Forums
May 03, 2024, 09:59 AM

Author Topic: TUS Map Database  (Read 7232 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

TUS Map Database
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:54 PM »
As for the next part, TUS will release map database.

There are indeed many ideas, and this map database won't be small. A lot of tools will be introduced along with it.
If you have any specific idea about map database that you would like to see, this is the topic to post.

I've started preparing/coding it. Fasten your seat belts :)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Ray

Re: TUS Map Database
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Keep it as simple as possible. We don't need unuseful features making the site even more complicated and complex. Connect it with Schemes part, everyone can upload maps, Race maps should be connected with Challenges part in a way that the overall records are shown in a map's page. As for the downloading, there should be a "Cart" or something, so you can mark several maps and download them in one .rar/.zip, whatever.

I don't think anything else should be included.

Offline beer

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:07 PM »
watch that map data base, i realy like it! http://www.clansfx.co.uk/
kinda like that whould be nice

drama queen iz back

Offline HHC

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Make sure it's compatible with both colour and .bit.. and with various map sizes.

Review-rating would be cool too.

And maybe some way to add various maps to one pack? Would kinda suck to have seperate uploads for HHCRRmap1 all the way up to map100. Would be sweet if you could add new creations to an already existing mappack.. or modify it if it turns out to have bugs in it.

Offline Random00

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 12:43 PM »
Keep it as simple as possible. We don't need unuseful features making the site even more complicated and complex.

Its no bad attribute for a site to be complex, its even better then having no content. The navigation just has to be good.
And Imo the navigation is ok at the moment, cause I can easily find the things I want to find at the moment.
I dunno how much content is going to be added, but if its going to be much sutff, then it might be useful to have user-specific navigation, so everyone can set his own navigation, so you're able to browse quickly through the stuff you want to know. But this depends on the amount of new featuers that are going to added.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Keep it as simple as possible. We don't need unuseful features making the site even more complicated and complex.

TUS being complex was actually a rumor. Mostly because people were looking at it like 'only a league' and they couldn't find 'big fonts' links, shouting 'report', 'standings'...
Current navigation (For most designs) lets you choose ANY feature in TUS with 1 click. You don't need to go to a page to find some more links there.

@Map database,
I'm not gonna code a map database which this community already has, Otherwise I wouldn't code it. The plan is to make new features along with the basic things a map database must have.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Oh btw, what's the scoop on adult maps?  :-[

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 02:46 PM »
That's a good question :)

I don't know exactly for now. Probably yes, but gotta figure a way about organizing them. We have any visitor on TUS. Starting from 10. If you have an idea about handling them, let me know :)

Offline HHC

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 03:30 PM »
perhaps linking the ability to see adult maps to the age in profile?

Offline Alenic

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 03:52 PM »
It's a nice idea the map database section.
Btw why not add a "map generator" together the database...
for example:

I made a program that fill bmp image with Hospital pattern and generate a png, and u can make big map (great than 1960x696) in .bit style (it's easy). This should be nice in the website (upload a bmp and the website give u the png with less than 112 colours)

or a RR generator should be nice !
or an harder challenge is a roper maps generator ! XD
When u need a new map u go to TUS map generator and make it with a click ! Sound nice ;)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 03:55 PM »
@HHC, I've thought about that, the guy would just put a false birthday. But I guess if the guy is gonna change his birth date for adult content, then he would pass other filters too.

@Alenic,
Did you create such program?

Offline Ray

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Monkey, as for HHC's idea, those people who haven't reached 18 don't neceserally need to know that there are some things they cannot take a look at... ;) The filter should just not show adult content for users under 18.

Offline Alenic

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Ye, i created in c++ with libpng, but not the rr generator, i'm working on roper generator, but seems very hard, i'm trying with tree fractals and splines, but it's an hard challenge
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:04 PM by Alenic »

Offline Wormwarrior

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 04:33 PM »
i have ideas, like u have to dl one pack of map per season, and if u league u have to play one of map of this pack, maybe 20 maps per sheme selected, and linear map not to easy not to hard (like az01 map for rr, fab maps for roper) wht u think about his?

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Why would that be good? oO