Forums
May 03, 2024, 10:57 AM

Author Topic: TUS Map Database  (Read 7235 times)

Offline Wormwarrior

Re: TUS Map Database
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 05:22 PM »
to ppl don win with a noob cauz he put a map very close ... maybe we have to have specify maps for the league. why i'snt good?

Offline Ray

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 05:36 PM »
We don't want to restrict the maps people can play on... The database is for the sake of downloading maps, not to tell people what to play on...

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 05:43 PM »
@Wormwarrior,
One of the features is 'Map Picker'. It picks maps for players that wanna play league, cups... It is for prevent map bashing which I'm sure makes th eleague more fun when no one of the players know what map the system is gonna choose for them.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 05:44 PM »
@HHC, I've thought about that, the guy would just put a false birthday. But I guess if the guy is gonna change his birth date for adult content, then he would pass other filters too.

Yeah, kids who alter their age just to look at the adult maps most likely have a looong history of pron watching.. The purpose is to keep the content away for kids who aren't ready for the sex-thing yet, if a kid goes looking for the pron, you know he's ready..  ;)

Offline Wormwarrior

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Ramdoom map okay but linear map, we don't play league in artistics maps, wht u think?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Yes. Each maps on TUS will be labeled as 'Serious game standard'. Map picker will pick between standard maps.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 06:51 PM »
here are some ideas:
  • See the number of download
  • Rate it
  • comment it
  • according to the feature where you can see on which map the league game was played on,you could also see the total number of league game played on it
  • Edit it

• generate map (you can add new texture/object  .... from the web)
  • Challange somebody on this map

Also I like the card system :)

Edit: you also could add: see who played on it and how many times in order to avoid MR. PRo :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:15 PM by zippeurfou »

Offline Ray

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 06:55 PM »
@Wormwarrior,
One of the features is 'Map Picker'. It picks maps for players that wanna play league, cups... It is for prevent map bashing which I'm sure makes th eleague more fun when no one of the players know what map the system is gonna choose for them.
This disappoints me a lot... Why should I be forced to play on a map?
Yes. Each maps on TUS will be labeled as 'Serious game standard'. Map picker will pick between standard maps.
Why? Why labeling them like this? Who decides about the labels? Man...

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 07:10 PM »
This disappoints me a lot... Why should I be forced to play on a map?
Why? Why labeling them like this? Who decides about the labels? Man...

I don't see why you have stress about it. You are insisting on simplicity, that's great. But simplicity doesn't mean 'no features'. like BMW makes a car with lotta features, you say, man just give me some pedals and steer wheel! Don't make it complicate!!

First chill!! ^^
Second, there will be mods handling map database. So they will probably label them if they are good to be played in league, cup or not.

@your first statement,
You don't believe how many games are being won because of the host putting 'his maps' and how we could reach a different result seeing none of the participants selects the map. I don't wanna name anyone, but have you ever noticed how many times Mr. ProPlayer has picked same map over and over again?

Offline Ray

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 07:55 PM »
The maps don't matter that much in a game between two equally good players, both can navigate with same efficiency on a WxW or a Roper map for example.

And by the way: I hate new cars, which you cannot repair at home by yourself, those features in a car that control you. I am a fan of the old cars, which have an engine, a steering wheel, a cardan-shaft and nothing else, not needed.

Anyway, I will not play a single match if the site will force me to play on a specific map.

Offline Rok

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Ye, i created in c++ with libpng, but not the rr generator, i'm working on roper generator, but seems very hard, i'm trying with tree fractals and splines, but it's an hard challenge

Have you tried noise functions, like Perlin noise? I think tweaking some noise algorithm can give you some result, it thought about it once when I wondered how w:a map generator works, not that I actually tried anything,though :) I'm interested in what you'll come up with.
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline Alenic

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 01:06 AM »
Nope, i'm trying to generate two neighborly random trees (the base structure) (max 3 levels of a binary tree), and for every edge of a tree i generate, with a random laws, points that give the control polygon of a 2d curve (like bezier curves or nurbs, or hermite polynomials). The main problem is to find a law that generate that points for every edges in a "good" manner. For "good" i mean for example that u are able to hide when u play.

We can use also the noise function, or fractals, what do u want, all ideas are welcome and can be useful for creating rope maps. The judge will be the result of the map ^^. Btw we are off topic, if u want to work on it i wills end u my msn...

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Will the maps from Reported game be added to the DB?

Or maybe you could set a checkbox "Add this map to database".. ? But hmm that would make copies of same maps maybe.. unless there is a way to recognize a map even if it had a different name

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Relax :)

Everything has been taken care of.

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Relax :)

Everything has been taken care of.

MI, you are the man !  :P