Forums
May 06, 2024, 11:18 PM

Author Topic: 1v1/2v2/3v3?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline TheKomodo

1v1/2v2/3v3?
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:53 AM »
I can't remember if this has been brought up before, my apologies if it has, but, what's the story with 2v2/3v3 affecting 1v1 (Singles) results? Is there a reason for that? It's just, those standings are called "Singles", which, obviously, is a lie lol.

Why doesn't TuS seperate 2v2 and 3v3 points so we can have a seperate "Doubles/Trebles" Standings page??

I mean, I would have thought it makes more sense, and just generally, be better, if the 2v2/3v3 were on a different Standings page? For example, you win a 1v1, blah, whatever, but if you win a 2v2/3v3 each player their score added to the "2v2/3v3" Standings?

Just taking top 4 TuS Classic players for this example, I would imagine it like this:

Random00/ArtiC/ZiPpO/Almog.

(TeamA)Random00 & ArtiC Vs (TeamB)ZiPpO & Almog (Sorry Almog :O) The scheme is TTRR.

Random00 has 1800 for RR, ArtiC has 2200, (averages out around 2000) ZiPpO has 2100, and Almog 1800, (averages out around 1950) so this way TeamA are favourites to win, statistically, they will lose more points, win less points, than their opponents.

Like, anyone can team up with anyone.

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: 1v1/2v2/3v3?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 05:56 AM »
2v2 or 3v3 singles are not that popular to get a separate standings page and the current system works exactly as you described, except that the points TeamA earns would be added to each of its members.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 06:55 AM »
2v2 or 3v3 singles are not that popular to get a separate standings page and the current system works exactly as you described, except that the points TeamA earns would be added to each of its members.

Yea I figured as much, it's just, singles isn't really singles, if you get me? It'd be nice to keep those seperate, even if 2v2/3v3 is only as popular as free league, i'd actually play more 2v2 cuz I wouldn't be afraid of ruining my 1v1 record, which I already have, and now i'll never play 2v2 again unless I am with one of 2 people who I trust not to mess around and lose, and i'd rather have a seperate standings page, jus saying if it was seperate, i'd play more random 2v2/3v3 League games with anyone possible, I think maybe others would too, maybe.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:59 AM »
As much as you think about your singles, you gotta think about your partner in 2v2 or 3v3. Where did you get the idea of 2v2 singles is less important? It is actually a way to have a better standing stats if planned well.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 07:08 AM »
As much as you think about your singles, you gotta think about your partner in 2v2 or 3v3. Where did you get the idea of 2v2 singles is less important? It is actually a way to have a better standing stats if planned well.

MI, I am thinking along the lines of, 2v2, isn't singles, period lol, that's 2v2, singles is 1v1.

Some people look at 1v1 and think, oh, it's all 1v1 ranks, when in fact, alot of games are 2v2/3v3, that you can't even tell without doing alot of research.

Offline barman

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:59 AM »
I credit myself with the original idea of 2v2 singles, my worms league was the first one to have them implemented (TPL, which was working in early 2007).

The general idea is that there are different benefits and downsides for both players.
Let's say that the teammates have ratings of 1700 and 1100 points in a scheme they play for a 2v2. This averages out to 1400.
The higher ranked player will get more points for winning (because from his/her perspective, his/her rating is lowered by a whole 300 points for that game), but the downside is that he/she will have a lower chance of winning (considering that the lower ranked player is supposedly less skilled).
The situation is opposite for the another player. Less points to be won, but higher chance of winning.
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

Offline BoNuS

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:16 AM »
ah komito you really have problems, as you are tired of the games it just does not play! \Rather than looking for problems with boredom!
!!! FULL Pack `TTRR` Maps By BoNuS !!! -- https://www.tus-wa.com/files/download/file-210-1/
!!! All Maps By BoNuS !!! -- https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/members/BoNuS/

Offline Peja

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 02:08 PM »

Yea I figured as much, it's just, singles isn't really singles, if you get me? It'd be nice to keep those seperate, even if 2v2/3v3 is only as popular as free league, i'd actually play more 2v2 cuz I wouldn't be afraid of ruining my 1v1 record, which I already have, and now i'll never play 2v2 again unless I am with one of 2 people who I trust not to mess around and lose, and i'd rather have a seperate standings page, jus saying if it was seperate, i'd play more random 2v2/3v3 League games with anyone possible, I think maybe others would too, maybe.

i totally agree, and popularity hm, tus still offers clanners for tel and trl and tfl, guess seperate standings for 2 vs 2 (3vs 3) wont be less popular then this.
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 04:12 PM »
guess seperate standings for 2 vs 2 (3vs 3) wont be less popular then this.

What's with the back to front English lol? I don't get if you agree with me or not lol

Offline Peja

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 04:18 PM »
oh sorry: imo there should be standings for classic single and classic team games (2vs2, 3vs3)

i just linked to other tus leagues offers which are  defitnitly used less then a possible 2vs2 league.
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 11:24 PM »
Ah yeah, so you feel the same as me.

Offline darKz

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 10:26 AM »
I like it the way it is right now for the following reason.
I played 2vs2 TRL BnG with Random against k1nG and Roperz a few weeks ago. By choosing me as his partner (I hadn't played TRL yet at that time, so my rank was 1000) he had to take the risk of me f@#!ing it up, but in case we would win he'd gain more points than if he had played alone - due to my low rank.

It's a way to improve one's rank by a bit more than just the usual 5-10 points if pulled off successfully. You could've done that with 2vs2 BnG too btw. :)
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:35 AM »
*What darkz said*

Its most unfortunate that komo had to end his streak cause he was unaware of that fact, but that doesnt mean he (for example) cant use this like darkz said, by finding a partner he trusts and gaining scheme points faster.

The biggest problem with seperate 2v2 and 3v3 leagues is that its simply not viable, not even trl seasons themselves dont reach full capacity for PO , I bet not even bng will have 8players with above 50% ratio and >50games, just like wxw :/

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 10:45 AM »
darKz, I know that, but imo that's "cheating the system" in a way, the standings say "single" and they are not "single"...

Besides, I was playing a "singles" league to have a progressing record for "singles" BnG, that's ruined, it will never be true ever again.

For me, 2v2/3v3 is a totally different game of BnG altogether, it shouldn't be in the same standings imo.

Offline franz

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:20 PM »
komo I'm sure you could easily get that game removed, since you didn't seem to even know the implications. monkeyisland, what do you think?