Forums
May 01, 2024, 02:09 AM

Author Topic: Meat & Potatoes Productions just might be getting the band back together.  (Read 2756 times)

Offline HHC

I guess your best bet is to contact DarkOne or MonkeyIsland and ask them to link your account to the maps. Then you can reupload them too I guess  :-[

Offline hundreds

• Meat & Potatoes Productions

• United States United States
  • C'mon dude. You can easily make that jump.
    • View Profile
Yeah I guess I will do that. No problem ab out that map pack. I just want to make sure that the newest versions are available on the site. After I figure out this account linkage thing I will be uploading all of the past MnP levels...

AND...

Derelict.

The map is just about 95% done. All that remains is a single room's contents, play testing, and palette creation. I'm very excited to finally release this map. It's been in work for over 2 years, but laying stagnant for most of that time.
Get all of your favorite MnP custom-designed maps for Worms Armageddon and Worms Reloaded at www.mnpp.net!

Offline avirex

wow, very nice maps dude!!! i really like your style!! :D

do you hand draw them?? or all done on computer?? or...

what is your process in making the maps???

and yes, BTP = Blame the pixel, and if your Private message "MonkeyIsland" and ask him to give you rigth the the MnP maps, im sure he can do that, so you can delete them, or update them ,etc.

nice job on maps, keep it up.

Offline hundreds

• View Profile
Thanks Avirex!

We do hand drawn them - always have. You can see a sort-of tutorial about how we make our maps on our website at:

http://www.mnpp.net/wp/?cat=10

But in other news...

MNP - Derelict has finally been released and is available on our website and of course TUS. Enjoy!

https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/map-15027/

http://www.mnpp.net/?p=349
Get all of your favorite MnP custom-designed maps for Worms Armageddon and Worms Reloaded at www.mnpp.net!

Offline HHC

hundreds, would it be possible to convert W:R maps to WA?

Don't worry if the colours get little messy... I'd just like to be able to have some more big maps to play on.
The ones on your site are resized  :(

Offline hundreds

• View Profile
Hhc,

Which maps are you talking about specifically. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking...  :)

Offline HHC

ahhh nevermind. You have both on your page, great!

I was googling for the maps and I guess I ended up on the W:R section of your site. Didn't know you had same section with links to WA dl/s too  :-[

Offline hundreds

• View Profile
Yeah pretty much every map we have created has been done for both games, except for Pit of Carkoon. That map was designed in such a way that it simply does not fit within the WR level shape/format. It is both tall AND wide. It's a shame because WR does have some pretty nice graphics and it would be nice to see the Pit in full color.

I am guessing that if we haven't gotten the fabled "worms 4.0" by this point that we probably won't be getting it.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of Derelict.

Offline Kangaroo

Ive always been curious on how you guys actually draw your maps, like what platform do you use ?

Do you hand draw and upload to computer and edit ?

and also how do you all keep that same style when there is more then 1 person drawing the map ?

Im a big fan, everytime I play your maps I tend to focus more on the artwork then the game.

jpg images

I can play CUP games  07:00-12:00 GMT weeksdays &  00:00-13:00 GMT on weekends...

Offline hundreds

• View Profile
yo pizza.

Well, this post http://www.mnpp.net/wp/?cat=10 pretty much sorts most of those questions out. But I will just give you the gist.

We use Windows PCs. Jeremy uses Adobe Illustrator and I use Adobe Fireworks. Since I pretty much function as the publisher, the stuff he sends me in Illustrator ends up going into the "master" file in Fireworks. It's relatively easy to convert and touch things up from an Illustrator source.

Everything is hand drawn, but not in the traditional sense of pencil to paper and then scanned in. All of our maps start with a sketch on paper, but that is usually to determine the overall shape of the map. I usually sketch out where certain buildings will be, or objects and I do it with an effort to find a shape that is fun to navigate and play around. Or if I am doing a forts map, I will sketch out both sides in an effort to find a balance while still allowing for a bit of variety so that both sides don't just look like exact mirror copies of one another.

Then we hop on the PC and start working. All artwork (or at least darn close to 99.99% of all artwork) is done in vector. We used to do everything (waaayyyy back in the day) with what is now called Corel Painter. Our levels were basically multiple layers of rastered paint strokes. But when the Worms Armageddon beta patches came out, and we now had the ability to make a map any size we wanted, we realized that our old classic maps, like Titanic and Af1, could be way cooler if they were, well, way bigger. Of course just blowing up a rastered image was not going to cut it. Blurry nastiness. So that was when the ingenious plan was hatched by Jer to just redesign everything from scratch. At the time we had plans to do that with all five of our color maps, but only ended up doing it to 3 of them... And from that point on we got back into making new content, all vectored and fully scalable.

That's when the maps got big, not just in their dimensions, but also their file size. Global Warming's master file still holds the title at being the heaviest hitter weighing in at 11.3 megs, but Derelict has hit a new record of how many polygons used in a map, with well over 10,000.

As far the way the styles mesh it's actually a question that comes up often with Jer and I. He and I actually do have very different styles. To see this obvious difference, compare Scurvy or Tycoon to Air Force 1. He designed Air Force 1 completely on his own and I did those other two on my own. The style differences are obvious.

But when we collaborate on a level, what usually ends up happening is that (mainly due to time constraints on our real life schedules) I will be the one who lays out the whole level, and Jer will end up sending me "stuff" to go in the level (furniture, bits and pieces, like that). When the finished pieces get to me to incorporate into the level, I add my own touches to the objects, integrating them into the current lighting scheme, adjusting colors and lines, until they look basically like one person did the whole thing. On top of that, when we really need to, we can adapt to each others' styles to keep it as uniform as possible.

Sometimes Jer will actually be the map maker, and I will be the one who comes in later to work on the bits and pieces. Squatters is a perfect example of that. That map was his baby from the beginning. The concept, the art, the flow, everything. Then he sent it to me and I went in and tweaked out all the ices textures and stuff to really add to the coldness of the map. We really love the finished product.

Finally, one of our older projects, Global Warming, was especially interesting to work on, because it wasn't just me and Jer, but we also had a third artist, Josh, who was working with us. That map was 3 distinct styles rolled into one. It turned out pretty cool.

Offline StepS

Yeah pretty much every map we have created has been done for both games, except for Pit of Carkoon. That map was designed in such a way that it simply does not fit within the WR level shape/format. It is both tall AND wide. It's a shame because WR does have some pretty nice graphics and it would be nice to see the Pit in full color.

I am guessing that if we haven't gotten the fabled "worms 4.0" by this point that we probably won't be getting it.
Full-colour (RGB) maps are supported with the Project X extension, however Project X is only compatible with wa 3.6.31.0. WMDB has some full-colour Project X maps but some are too big (one map was over 10 MB) because of all the colours. It depends on the size and variety of the map to make PNG compress it efficiently.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline hundreds

• View Profile
Really... I guess I have never really checked out Project X. But I guess if it doesn't work with the latest version of WA, then it might not be worth it for me. I play WA from Steam which is up-to-date...