Forums
May 08, 2024, 01:56 AM

Author Topic: New plan for leagues started  (Read 8826 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

New plan for leagues started
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:16 AM »
Along with classic league season #19, TEL #3, the new league plan suggested by HHC started. This new league plan affects TRL and free league as well. There will be no changes in TRL by this new plan since TRL is in its first season and player's seasonal and overall points are the same.

Please note that now we have 2 kind of points getting calculated: Seasonal and overall. You will see these points in the system like this: (74|45), the first number is the seasonal amount gained and the second is the overall.

Cheers
Please report any bug.

Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline franz

Re: New plan for leagues started
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:32 AM »
nice ;)

Free League looks bugged.. like it's still going.
Season info says -> We are in the 121st day of season #9 but timer reset to another 60day timer.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:41 AM »
You should post a link to an explanation of this new system, even better write it up here and update the rules!

Ive ben checking it out, I dont get it at all!
worm and learn

Offline franz

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:52 AM »
Your season rating vs Opponent overall rating = points YOU win/lose (SEASONAL)
Opponent season rating vs Your overall rating = points OPPONENT wins/loses (SEASONAL)

so your own overall rating has no effect on how many points you can win or lose -> it's only a relationship between your own seasonal vs opponent overall.

the overall rating changes as it did before -> Your overall rating vs Opponent overall rating = points BOTH win/lose (OVERALL)

so overall only acts to help measure every player's skill -> thus fairly distributing points to everyone's seasonal performance.

Offline angus

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 01:50 AM »
This new season should be awesome, with this system!.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 02:44 AM »
Your season rating vs Opponent overall rating = points YOU win/lose (SEASONAL)
Opponent season rating vs Your overall rating = points OPPONENT wins/loses (SEASONAL)

so your own overall rating has no effect on how many points you can win or lose -> it's only a relationship between your own seasonal vs opponent overall.

the overall rating changes as it did before -> Your overall rating vs Opponent overall rating = points BOTH win/lose (OVERALL)

so overall only acts to help measure every player's skill -> thus fairly distributing points to everyone's seasonal performance.

and PO qualifications are still the same as before?
worm and learn

Offline franz

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:54 AM »
no, PO qualifications will be based on seasonal performance, so for singles -> the top 8 who qualify the minimum games will be in.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:20 AM »
Free League looks bugged.. like it's still going.
Season info says -> We are in the 121st day of season #9 but timer reset to another 60day timer.

Each season of free league is 6 months. So it is working as it supposed to be ;)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline darKz

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:19 AM »
More activity gains you more points now right? Been thinking about consequences of this system in the long run..
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline HHC

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 12:14 PM »
@darkz, I don't think it matters much for TEL. The ammount of points people gain diminishes as the season progresses (as their seasonal rating grows). It will stabilize at a certain level. For Classic league I agree though, since there's a LOT of games you need to play before you have like 1300 in each scheme.

What consequences are you thinking about?

Offline franz

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 02:12 PM »
@darkz, more activity gains more points? well.. no, the obvious case, 0win-150loss, but let's assume you mean in comparing two equally good players near the end of the season -> and both their records are 50-30 and 100-60. both have win% of 60%... but you wonder if the 100-60 player gets an advantage just for playing more games?

well, no.. not necessarily. more important, than anything, is the quality of opponents. you can have 50-30 and have a nice score, but what if the other player having 100-60 made those 100 wins vs all bad players? I think more than anything, record doesn't really matter as much as quality of opponents.

so no, I don't think activity automatically = great season score. but we'll see.

Offline chakkman

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Don't know if you already discussed this, but shouldn't the overall rating have been resetted when you implement a new system? Otherwise points will be calculated based on a rating which the old system created. If you take komo for example, winning a bng vs. him would result in some rly massive points gain, not sure what the limit of points to be won is though, also not sure if he could gain such a high rating with the new system as well.

Offline franz

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 06:07 PM »
overall rating still increases/decreases like it did in the old system. so no.. I don't think so.

overall rating determines how strong players are -> so in your komo example, winning a bng vs. him would result in some rly massive points gain because he is crazy strong in that scheme. the point gain is justified as being huge. what this system does for komo is encourage him to play again because now he won't lose massive points as before -> he works hard like everyone else to boost his own low season rating.

overall rating acts behind the scenes that way. it doesn't affect how you gain/lose your own points, only for others.

Offline chakkman

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Ok, thx. Was just wondering if maybe the way the overall rating is calculated differs much from what it used to be, but if it doesn't, no need to do a reset indeed.

Offline Guaton

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 06:46 PM »
it does the new sistem discount/count points from/to each player who player the clanner?

cos it says " each player won/lost X points"

:S