Forums > Gaming Central

Innovation in games

<< < (4/7) > >>

TheWalrus:
gambling is excellent

Kradie:

--- Quote from: HHC on August 01, 2017, 10:32 AM ---I'm not advocating betting, but it does take the game further than merely 'spectating'. AFAIK the site has no intention to work with real money, so I'm cool with that. It's a means of getting involved in a game without actually taking the controls. I can't think of many alternatives to that other than chatting/stats tracking or some kind of god powers.

--- End quote ---

Well, I'm not convinced of your idea. This type of concept isn't exactly revolutionary. People already place wagers in all types of tournaments, private, unofficial  or not. Taking this concept into video game won't stop the need to place wagers, it would only escalate to real money.

You can already see it happening on TuS. Some people may only partake in tournaments and cups if money is involved. Worms Armageddon wasn't about money gamlbing. Obviously it has come to this as people have grown up, and wants a reason to play. There's no shame in that.

HHC:
Let me rephrase.. I don't give a shit about betting.  ???

For me the issue is, is it possible to make a game attractive without a human player?
If you want to go beyond simple spectating you need to introduce other ways in which the person behind the screen can interact with the game.

Betting is a way of doing just that, but in no way the only means-to-an-end.
Please don't turn this thread into a discussion on the merits of gambling  :(

skunk3:
Modern gaming kinda sucks IMO. I can't remember the last time that I found a game that has 'hooked' me.

For me, gaming started to take a turn right around the time the XBox 360 came out... and the problem is online gaming. Sure, there was online stuff on the PS2 and the original XBox, but not much in comparison. The focus then was making excellent games that do not require any online multiplayer features. Once everything became all about the online multiplayer, gaming got kinda boring for me. (Even though I was playing online multiplayer stuff on PC.)

I don't know if it's because I am getting older and more jaded, but I don't get the same satisfaction from gaming as I used to. I miss the days of local multiplayer... sitting around on the couch with some friends and taking turns, or playing stuff split screen. It's so much more fun to hang out in person and game than it is to sit by yourself on a computer or a console and voice chat.

I'm also not a fan of the most popular genres these days... MOBA is boring as f@#! and not even remotely interesting, FPS is only fun when it isn't broken and preferably it's co-op rather than pure pvp. MMOs seem like fun in theory but in reality all it is just endless, boring grinding.

I am looking forward to playing Destiny 2 when it comes out for PC later this month only because of the co-op. The original Destiny was fun for a while but also pretty disappointing in many ways. Hopefully I don't get bamboozled again and actually enjoy the game.

Anubis:
I am hooked on Total War: Warhammer 2 atm. Always loved the Warhammer franchise but didn't have a friend that liked it as well to dive into it. Now I do and it's a blast. Being addicted to it since it released, though if you get it make sure to put it on a SSD because the load times are atrocious on a normal HDD.  :-\

I also have Destiny 2 already pre-ordered (through WoW Gold :D ) but don't plan on playing on release because Warhammer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version