Forums
May 21, 2024, 09:49 AM

Author Topic: Johnny - Notching explained.  (Read 9669 times)

Offline lacoste

Re: Johnny - Notching explained.
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 03:26 PM »
I can give you an example:

Once you accused Johnny or Nate that they did a notcher. It wasnt even looking like they did a notch for me for the first time. You were ok with it ingame. Then again his turn came, again he did the notching thing which didnt look like notching anyway, he didnt miss again, and you started to blame him. How about he pointed out second shot with a finger and he didnt miss? You wouldnt call him notcher then?

And thing is, learning 3 kind of nades to notch (dunno, marking it even on your screen or whatever) and playing like that is indeed lame and mechanical. But for example counting notches after your first shot was done right, lets say 6 notches, and then repeating it over and over is the same thing as pointing out with finger, with that difference finger is the faster.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:39 PM by lacoste »
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline cOke

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 05:29 PM »
I can't even move my aim by one pixel on purpose. Only if I got lucky. :D

you can do this with a program to remap keys if you set it up to press space for the minimum amount of time possible

makes minor adjustments so much easier
HNN4EVA

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 08:21 PM »

Once you accused Johnny or Nate that they did a notcher. It wasnt even looking like they did a notch for me for the first time. You were ok with it ingame. Then again his turn came, again he did the notching thing which didnt look like notching anyway, he didnt miss again, and you started to blame him. How about he pointed out second shot with a finger and he didnt miss? You wouldnt call him notcher then?

And thing is, learning 3 kind of nades to notch (dunno, marking it even on your screen or whatever) and playing like that is indeed lame and mechanical. But for example counting notches after your first shot was done right, lets say 6 notches, and then repeating it over and over is the same thing as pointing out with finger, with that difference finger is the faster.
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Prankster

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Ok, I meant it's not 100% skill.

Why not?

I am still "guessing" how much adjustment I need to make, I still have to think what pwoer is needed, I still need to actually get that pwoer right.

With notching the only thing you need to get right is the pwoer, it's straight forward once you learn it, I still have to get my aim right by guessing the 1st time at least.

Alot of notchers, don't even know where to aim, they might know roughly, but they have to count it out to get it right.

Komo, you said you used to notch, so you've learned it. You know how much adjustment you need to make. By the way notching actually needs a lot practising. You say you just check the distance and know how much taps you need. First you have to learn to guess the distance (or use a ruler? :D), and then you have to learn the amount of taps you need.
Sure after you learned it well enough, you probably won't miss a single hit.
But how much you have to learn to use your finger, and make small adjustments? Nothing. Not like I'm trying to say notching is ok for me, but I think it takes much more to learn it than to learn to guess a shot well, and then just make little adjustments.
And remember, I'm not talking about you or your skills, or how You do it, but your method. (except the first and second sentence)

I agree about notching kills the art in BnG. But using your finger to get your last aim again doesn't? Why would I reaim then at all? Just cut 2 more seconds off of turn time.

By the way, lol, I don't even interested in this so much, it's only my fairness... :D I don't really care if someone notch or use a finger, ruler or anything. Just trying to improve for myself. 8)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:40 PM by Prankster »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 07:51 AM »

For the 1st part, how can you tell if he was notching or not, you don't fully understand the concept of it, 2nd if people use their thumb against me, which some actually do, I don't care, because they guessed their 1st shot, and still have to guess where to adjust it too and still hit the pwoer right and that is the most important part which you should understand and accept.

If he notched, it hit, and repeated by using his thumb, the worst thing here is obviously the fact he is repeating shots, which is the big reason I was dissapointed in that game.

For the last time, notching, and using my finger to get back to an aim I already had are NOT THE SAME f@#!ING THING I cannot stress how important the VAST difference is.

I have to guess my aim the 1st shot, for me to even adjust it, is still guessing how much I must adjust it by, I am still guessing which pwoer to use (learned by experience from experimenting and practising) so it is still instinctive the whole time, all I am doing, is getting back to an aim I just had, as fast as possible so I can adjust it, as fast as possible, so I can spend more time, thinking how I should change my shot.

Using my thumb to re-aim is something no one has to learn as it's straight-forward, most people figure it out themselve and it doesn't exactly take practise, therefor no one is at a disadvantage as anyone can do it 1st time straight away no hassle.

Notching, as I have already explained, takes away the fun and pride of guessing where you should be aiming completely, if you actually know what notching is and how to notch shots, and don't just pretend you do, you should know exactly how to use simple calculations to hit anywhere on the map no matter where a worm is with a variety of shots.

Notching is something very few people know exactly how to do it to it's full potential, it's a process that can take a long time to learn depending how good you are with simple calculations and remembering the distance of your worm, taking into consideration the difference in height as well as land that may or may not be in the line of fire.

It still doesn't take as long to get really good and being consistent with notching as it does to get good playing normally using your thumb.

Let's make a quick example:

I started playing BnG, I sucked but I got the hang of 3s grenades, 4s full pwoer and 5s LG shots amongst others after a few months playing about 10 hours a day when I didn't have a job, even now i've basically perfected them instinctivly but I still miss frequently, even if I re-aim using my thumb I still miss them from time to time.

When I started notching I perfected those shots within a week playing for a few hours a day, the day I learned notching I won a 2v2 Tournament with M3ntal, if I wasn't notching, I wouldn't have stood a chance as my consistency before I learned this, was literally with no exageration at least 10x worse.

When I stopped notching, I pretty much sucked again for about a year, but I played more and more and got more and more determined because it was MUCH MORE fun for me.

Seriously, this is so simple why can't you understand it and accept it, notching and using my thumb are 2 completely different things and using my thumb I don't even consider bad, let alone nowhere near as bad as notching.

Also, I have a certain respect for notching, while it is somewhat time-consuming to learn (not hard though), it is a skill in it's own world, I just feel it's completely unfair to everyone else who doesn't know how to do it or can't be assed learning how.

Offline lacoste

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Yes, but look.

Notching as the whole technique to aim is bad coz its mechanical. I would for example set the maximum resolution, learn how many taps i need to set the distance for few kind of shots. Thats bad coz it destroys concept of bng.

Finger adjustment destroys the part for re-aiming. You dont need this rule anymore, coz even if you re-aim, you set exact same aim you had with your finger (which would be problematic at first for some people before they master this technique). I use it, coz everyone can use it and you wont fix it by setting a rule for this like "You are not allowed to adjust previous aim with your finger or texture" lol.

About counting notches to set your previous aim and fix shot/repeat - i give up on this one, seems like you dont take it into consideration.

So i ask again, Komo, what for we have re-aiming rule? Lets better get rid of this coz i dont want finger stains on my screen :D

<Johnny`> !fart
<Johnny`> Sonova

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19 AM »
I think the re-aiming rule is mainly to stop people doing lame shots and repeating them without re-aiming, it just looks horrible, like someone throws 4s at you, then just keeps doing that without re-aiming.

For some reason it just looks good to re-aim, although re-aiming is pretty pointless lol.

What are you saying I don't take into consideration, I have taken everything into consideration, I just don't share the same view the way you see things.

There is nothing more I can say about this anyway, I explained how I feel perfectly in my previous post.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Here is another example:

https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/game-56240/

Watch from 12:20

I try a double bank, miss, and do the exact same aim next turn, and hit it, I didn't re-aim using my thumb cuz I was too busy talking or something, so I didn't have time to put my thumb up there lol, so I just re-aimed it quickly.

I guess my point this time is, I don't even really need to use my thumb to re-aim, it doesn't actually help me out as much as you think it might, I actually 1st started doing this just to save time re-aiming because I minimise alot and normally come back to my turn with about 7-8 seconds left.

Offline lacoste

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 11:28 AM »
This is actually not an example for what you mean since texture allowed you to not to use finger (i would do the same). I use finger only when theres no way or its too hard to help with textures. I bet you will never be 100% sure its the same aim when you re-aim without help on the black background far from textures, or you must be a robot.

<Johnny`> !fart
<Johnny`> Sonova

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 11:53 AM »
I don't use black background, I use the 2nd one in, I only use black background for Rope schemes.

Anyone who doesn't look at a part of land to see where there aim was, is just slapping themself in the face lol.

Anyway, it is an example that I don't always have to use my thumb to re-aim, regardless of why, do you have some problem with me, no matter how detailed my explanations are, and how honest, for any matter or subject, you seem to try desperately any excuse to make anything I do seem wrong lol, you done the same thing with implementing SG into a2b, even though myself wormf00d and OoO explained what is so good about using it, and everything you said why you don't like it, I explained why that was wrong too lol.

My previous post, as I already said, explains why there is really nothing bad about using your thumb or any other finger to re-aim your shot, like I said if you can't understand it, I am not really bothered anyway, the point of this thread was just to explain to Johnny that re-aiming and adjusting is NOT notching, and I have achieved that so i'm cool lol.

I'll let you reply, then i'll lock this thread.

Offline lacoste

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 12:13 PM »
Now you should slap yourself. Every my post in this topic contains line that finger/texture adjustment is the same f@#!en thing.
And no offence but, its not that everyone has to agree with you. Even if i agree on something with you, you will turn it into another war.

<Johnny`> !fart
<Johnny`> Sonova

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 12:30 PM »
Most of your posts have been saying notching and using finger to re-aim is the same thing, they are as bad as each other, and I have gave more than enough evidence, facts and examples to prove you wrong that they are completely different in so many ways.

I am using my thumb lol, MY THUMB !!! I find it amusing you are saying that's bad that I am using part of my body for better consistency, while we are at it, why don't we tell Snipers fighting in wars to shoot without their spotter, or even better, without a scope !

Fukkit, from now on i'll just play with my eyes shut !

If you want to aim without looking, or paying attention, or helping yourself to adjust your shots to try and win BnGs, that's your decision, a fair number of players play like this and in my opinion it's the right thing to do if you are trying to correct a bad aim to try and win a league match.

Offline cOke

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34 PM »
You can't ban or disallow the thumb/sticker/bluetack technique of marking previous shots because its completely undetectable, whereas something like notching is. It is the same for using a part of the map in banks or floorbanks for reference, its just part of the game so anyone who disagrees with it are just going to have to live with it.

I dont think this should invalidate the re-aim rule as it takes some time out of your turn, as long as you're not throwing 4s every turn with slight adjustments its all fine if you ask me. If you can't live with players that play like that then dont play them.
HNN4EVA

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 12:38 PM »
That's all true what you say coke, I know it seems pointless for me to even re-aim, but bear in mind, so many of my shots hit 1st attempt I don't even use my thumb alot.

Anyway, how do you feel about using fingers to re-aim?

Offline lacoste

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Most of your posts have been saying notching and using finger to re-aim is the same thing, they are as bad as each other, and I have gave more than enough evidence, facts and examples to prove you wrong that they are completely different in so many ways.

I am using my thumb lol, MY THUMB !!! I find it amusing you are saying that's bad that I am using part of my body for better consistency, while we are at it, why don't we tell Snipers fighting in wars to shoot without their spotter, or even better, without a scope !

Fukkit, from now on i'll just play with my eyes shut !

If you want to aim without looking, or paying attention, or helping yourself to adjust your shots to try and win BnGs, that's your decision, a fair number of players play like this and in my opinion it's the right thing to do if you are trying to correct a bad aim to try and win a league match.

See, you bring war again and again.
You just brought again the same war that was discussed and solved (solved for me, at least), look at this quote once again:

Yes, but look.

Notching as the whole technique to aim is bad coz its mechanical. I would for example set the maximum resolution, learn how many taps i need to set the distance for few kind of shots. Thats bad coz it destroys concept of bng.

Finger adjustment destroys the part for re-aiming. You dont need this rule anymore, coz even if you re-aim, you set exact same aim you had with your finger (which would be problematic at first for some people before they master this technique). I use it, coz everyone can use it and you wont fix it by setting a rule for this like "You are not allowed to adjust previous aim with your finger or texture" lol.

About counting notches to set your previous aim and fix shot/repeat - i give up on this one, seems like you dont take it into consideration.

So i ask again, Komo, what for we have re-aiming rule? Lets better get rid of this coz i dont want finger stains on my screen :D

LOOK ! -->

Thats the thing i do say its the same as adjusting with finger/texture!

Dunno, maybe my english is not clear enought, or you dont understand what i write all the time. I give up once again.

PS: Why when im talking about simillar things with KRD for example, we need like 2 minutes to come into agreement and case is closed, but discussing with you take forever.

<Johnny`> !fart
<Johnny`> Sonova