Forums
May 21, 2024, 10:36 PM

Author Topic: Johnny - Notching explained.  (Read 9715 times)

Offline Husk

Re: Johnny - Notching explained.
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 12:42 PM »
my opinion is that its pretty lame, and shows u rly want to win, rather than have fun (=

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Ok, how many times to I have to tell you lol.

It is not the same, and the simple reason is because your 1st shot, was not notched, re-aiming with your thumb doesn't make it the same as re-aiming to this angle again by notching, because you are NOT GUESSING, even while re-aiming with my thumb I still have to guess where to go from where I guessed the 1st time to correct it, so the whole time, I am still guessing.

You just don't get it lol.

Offline rU`

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2011, 12:52 PM »
Hola thread
LaW`T0WER , LoR`T0WER at wwp 2004-2007

TdC`Leroy , cFc`Leroy at w:a 2005-2008

Played leagues: CBC/CBS, FB, XTC, LW, TUS.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2011, 12:54 PM »
my opinion is that its pretty lame, and shows u rly want to win, rather than have fun (=

What is wrong with wanting to win League games? Why even bother playing a League if you don't try to win?

I've already said I don't do this in funners, because i'm normally trying diff shots and trick shots etc, if you want to play "for fun" then play funners.

It's 2 completely different styles to me

Offline cOke

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2011, 12:55 PM »
I think its a good technique to use sometimes, but a lot of the time if its a fun game or not particularly important I wont bother as takes a bit of effort and fun out the game. You have to be fairly close with your first shot to make it worth it anyway, and even then you still have to get power right, have made the correct adjustment etc.

You have to have the re-aim rule else you're going to get a load of lame players that try the same thing over and over with no variation, not everyone figures out you that can mark your screen in someway, as I said as long as its not every shot full power I dont really mind it. As you said you would be an idiot to not take notice where you were aiming.
HNN4EVA

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2011, 12:57 PM »
I think its a good technique to use sometimes, but a lot of the time if its a fun game or not particularly important I wont bother as takes a bit of effort and fun out the game. You have to be fairly close with your first shot to make it worth it anyway, and even then you still have to get power right, have made the correct adjustment etc.

You have to have the re-aim rule else you're going to get a load of lame players that try the same thing over and over with no variation, not everyone figures out you that can mark your screen in someway, as I said as long as its not every shot full power I dont really mind it. As you said you would be an idiot to not take notice where you were aiming.

I am so glad you understand coke :) I just wish they would understand too lol.

Especially you realise it's not really for funners.

Offline lacoste

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2011, 01:03 PM »
Quote from: Komito
Ok, how many times to I have to tell you lol.

It is not the same, and the simple reason is because your 1st shot, was not notched, re-aiming with your thumb doesn't make it the same as re-aiming to this angle again by notching, because you are NOT GUESSING, even while re-aiming with my thumb I still have to guess where to go from where I guessed the 1st time to correct it, so the whole time, I am still guessing.

You just don't get it lol.

It can be done. For example: Someone dont know how many notches were needed to shoot some spot. He does 6 notches at the beggining and shoot 4s full power nade. He hit fairly close to opponent. On his next turn he does 8 notches and hit the opponent. I could imply other examples, but whatever.

Ofcourse, depends also with whom you play with and by what rules.
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2011, 01:07 PM »
coste, did you even read my long previous post? I have a very strong feeling you skipped most of it out of frustration and eagerness to reply and tell me how wrong I am...

It can be done. For example: Someone dont know how many notches were needed to shoot some spot. He does 6 notches at the beggining and shoot 4s full power nade. He hit fairly close to opponent. On his next turn he does 8 notches and hit the opponent. I could imply other examples, but whatever.

This example is just wrong, if someone knows how to notch, and they do it out in the open they would not get it wrong, the whole point of notching is you know exactly how to count out your shots pixel by pixel, you can't go wrong if you know what to do.

Notching, as I have already explained, takes away the fun and pride of guessing where you should be aiming completely, if you actually know what notching is and how to notch shots, and don't just pretend you do, you should know exactly how to use simple calculations to hit anywhere on the map no matter where a worm is with a variety of shots.

Notching is something very few people know exactly how to do it to it's full potential, it's a process that can take a long time to learn depending how good you are with simple calculations and remembering the distance of your worm, taking into consideration the difference in height as well as land that may or may not be in the line of fire.

When you are just aiming by instinct, even re-aiming with my thumb, I still miss alot of shots, just get it already lol.

Offline cOke

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2011, 01:16 PM »
I think the main point for me is that there is no way to stop this so there is no point in complaining about it or saying its cheating, either embrace it or get good enough so that you don't need it (or dont play league games). I think its a perfectly acceptable technique if you've been clever enough to figure it out, people are just going to have to adapt their game around it.

In regards to this whole its the same as notching thing, it really isnt. Its making an adjustment to a shot you already made without the use of counting notches. I still think the notching games might be fun against other notchers if I ever took the time to learn but not in league games.
HNN4EVA

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2011, 01:18 PM »
I would enjoy playing Notching games with darKz for fun, but i'll never ever ever do it in League BnG ever again.

Offline darKz

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2011, 02:12 PM »
I would enjoy playing Notching games with darKz for fun, but i'll never ever ever do it in League BnG ever again.

lol let's do that some time - and combine it with the a2b drinking game!! We're gonna get wasted sooo bad. :D
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline chakkman

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I think TUS needs au option to upload webcam videos along with the w:a replays so it can be proved you're not notching. ;)

Anyway, i was watching the "vintage" replay of a clanner between TdC and another clan, dunno the name, with HHC and FlowingWater playing and i must say i saw some very lame shots there, noone seemed to have even noticed it though, let alone complained about it. I think this whole "you do lame stuff" thing simply has come up with the years, most likely from hardcore ropers who suck @ bng and showed some bad loser spirit. Actually i don't really know what to think of bng, it causes/caused much trouble in league games, from discussions about whether something was a cow or not to complaints and work for league mods... the fact that there is none of that stuff in b2b league simply shows that there are ppl there who love bng and get along well together mostly and have joy playing that league. Can't expect that from an allround league though with more serious competition attitude.

Edit: Sorry if this sounded a bit like i wanted to have a discussion about whether bng is a worthful league scheme or not, this is not the case. It is a worthful league scheme, there is no doubt about that and i had some really nice bng clanners in the past and present.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:22 PM by chakkman »

Offline wormf00d

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Some good points here but a lot of shit got lost in translation!

Notching in BnG does (and should) imply that if you know how to do it, you can't miss. Period.

Anything else is not notching but is simple guessing by trial & error approach. If you need 2 or 3 turns to get the same shot right only by adjusting aim (no matter how small) then that's not notching. That's just adjusting aim and trying again lol.

If you think about it using your thumb (or cracks, texture, penis, magic marker) kinda falls in this category. You aimed & you missed by a nose hair, you were happy with angle but decided shot needed moar pwoer or 1 px aim adjust. You marked your angle by whatever means and tried again. Personally I don't see anything wrong with that. Remember, you didn't get to this point by notching, but by pwnage! :)

edit: hola LEROY! :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:44 PM by wormf00d »

Offline chakkman

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2011, 05:03 PM »
I remember a clan mate on wwp did the same stuff by caving in his laptop's display with his finger nail. Actually i never had this kind of creative lameness. :P Where's the honour in marking your successful shots to be able to repeat them? That's just like using macros in roping and stuff like that. The weird thing is most of the guys who try stuff like that can pwn you hands on even without these tricks.

Offline Rodent

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2011, 05:16 PM »
This is kinda off-topic post but reading first post here I saw something, and I wanna make question about it...

Why would I want to risk missing even further by just guessing where my aim was?

Isn't that the point of re-aiming? I mean, I played BnG 2 or 3 times in my life, so probably I am not right but if you use your thumb to remember where your aim was, re-aiming lose it's point. You just lose few seconds, and your aim is again in same position. I thought that re-aim rule is made just for that reason... to aim not be in same position in next turn...

I know that it is impossible to prevent other players to use that sort of helping themselves when aiming, but why using re-aim rule at all then? Just make turn shorter for amount of time that players usually use to re-aim.