Forums
April 30, 2024, 10:57 PM

Author Topic: Johnny - Notching explained.  (Read 9630 times)

Offline lacoste

Re: Johnny - Notching explained.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 01:24 PM »
And now here comes a solid question:

Why should i re-aim at all? :D
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 01:26 PM »
I'll rephrase it as well then:

Notching all your shots takes away the element of instinctive guessing when trying to hit that 1st attempt, which is where the most fun and pride is when you nail that shot 1st time.

Re-aiming with your thumb, your aim could be correct, you just need to get the pwoer right, or even if it just needs slightly adjusted, when you 1st aimed it, it was all instinct and the look of the angle that made you want to shoot, not by counting out the precise location of the cursor pixel by pixel, you were close, so you would change it anyway thumb or no thumb.

Notching takes away the surprise and anticipation for me, when you notch, you expect it to hit, when you guess, you wait and hope for it to hit, and if it does, you feel good because you guessed it.

Offline darKz

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 01:32 PM »
And now here comes a solid question:

Why should i re-aim at all? :D

That's actually a very good question. From a certain skill level on, re-aiming is redundant as you're accurate enough to get the correct aim anyway..

I'll rephrase it as well then:

Notching all your shots takes away the element of instinctive guessing when trying to hit that 1st attempt, which is where the most fun and pride is when you nail that shot 1st time.

Re-aiming with your thumb, your aim could be correct, you just need to get the pwoer right, or even if it just needs slightly adjusted, when you 1st aimed it, it was all instinct and the look of the angle that made you want to shoot, not by counting out the precise location of the cursor pixel by pixel, you were close, so you would change it anyway thumb or no thumb.

Notching takes away the surprise and anticipation for me, when you notch, you expect it to hit, when you guess, you wait and hope for it to hit, and if it does, you feel good because you guessed it.

I know, I was talking about the re-aim only.. Of course if you were notching you'd know the correct aim for a shot anyway, that's obvious. :P
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Then what's the problem lol?

Sometimes we don't bother re-aiming in funners for the sake of an epic shot.

I can squint my eyes until they almost hurt, so I can re-aim very quickly back to where I was, or I can make it less trouble some for myself, and just use my thumb lol.

Offline darKz

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 01:45 PM »
I never said there was a problem, just that using thumbs and using notching to get back to the previous aim is basically the same. :P
~ Dubc 2010

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 01:55 PM »
It's not the same, if you notch, you know the angle, if you guess, well it's a guess lol, I know you are saying just for re-aiming, but my point is how you got that angle in the 1st place.

Here is an example if you miss the 1st shot and know it will hit next turn:

https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/game-56082/

Watch that game, I went and played a TuS just to make an example lol, you should watch it all, I only missed 1 shot, and done the re-aim with thumb thing, but the point is to easily show I could re-aim there anyway without doing this, it just saves a few seconds.

To me it's the same thing if I missed the pwoer, or the aim is like 1 pixel off, or a pixel is in the way and it blows up but destroys the land that was in the way, your 1st shot was basically dead on, so you deserve to have a quick re-aim/adjustment if needed to finish the shot off.

Offline darKz

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 01:57 PM »
How is putting your thumb on the screen and re-aiming to the previous aim "guessing"?
~ Dubc 2010

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 02:02 PM »
Because the 1st time you tried it, it was a guess, it's just making a correction.

Even better in my game for example, it missed, but the angle and pwoer was perfect, but a pixel was in the way and the pixel was destroyed by the shot, so I done the same shot and it hit, so my guess was right, why change it? And if it's the wrong pwoer, why change the aim? And if it's right pwoer but the aim is off by a pixel, why risk missing a possible crucial shot of a game by not paying attention while re-aiming and missing?

Offline darKz

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 02:04 PM »
I already said that two times, but I'm talking about the process of re-aiming. Not the initial aiming itself.
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Prankster

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I think notching is kinda harder than to guess a shot and then use your finger or landscape or stickers or pins or anything else...
In a2b there are only 12 seconds, plus moving the crosshair pixel by pixel is very hard (feels like random for me, but maybe there is a method, but I don't know about it), and takes a lot of time.

Plus, if you want to notch right, you have to be highly experienced as well.

In conclusion, I don't really think the notching rule is that much necessary, since we have the anti-repeating rule, and less turn time than in TUS BnG.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 02:12 PM »
Another reason why I do it, is because sometimes 1 aim looks the same as 1 pixel less or 1 pixel more, you think you have the same aim, but you don't, I ain't taking that chance lol, why not use the hands I was born with as a little help to keep my aim correct?

When you aim at the ground, you have land to use as example "my thumb" so I don't even need to do that there, but when you aim up, there is nothing to help you.

I use my thumb to re-aim some shots, it's a little trick I discovered myself to help me out, I ain't cheating or anything.

It's along the same lines for me as someone learning FR so they can tap and control their Roping better.

Or like I think it was Nail or Crazy that said they use a pritt stick as a guide to Kamikaze in Elite, it's hard to see with your eyes the exact difference sometimes, using my thumb in BnG cuts out the bullshit.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 02:16 PM »
I think notching is kinda harder than to guess a shot and then use your finger or landscape or stickers or pins or anything else...
In a2b there are only 12 seconds, plus moving the crosshair pixel by pixel is very hard (feels like random for me, but maybe there is a method, but I don't know about it), and takes a lot of time.

Plus, if you want to notch right, you have to be highly experienced as well.

In conclusion, I don't really think the notching rule is that much necessary, since we have the anti-repeating rule, and less turn time than in TUS BnG.

Prankster, once you learn how to notch, it only takes about 5 seconds or something to aim any angle, for some people it's hard cuz there keyboard has different sensitivity than others, for some people struggle to even move the cursor 1 pixel with ease.

But once you learn the concept of notching, and if your arrows make it easy to tap pixel by pixel, you have no idea how easy it is to BnG with, let alone hit practically every shot because you are counting out the exact angles.

The only problem I really have with notching, it's way too easy to hit almost every shot and it takes away the pride of hitting very nice shots 1st time, it's like you aren't even trying, it's so boring and predictive.

Offline darKz

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 02:19 PM »
You know I do think notching takes a shitload of experience and skill - why not use it, just like the thumb you were born with? I don't wanna get into a fight here lol, so I'm out.
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Prankster

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Sure, Komo. And counting the taps is a little trick too. :D

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 02:22 PM »
I really don't know why you think that Rene, just look how much skill you lost when you stopped notching because you didn't know the calculations for angles etc, you were lost for a very long time without notches and practically had to learn how to BnG all over, I was lost at 1st too, but I just didn't give up, I played more and more and practised as much as I could.

And like I already said, I went a whole Tournament and only missed 3 turns, how is that more skillful?

I would go alot of games and not even miss a shot, most games i'd miss one or 2 turns, I just can't have any self-respect being 100% sure a shot is going to hit because I counted it out.