May 18, 2024, 12:48 AM

Poll

are you telling me W:A isn't dead !?!?

yes
33 (91.7%)
no
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Worms Reloaded--Does W:A still have server?  (Read 5592 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Worms Reloaded--Does W:A still have server?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 01:32 AM »
I meant you don't have to be good in all schemes to enjoy WA as a whole dev, glad we cleared that up :)

Offline Husk

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 02:02 AM »
id rly like to see CKC kick off, Albino seems to be the most active from CKC atm, 2nd comes Almog and 3rd Chick is popping up in tus forums now and then, theres strong clanning. Any news on Wooka, Eminef or Dilbert?

Offline Crazy

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 02:07 AM »
I'm in doubt myself. I think skill-wise WA reached its peak at the times of Nakra and ESL. I also think the RR-scene has had better days (during RRkit for example). This was roughly the time when I left worms. When I came back about a year ago (?) I felt it to be easier to compete at the top level again. This was when the cups here at TUS first started. Since then I think the level is on the increase again, but still hasn't quite reached the point of my departure.

Anyway, with regards to the oooollldddd times. I went 50-0 with SUSUII once without any real difficulties. We were good at that time, but I think when you ask each of us individually, we will all confirm that we are better now than we were back then. We made plenty of errors and had way less sophisticated tactics, but we got away with it cause our opponents were much weaker than they are today. Going 50-0 is a real performance right now, partly because there's no Double-or-nottin  anymore and partly because the number of easy opponents has declined drastically.
If CF were to play 5 years ago they would completely butcher the competition. They do it now as well, but I dare say they would make a total carnage of the clan league as it was back in 2003 or so.

Currently, when you go on wormnet and join a random game of Shopper you will find that all people there, despite being known as 'noobs' know how to rope fairly decently, how to attack, and what rules there are. In the leagues it's even worse, the clan league is full of awesome clans. It's really hard to still find a clan that you can easily own.

Imo the biggest challenge right now is to attract new people to TUS. There's a core of elite players that roam this place, but the vast majority of players are clanless and leagueless.. There is still an enormous potential for TUS to grow. I remember that at the time of WL wormnet pretty much revolved around the league and when it was stopped we lost about half of the top players on WN. FB and CL2k got a lot of them back, but I've never seen a league with such a broad scope. I hope that TUS can replicate this one day and bring all those hundreds of nameless noobs that dwell in AG today under its wing.
There were times that 90% of wormnet was in the major league and knew each other. Today that's just 10%, there's a lot of potential there  ???

+111111

It IS hard to compare different periods on worms, but that`s a good thing I guess? If it weren`t, it would be quite obvious that worms used to be better earlier! Great post HHC :) There is just one small thing I disagree with, and that is the RR-scene. RR used to more popular before, that`s for sure, with all the tournaments hosted and all the participants. Yet, I believe the level is higher now. There are soooo many damn good roperacers, it annoys me ;p So many people from Chile rope damn well, really the entire Tag and CFC clan holds a very high level in this scheme. I can`t mention names as I would forget way too many people. But looking at it from a different point of view I agree, RR used be much more fun about 5 years ago. The scheme is far from as popular as it used ot be. As Dub sums it up, roping used to be way more popular with people being specialized on different schemes. I think Elite is the new rope-movement ;D

Offline franz

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42 AM »
+111111

It IS hard to compare different periods on worms, but that`s a good thing I guess? If it weren`t, it would be quite obvious that worms used to be better earlier! Great post HHC :) There is just one small thing I disagree with, and that is the RR-scene. RR used to more popular before, that`s for sure, with all the tournaments hosted and all the participants. Yet, I believe the level is higher now. There are soooo many damn good roperacers, it annoys me ;p So many people from Chile rope damn well, really the entire Tag and CFC clan holds a very high level in this scheme. I can`t mention names as I would forget way too many people. But looking at it from a different point of view I agree, RR used be much more fun about 5 years ago. The scheme is far from as popular as it used ot be. As Dub sums it up, roping used to be way more popular with people being specialized on different schemes. I think Elite is the new rope-movement ;D

gogo TRRL

rr is my fav after elite <3

Offline darKz

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 11:15 AM »
If CF were to play 5 years ago they would completely butcher the competition. They do it now as well, but I dare say they would make a total carnage of the clan league as it was back in 2003 or so.
:-*

But to be fair, I think it would be the same for cFc and doH.. The overall skill level was just not as high back then - and in WL / CL2K people (including clans) even played DoN, which led to false stats.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline flex

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 04:18 PM »
So... Last time I posted in this topic I gave you all the benefit of the doubt, as I had been back since one month or so. Since then I've played like once a day, so I have a more concrete idea of what w:a/TUS is right now. And while searching for a clanner forever everytime, I couldn't help but thinking about this topic with a smile on my face. Also some people messaged me in ag to say they agree with me, that was enough to not resist to post again.

Maybe there are dozens of good players out there (Hi Komo). But the thing is, it's not the problem. The problem is their activity.  The competitive players are only active in TEL. "Problem" isn't really the right word, because as I said, worms is as it is, why bother? Don't worry I will sleep well tonight. But I'm answering to the bandwagon who said "worms is in its prime", which is a nice running gag, it makes me laugh every time I go in #ag. :D

Let's take a look at clanners https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/classic-stats/

There are basically dC cfc and others. And bp starting strong. 2 good (basing on their stats) and active clans in the top, some other clans with mediocre stats (and still in the top), and in the end some active noob clans (no offense, everyone has to start blabla) mm which isn't good now for many reasons.

Lets take a look at singles https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/classic-stats/

This a fact, competitive players don't play this anymore. I recognize 2 names of a good clan here : Lalo and daina, and look at their stats, better than a long story. There is Almog, I don't know him but he's always been on top of leagues but his stats aren't that good, it would be interesting to read is point of view.

Only a one-scheme league which is competitive and TUS classic deserted by good players, this is a bit "light" to say that worms is in its best time. But I guess some people here are overrating the present to pretend they've been fighting hard to succeed ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:29 PM by flex »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 07:47 AM »
I'm about to change my opinion, because I had a while to think about it, and after a VERY long chat with KRD, it was that long I started out completely sober, and ended up drunk lol.

But anyway, I still think WA is in it's prime, but to me, WA has always been in it's prime, it's never ever once got worse for me, i've always found it the most exciting and fresh game i've ever played, and the biggest part of that is with the people I play with, alot of good friends and players have left, and alot of good friends and players have been made more recently.

I think one of the reasons WA has always stayed fresh for me is because I switched a dramatic switch from playing only Warmers/Ropers to playing only BnGs about 6 years ago, then about 2-3 years ago we started b2b, then just over a year ago we started a2b, and then I joined TuS.

I like to think I have always went with the flow, I always usually complain and/or panic when something big changes in the community, but I always end up either respecting it, or absolutely loving the change.

About all the good players that left, most of which were "Ropers" when you think about it, some people say they left because the way the game was turning out, but I think some of it was a chain reaction, once some of them left, their friends got bored having no one to play with anymore and didn't wanna do anything else with the game.

For me, the game didn't kill Ropers, Ropers leaving killed Ropers.

As for your statement about clanners flex, I don't judge my opinion on statistics, there are around 10-15 clans with extremely good players that could easily reach the top 3 spots if they "wanted" to, but most clans play for fun, and sometimes screw around in-game and play drunk n stuff like that, which is cool I guess.

TdC for example, look at their members, they have talented players that can cover every single scheme and I think if they wanted to they could reach the top 3, but they don't care about points n standings etc, they just play for fun (obviously they try to win but fun comes 1st imo for them), but they are still a great challenge and very relaxing/fun to play, you always get a good conversation/laugh with TdC.

Other clans, I respect because of how laid back they are and how fun to play with.

But that's just me, i'll always love this game, and although I really miss alot of players we've lost, and things are not the same, I will always look at it with as much of a positive view as possible, that's why I think WA is in it's prime for me.

Offline ZiPpO

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 10:57 AM »
well...i agree with komo..
XD

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 11:27 AM »
well...i agree with komo..
XD

Wow... (*trying not to cry*) That's the sweetest thing you've (*fighting back tears*) ever said to anyone...

[cry]
I KNEW THERE WAS GOOD IN YOU, I KNEW IT !!!!
[/cry]

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 11:44 AM »
lool zippo is a sweatheart deep down. He just tries to be c@#! so noone finds out
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Free

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Skill level is higher, its just natural = the more you play, the better you get.

Activity is the problem. What can we do to fix it?

I'm pissed no1 mentioned me as high class eliter. I'm just about to go shoot myself :/ Jk. :D

Cool thread, nostalgy :)

Offline ZiPpO

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 12:43 PM »
lol

drama queen :P

i'm a nice guy :D

I'm pissed no1 mentioned me as high class eliter. I'm just about to go shoot myself :/ Jk. :D

you are. dont need be mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:46 PM by ZiPpO »

Offline flex

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 01:13 PM »
"As for your statement about clanners flex, I don't judge my opinion on statistics, there are around 10-15 clans with extremely good players that could easily reach the top 3 spots if they "wanted" to"

That's why I talk about activity... There used to be all the good clans every night clanning, now they don't play. It's not even arguments, it's facts. And about only ropers before this is a very bold statement, in fb you had to be a good allrounder too... TUS is better than fb, but there way more activity of good clans and players. I'm not trying to defend past times for the sake of it, or to look cool. I'm just saying facts. But it seems you have different criterias than me and I'm not KRD, so I guess we'll never agree.

Free as I said it's not really a "problem", I'm not complaining as we can't change it, I just state the obvious to prove there have been better times (which was the subject of the discussion)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Actually, KRD is on your side of the arguement, he just got me thinking about some things.

There are lots of clans clanning now, but the majority of them play for fun, cuz well, it's more fun most of the time lol.

I've never seen a drop in activity, there is more activity now, just not at the same things, activity is split across different leagues, the average "competitive player" participates in 2-4 different leagues nowadays, with TuS Classic/Free league/TEL/NNNL/LW/a2b/Kaos and more, if you join a few of these, trust me, you will notice more activity than you realised, just gotta pick the right leagues at the right time, to me, this choice is better than in the old days where you only had like 1 main league to play, you have a very good variety of competitive leagues to suit everyones needs.

And I am talking about way way way before FB, like 2000-2004 when Ropers were considered the rulers of WA lol, and without a doubt, they were.

But see, when you say "prove there have been better times" that can't be right, seeing as this debate is opinions and only opinions, there ARE facts for peoples opinions, but the facts don't make ones opinion right or wrong, because it all depends on who sees them in what way.

If I had to choose between today, or "back in the day", i'd stick with today, I have more fun now than I ever did, more variety, more competition (for me) and just more fun.

Free if I had to list all the good players, i'd be here forever lol, but yeah, you are one of the classics :)

Offline ZiPpO

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 01:42 PM »
I for one just do not play much classical league because of the rating system tus.

If the system moves maybe the top 20 ppl played more than they play today.