Forums
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

Poll

Do you think Intermediate must be in Classic league?

Yes and games must be played bo3.
16 (22.5%)
Yes, but the scheme gotta be tweaked first.
21 (29.6%)
No. Intermediate doesn't belong there.
34 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Intermediate and Classic league  (Read 10405 times)

Re: Intermediate and Classic league
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Jakka, I said already I would like intermediate to be a part of the classic league, but I just dont see it working thats why I voted no (my opinion, please accept it especially when ive explained).

You dont need to tell me how creative the scheme is... I know... just from a functional point of view a bo3 scheme does not work well in a bo1 multi scheme league and the previous attempt showed this.

Why wont ONL merge? Why you guys still being so stubborn? It would help your cause of getting inter to the classic league if people saw it being played competitively. You know ive been asking you guys to merge... for years, I dont see why you still refuse, I really dont.

Im all for trying inter in the classic, just really cannot see it working but who knows maybe ill be proved wrong.

Anyway ive said everything I can say here, im done.
worm and learn

« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Then you are just as stubborn as onl. Just trying it one more time would harm you the least.

« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Im all for trying inter in the classic, just really cannot see it working but who knows maybe ill be proved wrong.
worm and learn

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Either you added those last few words at the end later or I was too f@#!ing blind to see it.

The chance to see yourself proved wrong decreases when you vote - no.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:15 PM by Jakka »

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2012, 07:00 PM »
worm and learn

Offline Peja

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2012, 08:28 PM »
nail, you really have a talent to bring topics totally offtopic with funny 1 vs 1 battles xD.
anyway its kinda absurd to focus on this poll:  so far 57 people voted, last season we had 224 players.

according to this numbers and the fact the poll is pretty even, your argument fails.

VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline Anubis

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Nail nails it though, a bo1 Multi-scheme league has no place for bo3 schemes. I voted Yes but tweaked (bo1).

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2012, 08:41 PM »
I dont think we went off topic at all, we went IN topic in great detail, it was 1v3 too x)

+ I did mention that peja

I dont assume people who play TUS won't vote, I know they dont because whenever there is a poll the number of votes NEVER adds up to the actual number of people who are playing tus (even in that one season).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:46 PM by NAiL »
worm and learn

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2012, 08:56 PM »
Oh, 1 more thing I see people discussing: first turn factor.
So here the numbers:

Average of 10% more chances of winning a round were you start. Non significative difference between islands and caves (I was surprised about this, was sure the effect would be significatively bigger on islands). 95% confidence intervall: 7%-13%
Sample used: top half ONL overall ranking players, that's 14 players with at least 200 rounds played each-

It's up to you to decide whether that is big or small advantage.

Edit: there was also a positive correlation (r=0,68; p=0,01) between the advantage a player gets from first turn in caves and the advantage the same player gets from first turn in islands; indicating "how much advantage you can get from first turn" as an ability that varies from player to player.

Thanks for taking the time to gather that info Dario. 10% is lower than I thought, and isn't much different from white vs black in chess. I'd like to see how elite compares, I imagine it's pretty similar.

Offline franz

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2012, 09:11 PM »
this is true, if given the option of going first in elite, I will always take it. there's likely a similar advantage there.

just add bo1 intermediate then. people were saying going first meant gg or 'ur f@#!ed', but if it isn't really as huge an issue as claimed by dario and mablak, then bring intermediate back to classic league, this time with bo1.

absolute last resort would be manual placement, but I'm guessing it won't be needed.

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2012, 01:32 AM »
KRD, I clearly stated my reasoning for not wanting inter in the classic league.

Right, but I find your reasoning weak and unconvincing.

Yes, TUS has attempted this before, but that was years ago, before CWT 2010 and 2011 happened, before we saw 2000 Russians watching a live stream of Intermediate being played competitively at the same time and loving it, prompting the creation of things like this. Also, judging by how the number of rounds issue was never really addressed back then and by how little it took to take the scheme out of the classic league again, I daresay TUS (staff and players) wasn't really committed to making it work at that time.

The poll results are such as they are, but just as you might argue that half of the players don't want the scheme in, so you can argue that 50% are leaning toward yes, despite considerable anti-propaganda, despite the inherent fear of change that's always present on WA. Imagine if BnG or Hysteria or Shopper were taken out of the league all those years ago. Would the same sort of poll look as positive for them as it does for Intermediate right now? Hmm. In any case, MI clearly said in the opening post that this poll was not going to be the deciding factor, only one of the things for him to keep in mind when coming to a decision.

What this thread should really be about is the validity of Intermediate as a classic league scheme. In my opinion, it has already been proven by other leagues and competitions that it's plenty valid enough and that it likely fulfills more requirements for a classic league scheme than some of the others in there now. Finding solutions to the problems with it, for example how long playing two rounds would take or how wrong it would feel to lose a round to random placement is also being worked on; the Bo2 idea is on the table and the community at large is as ready for this step as it'll ever be. Sure, plenty of people will let their knee-jerk reactions get the better of them, but they would whatever the proposed change was and you know it. In the end, we're having this discussion to make sure that if TUS decides to go through with this, it does it in the best way possible. And actually, I feel this thread has done a pretty good job of that, in large part thanks to the contributions of people who are in favour of giving Inter another chance.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2012, 08:00 AM »
I want to clear this now,
3 years ago, Intermediate was part of Classic league in first season. It even got played in PO. Intermediate got pretty much popular but mainly because ONL was down at the time. When ONL got back up, NNNs left for their own league and Intermediate activity dropped more than 50%. A poll was done and Intermediate got 50/50.

People who were left playing Intermediate weren't the kind that would mind playing Intermediate in Classic league or Free league. They just wanted to have fun with Intermediate with a flavor of seriousness. The rest of Classic league players didn't like Intermediate, for not wanting to learn a new scheme (mostly) or considering it a very lucky scheme (or both) so I moved Intermediate to Free league for the sake of TUS, struggling to fix its position in the small-looking community.

Back to current discussion,
I really don't get the "BIG FLAW" on bo3 games. I mean it, I really don't get it. (Help me understand this big picture please) I understand about game duration and how it could take more than other games. But I don't get why it is a huge factor. So a scheme takes more time than others. If the time factor is this much important, why not make TTRR bo5 to make it come close to other schemes? It is ridiculously shorter than other schemes. Why not give 8 worms to each team to raise the quality of turns/times? It's true that everyone wants to achieve more points in the shortest time but that's not all there is and shouldn't be the only thing considered in any league. A player must consider his strength in schemes and his chance of winning to achieve the fastest time for points.

The other idea I'd like to be discussed is the option of refusing once. (Only for Intermediate, or for any scheme, and not for PO).
This will partially solve the obsession people are having for the length of games, also it kind of reduces avoiding certain players. Avoiders would think they could refuse the scheme they think they get bashed in and some obvious flaw which I'm missing :)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2012, 09:07 AM »
The other idea I'd like to be discussed is the option of refusing once. (Only for Intermediate, or for any scheme, and not for PO).
This will partially solve the obsession people are having for the length of games, also it kind of reduces avoiding certain players. Avoiders would think they could refuse the scheme they think they get bashed in and some obvious flaw which I'm missing :)

The Classic League is an overall league. When you start getting into refusing a scheme or two schemes or whatever the league becomes something different. I know many people havn't put so of their time and effort into getting good at a scheme just so that someone can legally refuse playing that scheme against them.

Solution to avoidance: https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/tus-discussion/avoiding-rule/
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2012, 11:48 AM »
one sec
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:50 AM by NAiL »
worm and learn

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Right, but I find your reasoning weak and unconvincing.

I really dont see how you can say this KRD.

My argument is based on my past experience and also the current results of the poll. As you said the poll is divided pretty much 50/50, so obviously there is a significant number of people who don't want inter in the classic league, my arguments represent the thoughts of those who have voted no, so they are not weak they are valid. Now you (and others) may not agree that these reasons alone are a good enough reason to dismiss intermediate completely, which is fine, but that does not detract from the validity of my argument. Just as there are reasons to add inter to the classic league there are reasons not to. It seems I am the only one fighting this corner (having to reply to 4 or 5 people saying the same thing), but we can see by the poll that the community is split, my opinions represent those that have voted no (although im the only one voicing them in detail), and they are valid.

3 years ago, Intermediate was part of Classic league in first season. It even got played in PO. Intermediate got pretty much popular but mainly because ONL was down at the time. When ONL got back up, NNNs left for their own league and Intermediate activity dropped more than 50%. A poll was done and Intermediate got 50/50.

...and the poll is 50/50 today, KRD, this is why I have the same views as I did after we tried it the first time round it wasnt successful.

I really don't get the "BIG FLAW" on bo3 games. I mean it, I really don't get it. (Help me understand this big picture please) I understand about game duration and how it could take more than other games. But I don't get why it is a huge factor. So a scheme takes more time than others. If the time factor is this much important, why not make TTRR bo5 to make it come close to other schemes? It is ridiculously shorter than other schemes. Why not give 8 worms to each team to raise the quality of turns/times?

Imagine if BnG or Hysteria or Shopper were taken out of the league all those years ago. Would the same sort of poll look as positive for them as it does for Intermediate right now?

We can't say. The main problem people are have with inter is the rounds situation, its a big thing for many players. Hyst, Shopper and BnG are bo1 schemes, so the "best of" problem is not an issue with these schemes.

To address you MI, the amount of time it takes to complete a bo3 a game is not a problem if you enjoy intermediate and are willing to play a bo3 game. Unfortunately as we learned from past experience and from current feelings, many league players are not willing to spend that amount of time on a scheme they don't like. I wish they were, but they aren't, nothing we can do about it, we must accept this reality and take it into consideration as the league must try to please the majority of its users.

Ill go back to the beginning of TUS, back when you refused to have anything to do with the site (KRD).
I hope you understand I love intermediate and have a great respect for the scheme and its players. It didn't take a live stream for me to appreciate the scheme, I appreciated it way before then. I played ONL for a bit and had a load of fun, when Intermediate was a pick for TUS classic in the start, I was THRILLED.

The thing is I dont just consider my own personal feelings when making a decison, I consider everyone else too. Like I said I was glad when Inter became a TUS classic scheme, but in actual application it caused lots of problems. I would pick Intermediate and people would refuse to play. Then there were those who wanted to play, but only wanted to play bo1 when I wanted to play bo3, then there were times when I'd want a quick game of TUS and my opponent would pick bo3 Intermediate and I would have to refuse because I wasn't in the mood for a long game.

Whether or not you, me, Monkeyisland, Mablak, the "Russians" or whoever else is more than happy to play a long game, we cannot ignore the fact that there are just as many people who do not want to play a long game and they are well within their right not too. In an ideal world we would all play bo3 and have a great time, id be happy to play bo3, you'd be happy to play bo3, but we cannot refute the fact that there are just as many players not willing to play bo3 or even bo2.

What this thread should really be about is the validity of Intermediate as a classic league scheme. In my opinion, it has already been proven by other leagues and competitions that it's plenty valid enough and that it likely fulfills more requirements for a classic league scheme than some of the others in there now.

...and that is what this thread HAS been about. Its what your posts are about, his posts are about, and MY posts are about. As I keep saying, I know how competitive Intermediate is, I know how creative and exciting it is, I know there is NO QUESTION as to it whether or not it is league worthy. The thing is in practise it none of this matters. What matters in practise, is firstly do the majority of players want it, and secondly are they willing to play it in its full and proper form. We are divided, there are those that want it, those that flat out dont want it, those that want it in its full form, those who want it tweaked, and those who would love to see it however cannot see it working due to the fact that we know many players do not want to play it as part of the classic league, I'm in that last category.

Let me clarify before people make me say the same stuff over again:

- I like Intermediate.

- I know its league worthy, my view is not that it isn't worthy of being a classic league scheme, moreover it wont work as a classic league scheme.
  Big difference.

- My only issue is that of the number of rounds, which is everyone who has an issues issue.

- My point is that no matter what I or others feel, there are those who will not want to play, will refuse to play, and this will be annoying for everyone (as it was before).

After reading the thread more, especially looking at Dario's statistics, im beginning to think it may be possible to include Intermediate if we make it always bo1, but there is no option on the poll to vote for this, so ive had to stick with no. Make the poll more detailed and you'd get a better analysis of what people are feeling. Whether or not we make it bo1, tweak it, or whatever else, there are still going to be those who don't want it and we cannot just ignore those people. I take both sides into consideration, hopefully a compromise can be made, and hopefully it will be a sucess, lets see.
worm and learn