aren't played since what, 4 seasons? In previous leagues it was a big event. And clanners it's even worse, people have a hard time finding clanners.  Nowadays it's mostly noob bashing. I don't blame it, if I log on to clanner I'll play with whoever wants to too, it's just that as I said, there are less good players / clans. And after a while it's boring to play noobs, I know I'd prefer a good game.

But I'm thinking about something, you haven't really been into leagues no? Especially before you got mad with bng :D Because you don't seem to realize the difference, and you've been around for longer than me.
And not only in league, dude, just think for a second about all the good players/clans you knew over the years, there are so many o_0 And now compare with nowadays, it's just 4-5 people above everyone and 4-5 gd clans.

The community is still better than 3-4 years ago, where it was really dead. I really thought w:a was dead for good, there was no league at all for a while. (XTC = big fail :D) So on that point I agree with you, the game turned out better than what I thought too.

gl reading this mess and it will be my only long post it takes too much time, I'm not used to it, I'm not a forum diva like you :P :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:34 PM by flex »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 02:31 PM »
*** LONG POST WARNING ***

Dunno why but it made me lol :D

Yeah that was on purpose haha xD

And here it is again, but this time:

*** VERY LONG POST WARNING !!! ***

I'm not gonna quote your whole post but I've read it all.  You talk about replays patches colour maps etc but they already were around at cl2k (not at its start obviously) and FB  :o

I played in cl2k, but can't really remember it, I favoured WACL and FB/WL those were my fav leagues, replays didn't start until 2004/2005 and I thought we were talking about before this era?

"More competitive because of the top players who have been playing since the beginning consistently"

I think the exact opposite (bad english but you'll get the point) and that's my main criteria : There are less active competitive clans/players than before. Remember nino's thread about the FB awards? In those lists 90% of the people are gone. I can even list the top players of nowadays : Mablak/Franz/Mirux/Random and maybe some that I don't know in the south-american crowd. And then a few others in specific schemes like bng and elite.

I am honestly surprised you think that, there are MUCH more players experts in there specific field of schemes than there was back then, most people roped back then, alot of people can do more or less everything nowadays, to me, thats MUCH more competitive than 3 schemes, BnG, Elite and Roper, Mablak and Random are not even that far ahead of the game, so many players are so close to how good they are, Dulek, is absolutely magnificent, his all round skills imo are easily comparable to Mablak and Random, Zippo, although he isn't the most friendly player, is incredibly talented, Crash, also, is great, darKz is excellent also, daina is excellent all round also, I admit I am ridiculously ahead of the game when it comes to BnG,  99% of what I do, is BnG or BnG related, and I can still play every other scheme at least with average skill, I am still a strong Roper, I surprise people at TTRR, i've been getting grips with T17 and Elite recently, i'm not one of the best all-rounders, but I can give some of the best all-rounders a good challenge if I could be bothered, HHC is still a great all-rounder, man, honestly, there are countless "great" players today, I don't think you have played them all, or acknowledged the difference in todays needs as a competitive player.

And even, less activity at all. (I don't talk about shoppa noobs) Yes TUS is active, but playoffs aren't played since what, 4 seasons? In previous leagues it was a big event. And clanners it's even worse, people have a hard time finding clanners.  Nowadays it's mostly noob bashing. I don't blame it, if I log on to clanner I'll play with whoever wants to too, it's just that as I said, there are less good players / clans. And after a while it's boring to play noobs, I know I'd prefer a good game.

I agree with you here in some way, you make a strong point here that's hard to bounce off, PO does let TuS down, too many people are lazy, but they still get played eventually, and they are competitive, there is alot of noob bashing, but that has nothing to do with skill, this comes down to greed and fear of points, their skill still remains very talented, I refuse to believe you cannot find a good game, I sit on Wnet for at least 6 hours a day lol, and I see many great players at many different schemes, it's brilliant ! lol.

But I'm thinking about something, you haven't really been into leagues no? Especially before you got mad with bng :D Because you don't seem to realize the difference, and you've been around for longer than me.
And not only in league, dude, just think for a second about all the good players/clans you knew over the years, there are so many o_0 And now compare with nowadays, it's just 4-5 people above everyone and 4-5 gd clans.

I have been into leagues mate, i've been playing leagues since WACL, I am extremely sure I have played every main and major league, the most active ones that everyone were into when they were active, I do realise the difference, true, WA musn't be the same for you than it is for me, you must miss things you used to have in this game, most of the players we talk about that used to play, not just you and me, but alot of "oldschoolers", think about it, most of them were rope orientated, all the "legends" were rope orientated and rope just isn't as popular as it was back then, and if you are a hardcore roper, and haven't kept up with the times, i'm afraid it just won't be the same for those people...

The community is still better than 3-4 years ago, where it was really dead. I really thought w:a was dead for good, there was no league at all for a while. (XTC = big fail :D) So on that point I agree with you, the game turned out better than what I thought too.

I have never seen WA "dead" I have been active for 11 straight years, the point you are talking about is when alot of players left of boredom, or families/careers etc, true, half the Wnet population just up and left, but the other half still drove on strong, more alive than ever determined not to give up and work towards something greater and we started to rebuild a big community again, it has taken time yes, but we've got there, and i'd say it's better than before, the longest gap I went with this game was about 5-6 months, and that's when I was pussywhipped lol.

Yeah, I know i've acted a bit odd in the last months in these forums with some arguements other people find pointless, but at the same time, I feel proud of what I have achieved in this game and what i've gave back to this game and this community, i've almost single-handedly fought to keep BnG alive and interesting for people and spawned an army of hardcore BnG addicts who I have the best games and times with, Tournaments every week our own League, for me it couldn't be better, but it probably will be, actually, it will be :)

I can't help always looking on the bright side of life :)

Wow, only took me 10 minutes to type all this out lol...

I like big posts, I like to read, I like to talk to people and discuss things, I enjoy it lol, and I know there are some people here who actually appreciate a good discussion if it is civilised and makes sense...

Edit: Oh 1 more thing, 90% of those people aren't gone, some of them changed names ;)

Offline flex

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 03:23 PM »
"into leagues" I mean you weren't obseded by it, I do remember you were on forums and all, and you clanned with SfX sometimes, but I don't recall you playing singles that much, but that's another story lulz

About the top players you mentioned, the thing is I didn't play with them since 2-3 years (Crash Dulek) or don't know them (South americans as I said). And I thought Dark was inactive. And still, our list combined makes 10 people. We can argue about lists like this forever but it's dumb and noone cares, the thing is so few top players that's easy to list. But maybe there's some misunderstanding here, maybe we don't have the same definition of top player, and you tend to overrate people, that's your bright size of life thing auha

"acknowledged the difference in todays needs as a competitive player"

What's the difference? In fb you had to be a good allarounder too

And dude, noone is even close to Mablak, I'm not an asslicker but it's just facts, he owned every league, rr challenges, and now tel :p

Offline Crazy

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Far from every league Flex ;P Mablak didn`t own anyone in WL, he started owning first in CL2K, then FB, he barely played XTC, and havent played yet in TUS. I agree with Komo, I believe the level is higher now then it has ever been. We had the same discussion in XTC, and players with knowledge to decide if the level was higher or lower (this was in 2007), as in players who had played since the very beginning of WA, such as IBB, stated that the level had never been this high in league. I believe the level has improved even more then from three years ago.

Offline flex

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 06:13 PM »
I know he started owning in cl2k, so yea, every league except WL, lolz
And if he played tus he would own it aswell, he already owned TEL yet he has more challenge than in other schemes like roper or rr for exemple :p

And  for exemple for old clans like bS, x2x, susuii, OSW, dt, Starcoma etc clanners nowadays would be a piece of cake, give me a break lol :D

Offline Husk

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 06:29 PM »
thats just ur rant about how much better wa used to be than it is now o: i think clans like cf, cfc, mm and ps could give very good match against any of those fb time clans.

also there are several players in mm from x2x and dt (: so mm should be dominating?

Offline darKz

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 06:36 PM »
I agree with Komo, I believe the level is higher now then it has ever been. We had the same discussion in XTC, and players with knowledge to decide if the level was higher or lower (this was in 2007), as in players who had played since the very beginning of WA, such as IBB, stated that the level had never been this high in league. I believe the level has improved even more then from three years ago.
I totally agree on this, the skill level really has never been higher than these days. WA currently has lots of really good players, more than ever.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline flex

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 07:56 PM »
thats just ur rant about how much better wa used to be than it is now o: i think clans like cf, cfc, mm and ps could give very good match against any of those fb time clans.

also there are several players in mm from x2x and dt (: so mm should be dominating?

It's not a rant, Komo asked me to share my point of view, I couldnt let him down after his long post :P. And then I felt like giving an exemple, but I knew it would make people cringe.  So I don't know what your point is, if you feel it was intended for you it's not my problem.

"also there are several players in mm from x2x and dt"

Well spotted Sherlock, but is all of mm active? No. And Mablak doesn't play clanners much. dt = mm active + some who joined at some time, ropa, anubis...
And I dont know who was in x2x, maybe dibz, but not the active members nino/shyguy/avi
CF seem inactive in clanners, ps I don't know them.

But nowadays no clan tops the ones I quoted. Maybe I'm wrong as people disagree with something which I thought was obvious, but it won't make me change my mind. :P

That's all I'll have to say about the subject, I'm not gonna talk about this forever and it's kinda pointless, worms is as it is and it's fine, Komo you got my point :P

Offline HHC

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 08:19 PM »
I'm in doubt myself. I think skill-wise WA reached its peak at the times of Nakra and ESL. I also think the RR-scene has had better days (during RRkit for example). This was roughly the time when I left worms. When I came back about a year ago (?) I felt it to be easier to compete at the top level again. This was when the cups here at TUS first started. Since then I think the level is on the increase again, but still hasn't quite reached the point of my departure.

Anyway, with regards to the oooollldddd times. I went 50-0 with SUSUII once without any real difficulties. We were good at that time, but I think when you ask each of us individually, we will all confirm that we are better now than we were back then. We made plenty of errors and had way less sophisticated tactics, but we got away with it cause our opponents were much weaker than they are today. Going 50-0 is a real performance right now, partly because there's no Double-or-nottin  anymore and partly because the number of easy opponents has declined drastically.
If CF were to play 5 years ago they would completely butcher the competition. They do it now as well, but I dare say they would make a total carnage of the clan league as it was back in 2003 or so.

Currently, when you go on wormnet and join a random game of Shopper you will find that all people there, despite being known as 'noobs' know how to rope fairly decently, how to attack, and what rules there are. In the leagues it's even worse, the clan league is full of awesome clans. It's really hard to still find a clan that you can easily own.

Imo the biggest challenge right now is to attract new people to TUS. There's a core of elite players that roam this place, but the vast majority of players are clanless and leagueless.. There is still an enormous potential for TUS to grow. I remember that at the time of WL wormnet pretty much revolved around the league and when it was stopped we lost about half of the top players on WN. FB and CL2k got a lot of them back, but I've never seen a league with such a broad scope. I hope that TUS can replicate this one day and bring all those hundreds of nameless noobs that dwell in AG today under its wing.
There were times that 90% of wormnet was in the major league and knew each other. Today that's just 10%, there's a lot of potential there  ???

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Pretty hard to argue when the skill was at its highest. Its all about being good at everything now. All I remember is roping back in the day. Now I have to play f@#!ing hysteria, shopper, wxw, bng, elite, t17, rr, and roper. Obviously  I can't be as good at roper when I have to concentrate on all schemes but I would own the me from 8 or 9 years ago. I might lose roper but easily win every other scheme.

In summation: people were more specialized in one scheme before, now much less specialized but good in all schemes

Different era's
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:20 PM by Johnny »
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Devilage

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 10:14 PM »
That's what makes it nicer dub imo, now u gotta be good on all schemes coz theres a lot of all rounders so roper's not the only thing that ull play on league games I agree with all of them that say that worms its on the top season flex is right tho 4 season without playing the po's? that just sucks some thing must be change to fix that i dont have an idea but i bet some1 will, I love this game I enjoy playing and being high on WN spending ur free time thx to all the ppl that have played competitive and fun games with me gg's.

Smoking proud.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 10:58 PM »
You don't have to be good in all schemes, look at me, all I do is BnG, all Mablak does is TEL and NNNL.

flex, about the top players today, I could write a huge list and reasons why they are top players, if you want me to I will, but I won't do it straight off because it would take a while, my post was long enough without adding like 30+ players lol.

I honestly don't think I overrate anyone, I think you underestimate people, honestly I do, like Johnny said, most people remember the old days as being strongly rope orientated, and now it's now, TdC, mm, cFc, ps, CF, six, TaG, dC, 5150 are all very strong clans, that is 9 clans, who are all capable of having very successful seasons, together all of these clans make for great competition and none to be taken lightly, back in the day there were only 2-3 clans at a time who were considered as good as how we consider these clans now, that's impressive.

In terms of skill, how can we not be better? My guess is you only get better the longer you play, I sure have, Random definately did, same with players who are in the top 20 classic standings atm.

We do need to make a better effort with the PO, flex is 100% right when this was something everyone valued, now people are kinda lazy, they must think reaching PO is good enough they don't need to play them lol, either that or singles are scared to play Random00 and clanners scared to play CF lol, jus kidding, but it would be great to have that old PO feeling again where it was the most talked about thing in a League...

Offline Devilage

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 12:51 AM »
You don't have to be good in all schemes, look at me, all I do is BnG, all Mablak does is TEL and NNNL.

No? what about tus singles mate u cant pick bng all the time, well ull win but u wont go any further on the overall, so that's what i meant not clanners where u got partners to play the schemes that u can't.

Smoking proud.