Forums
April 30, 2024, 09:45 PM

Author Topic: Johnny - Notching explained.  (Read 9621 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Johnny - Notching explained.
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:47 AM »
As I have openly admitted and explained and taught others in BnG, I use my thumb to re-aim my shots then slightly adjust if the angle was wrong, or just try to get the pwoer right if I was off a little.

Some players, like myself and Mablak for example, can re-aim floorbanks by looking at the cracks or lines in the texture underneath, but you can't do this in the sky.

Personally I find it genius, and some players have also adapted to this style.

Johnny seems to think this is notching, I laughed my ass off for about half an hour while he tried to tell me moving the cursor by 1 pixel is notching.

I will explain what notching is, but not the specifics because notching like this is heavily frowened upon:

Notching is the name of a method given by counting the angle of your shots in BnG by moving the cursor pixel by pixel, but is NOT the name for moving the angle just 1 pixel, this is done by using certain resolutions and knowing that every pixel you move the angle will go "x" distance.

It varies from resolution to resolution, for example a 4 second grenade with full pwoer, aimed right up it will land on you, moving the aim right or left by 1 pixel will make it go slightly in front the way you are facing, if you move it 2 pixels forward from vertical, it will go double the distance it went with 1 pixel, and so on.

Now, that is obvious what I have said so far, you don't need to know how to notch to know how far the distance 1 pixel of angle extra or 1 pixel of angle less will travel, this is something you learn with experience, and doesn't take long.

It is only considered notching if you slowly count out a distant angle by moving it pixel by pixel or 2-3 pixels at a time to get to for example 10 pixels, and someone does this practically every turn, even if you know the calculations for various shots or not it is still considered notching by aiming distant angles like this.

So in summary, if I throw a 3s grenade, it misses, but I know that by aiming 1 pixel further, with the same pwoer, it will hit, that isn't notching, that's obvious from experience of the game and is something that can't be ignored, so I put my thumb over the cursor, re-aim back to exactly where it was, so I know I just need to adjust from the previous shot.

Sometimes I don't even need to adjust the angle, as the shot missed because I missed the right pwoer needed to make a successful hit, so I just re-aim using my thumb back to where it was, and try again.

True, some people feel that this is an advantage, however I don't feel it's an advantage as I am not using any programs or hacks or even calculations, anyone can do it it's not cheating, why would I want to risk missing even further by just guessing where my aim was, and giving that I never repeat shots against anyone unless they do it 1st and I normally hit 1st attempt usually anyway it doesn't give me a big advantage because most of BnG for me is getting the pwoer right and that's something you just can't cheat with, I hope.

Everyone is entitled to debate on this, however any post that gets angry and starts insulting anyone or goes off-topic will be deleted immediately.

Re: Johnny - Notching explained.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:10 AM »
looking at the cracks in the landscape is not all that ingenious tbh. I did that to finish the stableford golf course challenge perfectly in TCB back when it was still online (only had to use moderate skill for 1 or 2 shots and the rest was just aiming at certain pixels in the ground and then go full power). Personally, I don't want to use this trick in games, though

Perhaps I'm just stupid, but I don't understand why you post this when you don't want people to notch by default.

Offline Husk

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:15 AM »
i go with feeling, maybe thats why i miss so much :D

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Perhaps I'm just stupid, but I don't understand why you post this when you don't want people to notch by default.

Because I told Komo I was going to make a detailed post about how he notches in bng. To be continued . . . . .
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Well, i've only explained a little about notching, enough to understand what it is, without giving away how to notch all the different types of shots on different resolutions, and for someone to try and figure this out on their own takes a very very long time and it's obvious if someone notches like this anyway.

Most people are trustworthy and know notching is lame anyway, and not alot of people like being insulted and being called lame so I don't think this topic will do any harm.

I done this mainly because Johnny was accusing me of notching just because I re-aim with my thumb and adjust the aim slightly, and I didn't mean genius for the floorbank thing, I meant using my thumb lol.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:20 AM »

Because I told Komo I was going to make a detailed post about how he notches in bng. To be continued . . . . .

You actually told me to make a post about it, which I just did, and also, I have posted before that I use my thumb to re-aim:

https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/b2b/bng-advice/

^^ Number 6.

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:22 AM »

You actually told me to make a post about it, which I just did, and also, I have posted before that I use my thumb to re-aim:

https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/b2b/bng-advice/

^^ Number 6.

To be continued . . . . not on b2b forums
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:24 AM »
That's cool, I just won't reply on your forums then.

Offline wormf00d

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 11:38 AM »
I do that too it's helpful when you want to repeat a shot with diff power cause you missed the 1st time. Remembering cracks and texture for floorbanks and for air nades, remember distance between objects and crosshair in your hide. :)

I've no idea who "invented" notching and what was it about originally, but I would guess it was meant for full power 4secs and zero wind zooks. Taking into account your resolution and how many aim notches you had to do from straight up position in order to hit perfectly.

But today why would you avoid a perfect shot if you know exactly where, what and how to hit? This isn't bng from '99, we have a gazillion different styles and shots to try and do now.

Should we just avoid a perfect shot and instead do a lame non-impact bouncey nade with wrong angle and wrong power and hold our breath? :P

Offline lacoste

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 12:22 PM »
Im also using texture/finger adjustment (nothing genius, it came up after few few bng's i played lol), and also dunno what is this all about notching. It works only on fullpower nades and low wind zooks coz i dont think so anyone will master notches for every possible shot (even if so, it requires a lot of experience to taught). Another thing is, you dont have to actually notch to get right angle you want if you master it like Komo said, making for example 3-4 pixels at once. You wont even be able to tell if someone is actually notching.

Everyone has own style of playing bng, and till he plays gently (not repeating, trying impact shots all the time, doesnt sit in darkside hide destroying whole map with a zook) all is ok with me. Thing is, when playing cheaply, finger/texture adjustment is much more powerfull than notching when making repeats coz it takes less time to set the angle and you are sure it is the same as previous.
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline Prankster

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:26 PM »
I can't even move my aim by one pixel on purpose. Only if I got lucky. :D

Offline darKz

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Actually, where's the big difference between re-aiming to the same position by using the thumb and by counting notches? I don't get it. Both seem 100% accurate and lead to the same result.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline lacoste

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Actually, where's the big difference between re-aiming to the same position by using the thumb and by counting notches? I don't get it. Both seem 100% accurate and lead to the same result.

The difference is huge. You can be mistaken by making bigger taps and then it wont be the same angle anymore when notching, and it takes more time to precise aim :d
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Well dark, the obvious answer to that question is you didn't notch to get your aim in the 1st place, using your thumb saves time is all.

When I used to notch I once played a 1v1 Tournament and only missed 3 shots the whole Tournament, but then again my routine consisted of 4s full pwoer, 5s lg, 3s, and repeat.

I wish I never learned how to notch, but then again, great things came from it.

It works only on fullpower nades and low wind zooks coz i dont think so anyone will master notches for every possible shot (even if so, it requires a lot of experience to taught).

You can notch alot more than just 4s nade and no wind zook, but it's seriously so boring and takes away all pride (imo).

Offline darKz

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Let me rephrase into a proper statement then.

I don't think it's any less lame to use my thumb for a proper re-aim. Notching it back to where it was takes a little bit more time, that's about the whole difference to me.

Only talking about the re-aim here. Nothing else.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010