Forums
April 28, 2024, 11:03 PM

Author Topic: Last clanner playoff was 4 seasons ago. Time to do something?  (Read 14290 times)

Offline Ray

Re: Last clanner playoff was 4 seasons ago. Time to do something?
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2014, 02:43 PM »
I propose we make a little summary of what's been going on here.

The goal
To bring clanners back to a level of activity that they used to be on.

Problems and reasons that led to this point
  • Too many different things to do, such as Tournaments, Cups, Challenges, five different Leagues
  • Due to the many things to do, somehow over the years the Classic League - which was the most dominant in clanners - lost it's appeal, probably due to the schemes being harder than others to learn and master and other leagues offered easier platforms for competetive gameplay, almost one that removes competition on some level (Free League)
  • The community's size is not big enough to produce enough clans with their current sizes

Over the course of the past 3-4 years, there was a change of generation in Worms players. The new generation was introduced to our community with much different circumstances than what we have been introduced with many years ago. Unfortunately, I think on some level, we didn't do our jobs properly.

By trying to correct our mistakes, we would force the new generation to accept the rules and customs that we enjoy and think of as normal. While that would be certainly good for us, there is a chance they would stop playing, or perhaps create their own little community and league or whatever and the Worms community could break into two, different groups, making it even harder to reach our goals.

I believe the correct way to go would be to try and somehow bring us all together on a basis that we both feel satisfied and eager to play.

I would like to make a public talk on Skype, or TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, whatever the platform, and would like to welcome everyone to join in and discuss this situation and try to come up with a sensible solution, plan of execution for our troubles. I am willing to offer my help on any level I can in the - unfortunately limited - free time that I have.

Offline skOrpuz

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2014, 03:16 PM »
save and reset all the points so fa / remove unnecessary leagues (free league etc...) leaving only classic and tel (tel is nice, even though i dont play much), limits the number of members for clans (we can survive without it) and be happy :D

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2014, 04:01 PM »
probably due to the schemes being harder than others to learn and master

This isn't even true, the truth is people have different opinions, todays schemes aren't easier to "learn" or "master" it's just all the fossils of WA are so used to the old stuff you don't even want to learn the present stuff to the full extent and/or you are so addicted to what you learned when you were young at WA when you grow old you don't give the new fresher material a chance, it's like old people saying young peoples music sucks... It's just ignorant, you don't even give it a chance, you NEVER WILL and you don't even care or will ever admit it.

I've played WA basically from the start, i've played almost every scheme there is and have a solid idea how to play them all, yes there are obviously schemes like comet dodging which has no skill and relies completely on luck, then there is Darts which is pretty straight forward to learn, but takes time to master to be exceptional on all maps constantly, then there is Roper, which for me wasn't any easier or harder to learn what to do, however to master it took time as well... Neither of these schemes are rocket science, although I would say Roping takes a bit more practise to maintain the highest level of skill possible, at least in my experience.

No scheme on WA is hard, they are all completely piss easy to learn, a 6 year old toddler could learn how to play EVERY SINGLE SCHEME, but to master them all, including all League schemes takes time and patience and practise and every single person on TuS can put their silly internet ego aside and stop being fanboys of certain schemes.

TuS isn't WACL, it isn't WL it isn't FB or any other League, this isn't 1999 with only 3 schemes available, TuS is special in it's own way, many many people enjoy TuS for what it is, I don't see it changing because a handful of people miss how things used to be, if you want an elitist league worth competing in, then someone has to go and make an elitist league worth competing in...

Offline ArsGoetia

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Hey Ray, i have a better idea to make u contribute to the lack of clanners... call crash, kaleu, random00, spw AND PLAY CLANNERS!!
[GrW`AnGsT-tgH] hey, have you noticed that Komo always makes the maps a little smaller on one side?
[``GrW-ROp3Rz`] yes, I think that is cross-eyed

Offline Ray

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2014, 06:01 PM »
probably due to the schemes being harder than others to learn and master

This isn't even true, the truth is people have different opinions, todays schemes aren't easier to "learn" or "master" it's just all the fossils of WA are so used to the old stuff you don't even want to learn the present stuff to the full extent and/or you are so addicted to what you learned when you were young at WA when you grow old you don't give the new fresher material a chance, it's like old people saying young peoples music sucks... It's just ignorant, you don't even give it a chance, you NEVER WILL and you don't even care or will ever admit it.

I've played WA basically from the start, i've played almost every scheme there is and have a solid idea how to play them all, yes there are obviously schemes like comet dodging which has no skill and relies completely on luck, then there is Darts which is pretty straight forward to learn, but takes time to master to be exceptional on all maps constantly, then there is Roper, which for me wasn't any easier or harder to learn what to do, however to master it took time as well... Neither of these schemes are rocket science, although I would say Roping takes a bit more practise to maintain the highest level of skill possible, at least in my experience.

No scheme on WA is hard, they are all completely piss easy to learn, a 6 year old toddler could learn how to play EVERY SINGLE SCHEME, but to master them all, including all League schemes takes time and patience and practise and every single person on TuS can put their silly internet ego aside and stop being fanboys of certain schemes.

TuS isn't WACL, it isn't WL it isn't FB or any other League, this isn't 1999 with only 3 schemes available, TuS is special in it's own way, many many people enjoy TuS for what it is, I don't see it changing because a handful of people miss how things used to be, if you want an elitist league worth competing in, then someone has to go and make an elitist league worth competing in...
First of all, what you said is just incorrect. Secondly, I guess you don't want me to go back in this topic and quite every single person stating the opposite of what you said. I hope, because I don't want to do that.

Hey Ray, i have a better idea to make u contribute to the lack of clanners... call crash, kaleu, random00, spw AND PLAY CLANNERS!!
Told you a few times, Crash and Kaleu don't use Ventrilo and I don't want to play with a clanmate in that fashion. Besides I haven't spent enough time with them to feel comfortable playing with them. Random00 is inactive and SPW and me are not a team, he's a defaulter, I'm a roper.

Also, I am trying to contribute here, so if you have something to add, add it, if you don't then plese don't tell me what to do.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2014, 06:35 PM »
You can quote what other people have said in this forum, or anywhere else in life, it doesn't prove that you are or they are correct.

It isn't unknown in life for the majority of voters to be wrong, beware of that please before making such ignorant statements Ray.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2014, 06:43 PM »
You can quote what other people have said in this forum, or anywhere else in life, it doesn't prove that you are or they are correct.

It isn't unknown in life for the majority of voters to be wrong, beware of that please before making such ignorant statements Ray.

that's a shit analogy, sorry.

we're not voting here, we're sharing opinions, people don't do that when they vote, they aren't even required reasons.

what you have here, is a bunch of reasons of why it happened, different interpretations and you in some sort of pseudo carpe diem status telling us there is no truth and everyone is wrong because they're old or something.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2014, 06:46 PM »
One thing I will say Ray - why are you in the same clan as people you don't want to share a communication medium with?

As standard, surely you would agree on how you could communicate.

On topic: MI, set up a poll with options for the future of the league(s) using options we discussed.
At the end of the day, we do not know the future community but a popular option for the current community will help shape a future.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Ryan, I know you mean well, it just won't work.

I miss the "good old days" too, but it's called the past for a reason, we should be thankful we experienced it and move on.

I do agree with Rene that we are missing an overall elitist community, having to earn your respect amongst the top players, that feeling that you worked hard to achieve success, but those times are long gone, at least with the way some of you imagine it should be presently.

I can't be bothered to find the exact statistics on this but I am sure there is under 5% of active TuS players even involved in this conversation, not only that, but it's the same people involved in these mind-numbing threads month in month out for the past 2-3 years, and not once has everyone came to an agreement, let alone managed to get the rest of TuS involved or interested enough.

I keep hearing every bloody month "we must be right because half a dozen to a dozen of us agree with each other", if that is the case, why the hell doesn't the rest of TuS agree with you??? Are you honestly suggesting your opinions and/or intelligence is greater than the other 1000-3000 players registered to this site?! Each and EVERY attempt you make at this ridiculous oldschool stuff gets ignored by a HUUUUUGE majority of TuS, my opinion would be, maybe that's a sign to shut up about it???

Instead of complaining about what we used to have, why don't you brainstorm and try and figure out a way to enjoy the game with what we have now?

Offline Ray

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2014, 07:35 PM »
One thing I will say Ray - why are you in the same clan as people you don't want to share a communication medium with?
I think you misunderstood me Ryan. First of all, I have been in the clan for much longer than both of them. When I was recruited it was an absolute 100% requirement to be using Ventrilo constantly when playing as a team and I quickly understood why - because it's great and a huge advantage over chat. Crash and Kaleu however both joined the clan after we all pretty much got inactive and didn't get to be familiarized with this "rule".

When I want to play as a team, I want my teammates to be up on IC and talk during the games, to understand what I mean by things and to get to know them, but they both refuse to use Ventrilo. So it's not that I refuse to talk to them, neither do I have anything against them, I like both of those guys, don't get me wrong - but until we get familiar as a team with talking live during games, I'm not risking my clan's points to lose to such a small issue, which, as I said before, used to be a requirement in our clan.

[/CFstuff]

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Good point there Ray, one of the best things I experienced while being in cFc was being on ventrilo with daina/lalo/auto and few others, they struggled to understand me at 1st but we got used to each other quite quick.

It doesn't just help you to talk about tactics and win, it's just generally nice to be able to talk live with your team and actually hear each other laugh and joke with each other n stuff, it's a great way to bond and anyone who doesn't use TS or Vent is missing out big time.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2014, 07:58 PM »
OK Ray, I buy into your reasons for using Ventrillo (spelling?), but part of the problem could be with people being too picky.

Not comfortable with playing with certain clanmates? That isn't healthy.
Cherry picking is surely part of inactivity problems.

I am not saying you are the problem, but that mentality hinders you availability and would contribute to inactivity.

Also, having all these options, schemes, cups gives us the opportunity to be picky.

Restrict people, or change mindsets!

Offline Hussar

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2014, 08:21 PM »
What about AutoBot for newbies on AG.

It could send an information about tus, league and some download links to the most important things.
Many ppl never explore more then !HB shopper...

Offline Ray

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2014, 08:24 PM »
It's actually weirdly spelled Ventrilo, with one "l". :)

I'm comfortable playing whatever games. But as you would guess, CF is pretty damn proud of it's scores and I would surely hate to lose some of that due to not knowing my teammate too well, that's what I mean by not feeling comfortable playing with them, that's all.

It could send an information about tus, league and some download links to the most important things.
Yea, that's not that bad an idea!

Offline avirex

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2014, 01:19 AM »
It's actually weirdly spelled Ventrilo, with one "l". :)

I'm comfortable playing whatever games. But as you would guess, CF is pretty damn proud of it's scores and I would surely hate to lose some of that due to not knowing my teammate too well, that's what I mean by not feeling comfortable playing with them, that's all.

Yea, that's not that bad an idea!

im not trying to take anything away from CF, you guys did great.. but its also a bit lame how you do it...

first off, you guys started early, earned many points, and now are inactive, which makes it damn near impossible for others clans to earn those points (another reason why starts should be reset) but also, all of yours games have been played with the best teams...  90% of your games have been with Random, and the other 10% have been with an ideal partner in the given scheme... lol...

its like dt only playing clanners if Mablak and 2 other members are online...   its kind of lame, but putting all that aside, gj on your rank.

i have said this a long time ago to Mablak, and i believe i made a post about it as well... i said that hysteria will be the death of this game... it has no substance, its not a scheme that takes long ( if any time) to learn... its not a scheme that will keep players around for years, its not even a scheme... its just a fun free for all game imo... 

roper is the scheme that has kept players here for 10+ years- fact

elite became popular a bit later in w:a but its got depth, and that too has kept players here for 10+ years...

hysteria will never do that...

komo: i see your threads are still contradicting, thats amusing thanks... and i would have to disagree with you, i dont believe there is a 6 year old on earth that can learn to rope, let alone master the scheme...

anyway, i would have to agree, all these different options on TUS are just ridiculous, we should cut it WAY WAY back.. just Classic Singles, and Classic Clanners... and also a free league for all those wacky schemes that people enjoy, but just dont fit in with classic schemes, like hysteria *cough*

Chicken, i think you said it best "think of TUS as a business" .. i believe thats the current goal.. MI has thought of TUS as a business, and he has tried to please all of his customers.... but its failing...   i think its time we start thinking of TUS as a league, a competitive league.

but, the fact of the matter is... nothing will change... MonkeyIsland has not even posted here, and Dark1 just posted to take a digg at ropa.. somethings may never change

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:22 AM by avirex »