Forums
April 27, 2024, 01:37 PM

Author Topic: New League using TRL as a test drive - Starting 1st March 2024.  (Read 1146 times)

Offline TheKomodo

More explanation at end for those who want more information!

I'm sorry the post is a bit of a mess but hope you find it useful or exciting!

TL;DR 1st

MonkeyIsland has approved a new League idea :-\

£100 prize pool every Season, every Season is exactly 2 months long.

If successful, prize pool will likely grow over time with greater interest, income from Twitch streams and funding from other people who want to support the cause!

3 schemes each Season, based on the 3 different types of gameplay starting with:

Artillery:

Grenade Wars

Physical:

Big RR

Strategic:

Elite

Playoffs:

Playoffs will be 4 players or 8 players, depending how many make the cut. More players = bigger PO.

In Playoff matches ALL 3 schemes will be played, regardless if you are already 2:0 ahead!

Scores will either be 3:0 or 2:1 in Playoffs.

Think of it as good practise and an opportunity to learn against the best there is!

Streaming:

I do apologize if it upsets anyone!

However it is mandatory that the Playoffs are streamed live!

It will mostly be the CWA channel - https://www.twitch.tv/WormsArmageddonCWA

However, there will be other streamers also!

Prizes:

1st - £75
2nd - £25

1st Season will begin on 1st of March 2024 - So start practising the 3 schemes!

Seasonal Scheme Changes:

The schemes will change each Season, and this part is still under development.

It will always be 1 scheme from each category of Artillery/Physical/Strategic.

So we could have Seasons like:

Aerial / Jetpack Race / Kaos

BnG(a2b rules)  / Darts / Intermediate

Boom Race / Super Sheep Race / Abnormal

Also, we don't HAVE to change schemes per season.

Each Season there will be a vote to either keep or change the scheme.

Though, for freshness and the sake of variety, limited to using the schemes more than twice in a row.

For those who want more a bit more information!

I've spoke with MonkeyIsland about an idea I've had for a while and he's decided to give it a test run!

This idea/League is entirely based on the logic that Worms Armageddon has 3 different types of gameplay:

Artillery - Schemes which focus mostly, if not entirely on a players mechanical ability with artillery weapons specifically.

Physical - Schemes which focus mostly, if not entirely on a players mechanical ability with movement utilities such as Ninja Rope / Bungee Rope / Jetpack / etc.

Strategic - Schemes which focus mostly, if not entirely on a players strategic prowess and ability to understand and outwit their opponents.

Using <-- TRL --> as a test run.

For those of you unaware, TRL - TUS Rotated League is a League system which revolves around using a different scheme each season.

It's usually used as a sort of scheme testing playground as well as hosting Seasons for individual schemes.

What some of you may not have known, it also supports multiple schemes per Season.

For a while now, I've thought that Allround is too big to realistically support.

There are probably less than 0.0001% of players, dead or alive, who actually enjoy EVERY competitive scheme.

These days we just don't have the time or the activity to support the 13 schemes that are in allround League.

It's nice to have them there, for those who enjoy! Though I feel like we've been missing balanced competition for over 10 years.

So, thanks to the steadily growing comeback of activity via streaming on Twitch! I feel like we've got enough activity to try and make an official prize league with constant prizes every season.

It is my passion and one of my main goals in life to see Worms Armageddon at a professional level of gaming!

I'm not expecting it to turn into a proper eSport or anything, but at least have enough of a prize pool and activity that people who win even 2-3 times a year have enough to pay off bills, or build their dream PC, or go on a good vacation, or pay towards a business or school or anything they want.

Even if there's only a few hundred of us, it's worth it to me!

Offline MeTonaTOR

Re: New League using TRL as a test drive - Starting 1st March 2024.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 09:17 PM »
And now this is why i miss karma system. That idea is awesome :D
<Asbest> alright im too sleepy, i seen too many idiots today. i hope no one will get what i got. have a good night
* Asbest (~Asbest@5b606b87.bfe48da6.6c2d5d00.IP4) Quit (Quit)
<StepS> party
<OutofOrder> ♫♪♫♪ \o/ _o/ \o\  /o/ ♫♪♪♫
<Bamboy> ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
<StepS> (≧▽≦)
<Bamboy> ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
<WTF-8> ( . )   ( . )

Offline Triad

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 10:11 PM »
Yeah, I really like the idea as well. Fewer schemes than Allround, but also not limited to Allround schemes.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 11:21 PM »
Will this league use TUS schemes or your "K" variants?

BnG(a2b rules)

Btw, before each season, I feel polls should become a thing. Polls where active players decide which scheme to use and in which format. Majority wins. For example, Boom race is one of the schemes that's went far ahead with /ldet and /sdet commands. Much faster, lot more skill needed and more enjoyable games for majority that played it.
Jetpack race, will it be infinite time, will it be 20sec per turn.. Will it be fuel run or seconds.. How many worms per player, if there'll be time trial format.. These things should be discussed on time and I think plenty of players will agree.

Nice idea for the league.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 11:30 PM by Sensei »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 12:02 AM »
@Sensei.

For the first Season we will be using the official TUS Elite & Big RR schemes and my Grenade Wars K variant.

The Grenade Wars K variant is the one which would be used if added to TRL or TFL anyway.

For most future Seasons there will be polls to decide the scheme and the scheme variants as well as if it will be Best of 1, Best of 3 or Best of 5 for each scheme to win.

This means that ANY scheme can be used.

Here's a few more possibilities, remember - Artillery/Physical/Strategic:

Black Hole BnG / Bungee Shopper / Elemental

Paranoia / Surf Shopper / One of Everything

Plop War / Trick Race / Kaos

Hysteria / Darts / Abnormal

Forts / Wascar / Board Game

Literally any scheme as long as it fits the right criteria to match each category of schemes!

However, since this is something that I have planned and funded alone and that MonkeyIsland has approved for me to manage alone, of course, help is appreciated! I plan to make sure that classic variants or my personal favourites are used from time to time. As TRL is just the testing ground, if it's successful the way I hope, it'll develop into it's own thing.

Which means most of the time, I won't really have a say in which scheme is picked unless it's a split vote. Though a few seasons a year will be dealers pick! Which I will genuinely base on what I want to see as well as what people actually want!

So don't worry thinking I'm going to be picking anything that people don't like, you have to keep in mind that the nature of this League is not to be selfish! It's to accept how other people want to play as well while still using and respecting authentic and traditional schemes.

On the Seasons which I pick what schemes are played, if there is actually a big backlash to this, or heavy protesting to do something else, of course I'll take that into consideration!

After all I'm doing this both because I want to see the best of the best compete, but also see it from all corners of the globe with a variety of skillsets.

I'm actually quite hopeful that the majority of players will bring some interesting suggestions, it'll be exciting to see which 3 schemes are used each Season and to see how each players improves at each scheme since you only need to focus on 1 of each type each Season.

Also, regarding a2b rules, if picked, they will probably be altered a little to be less confusing but still the same vibe.

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 02:10 AM »
Will be there any special rule for the picking system?
Can we flood the home page with Elites only if it's our preferred scheme?

Nice idea !
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 02:12 AM by Kaleu »
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 02:49 AM »
Will be there any special rule for the picking system?
Can we flood the home page with Elites only if it's our preferred scheme?

Nice idea !

I was going to go with

Default picking rules apply really, 1 pick each, can agree on 3rd, can do only 1 scheme, or all of those.

But, you must at the very least do 1 pick each by default, unless you agree on anything else you want.

Or you play all 3 schemes any time you play anyone, but I feel like that's too forced, which is why I'd go with the above.

Or, if anyone has a better idea?

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 03:33 AM »
I think default is the best option yes.
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Kradie

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 05:43 AM »
Good Idea.

Could ZaR Roper be Included in the future?
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 06:20 AM »
Could ZaR Roper be Included in the future?

Literally any scheme as long as it fits the right criteria to match each category of schemes!

Also, depends if it's voted or not.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 06:27 AM »
Also, depends if it's voted or not.

Alright. Thanks for the answer.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 08:44 AM »
Oh...

Although I didn't specify yet, this is for Singles obviously, not Clanners!

Online Sbaffo

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 01:04 PM »
Nice idea

Although i can already imagine something like this happening: "hey let's play trl, but i only play super sheep so either we play this or nothing"

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 08:19 PM »
Nice idea

Although i can already imagine something like this happening: "hey let's play trl, but i only play super sheep so either we play this or nothing"

I'll tell you right now, yes, that will probably happen.

It's also fine! There will usually always be other opponents you can play! Also, give this a chance to take off! It already has, surprisingly, support from even all the people who usually say my ideas suck! :D

Surely that's a good sign?

Please though, Sbaffo, when you see people only want to play 1 thing, don't complain at them, don't treat them as less of a person than you, this only makes things worse!

It's like a father trying to control his teenage daughter telling him not to date some guy, it only makes her want to date the guy more! Trust me, I've been that guy sometimes :D

If you have a problem, try and be positive, try and use the more friendly and fun side to convince them that doing the other things is also fun!

NOBODY in the history of ANYONE EVER, decided to take up something because everyone was making fun of them or calling them useless or a coward for not doing it!

Though I see plenty of people who have FOMO who see others have fun, and then they want to be part of it!

So the more you belittle others - The less they want to be part of it.

The more you support and encourage others! The more likely they will want to be part of it!

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2024, 09:04 PM »
Seems a great system. I will say again that I agree with this classification system. I liked that some alternative schemes are being considered too. So, it's not necessarily always the same old schemes that were already being played since always. I like the idea to play each game a different scheme type. This way, there is no complain about rope or ground schemes.
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'