Forums
May 01, 2024, 08:58 AM

Author Topic: Johnny - Notching explained.  (Read 9633 times)

Offline cOke

Re: Johnny - Notching explained.
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Some good points here but a lot of shit got lost in translation!

Notching in BnG does (and should) imply that if you know how to do it, you can't miss. Period.

Anything else is not notching but is simple guessing by trial & error approach. If you need 2 or 3 turns to get the same shot right only by adjusting aim (no matter how small) then that's not notching. That's just adjusting aim and trying again lol.

If you think about it using your thumb (or cracks, texture, penis, magic marker) kinda falls in this category. You aimed & you missed by a nose hair, you were happy with angle but decided shot needed moar pwoer or 1 px aim adjust. You marked your angle by whatever means and tried again. Personally I don't see anything wrong with that. Remember, you didn't get to this point by notching, but by pwnage! :)

edit: hola LEROY! :D

This makes a lot of sense, can't get much clearer than this.

There is no way the re-aim rule should be scrapped, if you want to aim in the same place again then you can but the rule is there to encourage a bit of variation anyway.
HNN4EVA

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2011, 07:14 PM »
I don't want a huge flamewar. I'm just going to post my opinion and then thats it.

What is notching? A notch is a pixel movement and notching is knowing how many pixel movements = how far the shot will go on the map.

After your initial shot, you place your aimer back where it was for your last shot. Then you adjust/count pixel movements to where you need to aim to hit.

Because of your first shot you now know how many pixel aimer movements it is to where you hit. You just reaim it to there. You also now know 1 pixel will be slightly forward. 2 pixels more etc.

I fail to see the difference between this and notching. In notching someone always notches and with this technique you are only notching after your initial shot.

After your initial shot, you place your aimer back where it was for your last shot. Then you adjust/count pixel movements to where you need to aim to hit.

Johnny
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2011, 07:45 PM »
What is notching? A notch is a pixel movement and notching is knowing how many pixel movements = how far the shot will go on the map.

Wrong, I have already explained what notching is, moving the cursor by one pixel is not notching and is not called a notch, notching is just the name given for counting out your shots by knowing the distances etc and everything else i've explained in this post.

If I was actually notching and for example I needed to move the cursor 9 times, but I only moved it 8 by mistake, I could say "Ah, I needed 1 more notch" because I am "counting" out my pixel movements and because I mis-counted it, but because we are guessing our aim, and need to change our aim by 1 or 2 pixels, does not make it notching, because we are not counting out our shots.

Another way to put it, if someone doesn't know how to notch or even what notching is, how can they be notching? When you get for example 2 blue wind and you move the aim what is the equivilent of 1-2 pixels, that isn't notching, some people just know by instinct this is the change needed to make it hit, it's still a guess.

If you want to call it notching, I don't care lol, you are wrong, but as far as i'm concerned you are just making things up and trying to re-invent something, just like that clan "re-invented" alot of Rope moves that already had names.

I don't count anything, I just guess how much I need to change my aim, again, you are not paying attention.

Offline lacoste

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2011, 07:57 PM »
Wrong, I have already explained what notching is, moving the cursor by one pixel is not notching and is not called a notch, notching is just the name given for counting out your shots by knowing the distances etc and everything else i've explained in this post.

Cmon lol, im 100% sure you mentioned somewhere that single tap is a notch. Thats why i call it notches instead tap's from that day. ;o

Whole drama coz we were talking about another thing?

https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/elite/weapon-skills/msg24512/?topicseen#msg24512

Humm, weird.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:13 PM by lacoste »
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Yeah, when you are counting it.

When you are just guessing and it just happens to be 1 pixel, it's not a notch.

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56 PM »
I think Komo is saying that a 1 pixel tap isn't a notch unless it is counted in sequence from the vertical position as part of the notching system.

So basically....

A single tap / 1 pixel tap can definitely be defined as a notch because of what the word notch actually means.

Performing a 1 pixel tap does not by default mean the person is 'notching' as defined by the worms community as a method for calculating precise shots in BnG.

It's all semantics.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Well I guess I can live with that Cue, nicely put.

But adjusting your aim by a few pixels after missing isn't notching, because I ain't counting it, but I guess you could say I moved it by a "notch" or "a few notches" but unintentionally and not by counting.

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2011, 11:13 PM »
You are in fact counting. Instead of counting from vertical you are counting from your last shot. You know how man pixel movements you were off by and adjust by counting that many pixels from your last shot that you have marked with you thumb.

But you call it what you want.

I will call it notching from your last shot.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Do you know what counting means Johnny?

It means "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc"

Me moving my aim, without thinking, is not counting is it? I am looking at the difference and moves and feel if it's acceptable or not.

You cannot win this arguement lol.

Offline Ramone

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2011, 12:06 AM »
No one can ever judge notching to the fullness.
It's a subjective experience.
Only way to solve it fully is to allow it in the rules by whatever it means to anyone..

Dave, saying that U unintentionally aimed just cannot be man. By semantics. U must have intention to aim right and to hit lol.. ;x

U don't need to do thinking to count 2+2 because U already know that it's 4 without thinking.. That's just your brain working subconsciously cause U've done that count million times already.. It's just brain signal *tap-tap*.. without thinking..

That's why no one can ever judge it..
Do U think things would change in bng if "notching" would be allowed? Maybe U would finally get a rival? ;x

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2011, 12:15 AM »
You can judge notching "to the fullness" if you actually know what is is, how to do it, and I mean how to do it properly, you would see the difference.

I don't need to think because it's obvious to me how I need to adjust the shot, this has nothing to do with "notching" not even in the slightest, it has nothing to do with intentions or unintentional, the simple fact is I am that good at BnG I can re-aim with or without my thumb to the exact same spot or where I want to be just because I know how that angle looks, I use my thumb because it's faster and less hassle.

It shouldn't even matter how I re-aim because I hit so many shots 1st time and I have proven more than enough times in the past how good I can shoot with instinctive aiming.

I stopped notching because it was so easy Ramone, I went from an average player to practically unbeatable in less than a week, how the hell is that fair?

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2011, 12:43 AM »
Komo,

You shoot a 3s nade and miss by one pixel movement. You put your thumb on your aimer, then count that 1 pixel over and then shoot. If you missed by 2 pixels you would do the same but then move your aimer over 2 pixels.

Instead if notching from vertical, you are notching from your last shot. You dont need to measure distance. Your last shot is your measurement by now what you go off of.

You can use what ever terminology you want. If you don't want to use the word notching for it then call it what you will.

Offline Random00

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2011, 12:46 AM »
Read the whole topic.
First of all: There is no way without programs that a shot will hit by 100%. No matter what technique you use for aiming, there's always a chance to miss.

Now, let's use Cue's definition of notching:
"1 pixel tap is a notch if it is counted in sequence from the vertical position as part of the notching system."
Lets call the vertical position "position 0".
Example: You have to get the angle at position 7 to do a perfect hit.
Solution 1, first shot: You just start at position 0 and do 7 taps/notches. VoilĂ , you're at position 7 now. This is what Komo calls notching and lame.
Solution 2, first shot: You try to guess where position 7 is. Depending on your experience you're more or less good with this method.
Solution 3, first shot: You try to guess where position 7 is and you remember your aim at this shot with some method. (texture, thumb, etc.)
Solution 1, second shot: You just start at position 0 again and do 7 taps/notches.
Solution 2, second shot: You try to guess where position 7 is again. If you were far away, your shot will probably be better now. If you were at position 6 or 8 at your previous shot, then your second shot will be as random as your first shot, because you just can't know what adjustment you need to do, because you don't know your angle from your first shot well enough.
Solution 3, second shot: If you were far away with your first shot, then you can just make some rough adjustment, like in Solution 2. But if you were at position 6, you just have to get back at position 6 and move the aim by 1 tap/notch.

At Solution 1 and 2, you will always do the same thing. In Solution 3 you should get better results in every shot if your "aim remembering method" is exact.

It is mathematically easy to proof that the more angle you need, the easier is solution 3 ("thumb-aiming") compared to solution 1 ("notching").
It only depends on the error ratio of your methods to say which method is generally easier.

You are in fact counting. Instead of counting from vertical you are counting from your last shot. You know how man pixel movements you were off by and adjust by counting that many pixels from your last shot that you have marked with you thumb.

But you call it what you want.

I will call it notching from your last shot.

Johnny is absolutely right with that. The difference between notching and the "thumb-method" is simply in how you get the aim that you previously had.

Dunno if my opinion is clear at all, so her it is lol xD
I think any method of aiming is fine as long as its not tool-assisted (and by tool I mean any kind of software-technical help). You just need to try that your shots explode on impact and you should vary your shots.

Addition after reading Komo's last post: If anyone else would learn notching like you in 1 week, we would have 2 unbeatable players, and a match between them is interesting again.
Or you think that you're by far the best in the worl in learning how to notch?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2011, 01:04 AM »
Johnny, this is the last time I will say this, then I will just ignore you.

I AM NOT COUNTING ANYTHING

Random, Johnny is not absolutely right with that, I am not counting anything, I am not measuring anything, I am not even 100% sure my adjustment will work, if I was to re-aim and then adjust by specifically measuring how much I missed by and then notching the equivilent to how I missed, I would be much more accurate, this is not how I re-aim when I use my thumb, using my thumb is just a fast way for me to get back to where I was so I can quickly think what to do again, if I even want to do something similar again.

Solution 2, second shot, is wrong, at least for me, I play on a 42"HDTV on 1152*864, I can clearly see where my angle was because when I move it, the only way I can explain it is looks like it just sort of "clicks" into place, I don't even need to use my thumb, I just do that to save time if I am in a rush.

Taking into consideration the opponent doesn't have land above them, I can hit 100% with notching, Just keep doing 4s full power grenades, You can also do this with a few other shots at full power, so it's impossible to miss because you just hold space until the pwoer bar reaches full and automatically releases, and tele to where the angle changes when the worms move slightly, this is how I used to play, and it's just stupid let alone lame.

My final thought:

I eventually got as good as I am at BnG by instinct, by just practising and experimenting over and over again offline alot as well as online, I played countless BnG's with Bamf, Bud, dw33b and others, I used to play literally over 200 BnG's a week at least, I can do all basic shots 1st time with a very high success rate, Random, just remember our TuS BnG recently, I didn't use my thumb to re-aim that entire game, I didn't even get a chance to lol, I pull off trick shots and very hard shots 1st time alot also, and even after all this, most of the time when I do miss, I don't even use my thumb as much as you may think, I actually rarely do it because I am so accurate and consistent with 1st hits and also just because my ridiculously huge HDTV is so crystal clear, I can tell I had the same aim without doing it anyway.

This thread is now being locked.