Forums
May 03, 2024, 03:20 PM

Author Topic: Worms: Clan Wars  (Read 8112 times)

Offline HHC

Worms: Clan Wars
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:33 AM »
First preview is out there..

It's basically an upgrade to Worms: Rev... or, to be more honest.. another new game to serve as a cashcow.

The passages that matter: (full preview here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/21/hands-on-worms-clan-wars/  apart from the text below it's all casual talk)
Clan Wars has been designed specifically for PC and while it’s the multiplayer league system that worms its way into the title, the additions and tweaks to the physics system may be the necessary game changer.

Concrete donkeys, super sheep and holy hand grenades all return, and there are additions, most of which relate to the new qualities present on the randomly generated landscapes. Flying monkeys can pick up physics objects, which are scattered around the maps, dropping them elsewhere. Unlike the terrain itself, these items roll, bounce and tumble, squashing worms as they go, and often containing poison or explosives. Then there are the fluid physics, introduced in Revolution but much improved here.

[..]the aqua jet seems destined to become a favourite. It’s a jetpack that spews gouts of water whenever the boost is activated, drenching and confusing everyone below.

The class system from Revolution returns but, like everything else, it has been tweaked. [..] The basic soldier class can detonate any timed device, including banana bombs and grenades, at will, even if the fuse hasn’t burnt down.

The Clan Wars of Clan Wars are where the game takes itself more seriously, although it’s still as daft as a cat in trousers. The clan system does provide the possibility for dedicated competitive play though, with league play, timed seasons, promotions for teams and individual members, and all sorts of clever matchmaking.
The creator of a clan becomes the leader, creating a logo and name, and choosing whether membership will be open to all, or only to friends or those invited. A level one clan can have up to eight members, although only two can fight together at any one time, while a top level clan can have 120 members. Every time a clan member fights, their result feeds back into the system and at the end of the season, movement between divisions is decided. As well as setting basic rules, clan leaders can bestow officer rank on other members, giving them the same rights, including the ability to send out newsletters and calls to arms.

Clan Wars isn’t doing anything particularly new but it’s doing it all as well as it can be done and, for the first time in ages, with a game designed specifically for PC, including Steam Workshop integration and an interface that actually knows what a mouse and keyboard are.

Despite the fact these previews are meant to be ass-licking commercials for new titles, it's hard not to see past the disappointment of the (p)reviewer. He states he likes WA the best of all the worms titles (duh!) and in that last line it's pretty obvious he's making fun of the shitty menu Worms: Rev had.

Anyway, yeah, don't buy this shit. The multiplayer system sounds nice. But in reality it's probably dumb as a bone. It's better than the stupid +1 for a win, 0 for a loss ladders the previous games had, but I doubt it's gonna be anywhere near TUS, or even basic ELO level.

Other than that, it's just Worms: Rev for twice the price.

So, team17:

Makes a lot more sense now that the T17 forums are taken down  ;D

Offline StepS

Re: Worms: Clan Wars
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:58 AM »
[]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:40 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline HHC

Offline Hussar

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:28 PM »
HHC i see then u are scaning all other games about worms. Maybe is there any new diffrent and nice scheme which is that good then we could copy it. Did u saw something interesting?

Offline HHC

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Nope  :-[

All the basic schemes in these new worms titles are the same as in WA really. Beginner to Pro, then BnG, some kind of shopper and in Reloaded rope race. And that's it.

The only thing WA misses are the automatic timecount in TTRR when you touch the finish point & the forts mode in Reloaded. The last is basically same as WA forts, but with easier forts, that are nicely designed. It's a pretty fun game mode. (edit: I made a WA version of it, here: https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/schemes/fun-forts-wr-style-forts-but-then-for-wa-9233/msg72864/#msg72864 , but yeah, the W:R forts are prettier)

The W:Rel. maps there are worth copying, but unlike in WA/WWP they aren't in an accessible format like png or bmp. Neither is it easy to copy them through screenshots, cause you can't remove the colourful background with insert key or something like that.
User created maps are likewise hidden behind inaccessable formats. And they are in a different size as well (much bigger I think).

It's sad. A lot of these new things would be nice to implement in WA. Like that Clan Wars thing. That would be kinda sweet to have on wormnet... but yeah.. don't think they will ever allow our WA code team to do that.

The only goodies that you can use in WA are the soundbanks from Worms 3D (not sure about Mayhem). With some editing they can be a nice addition to your WA, but yeah, can't share them over the net cause copyrights. Other than that, all these new titles are worthless for us.  :(

edit: regarding schemes: the WA/WWP versions on PS had some different schemes that can be altered to fit into WA. Aerial scheme comes from the PS version too  ;) Totally edited though, but the idea is from there.

You can find them on Jon Skeet's page: http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/psxschemes.cgi But not all options are visible there, so you can't just 'enter' them in Worms. But it can be nice to get an idea?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:49 PM by HHC »

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Finally a new worms title! It's been so long! I can't wait to put my hands on it.

Offline HHC

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Actually, maybe the guys who code the PJX stuff might be able to implement some features. Dunno about complicated stuff like the classes, or something like points/cash for weaps, but maybe the weapons... or even water?

I own most of the worms games. Only Ultimate mayhem not I think, but not sure about that, might have bought it sometime xD
But yeah, if any of those guys are interested in getting info on options/weapons/schemes/features and stuff like that from the 3D titles, Reloaded/Rev/WFUS or even Crazy Golf... feel free to contact me and I'll send you any info you like.

Wouldn't be bad to have a new Jon Skeet page of some sort. Where we store all the info of all the different worms games. But meh, too busy and too lazy for that atm  ;D

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Yeah, no wonder they shut down T17 forums... So no one can complain about this lol...

I'll try it anyway, free, of course :)

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 06:24 PM »
hey hardcore fans, we finally heard you!

hahaha, of course not, just money grabbing again.

ot: m3ntal had a great draft about worms classes implemented in WA, maybe someone has that around.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 06:56 PM »
face it, there is no way team17 will ever release something on w2 engine

Offline StepS

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Actually, maybe the guys who code the PJX stuff might be able to implement some features. Dunno about complicated stuff like the classes, or something like points/cash for weaps, but maybe the weapons... or even water?
new classes, existing classes, weapons and points, yes it's all possible, and in 32-bit.
the most compicated part though would be water. perhaps would need a rewrite of pxparticles library as well as many other things...
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline HHC

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14 PM »
new classes, existing classes, weapons and points, yes it's all possible, and in 32-bit.
the most compicated part though would be water. perhaps would need a rewrite of pxparticles library as well as many other things...

Would be really nice Steps, even without the water :)

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Would be really nice Steps, even without the water :)

what would you like to be exactly implentented?

you know the main problem behind this is that px scripters work on their own enthusiasm, and asking them to implent ideas you want is kinda hopeless, they actually dont spend much time on realizing their own ideas they really like

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 11:08 PM »

I own most of the worms games. Only Ultimate mayhem not I think, but not sure about that, might have bought it sometime xD
But yeah, if any of those guys are interested in getting info on options/weapons/schemes/features and stuff like that from the 3D titles, Reloaded/Rev/WFUS or even Crazy Golf... feel free to contact me and I'll send you any info you like.

Many things already done. points\cash been made long time, but forgotten. WE (px community) already have over hundreds of new weaps. Over dozens of new cool schemes. Cool maps with trycky stuff on it. With background images, animations and other stuff. New way for regular worms animations. Even such things like resizing regular worms and changing colors dynamically - already done.
About crazy golf - we already did amazing px golf, wich is like whole new game. It works like original golf with table points, par holes, all those stuff that has in regular golf - we already have it! To make it like worms Crazy Golf we just need add some other cool stuff that we also have did already - like magnets, forcefields, tunnels, portals, different weap impacts etc etc etc. WE have weather effects. we have sticky snow, smart lightings, slippery ground, swimsuits, helicopters, wings.. utilities like GOD mode (even survive out of Kami and suicide bomber), anti fall damage, lasers and MANY many other extremely cool stuff!
About water like in worms revolution - even that possible!
There is so much new weaps and possibilities out there - so A LOT of new amazing schemes are possible to do!
It all so cool, that worth extra worms installed in separated folder - for 3.6.31 with PX stuff. Everyone should at least try that and amaze himself. If you ay its laggy etc - just play with settings a bit. Ofc you won`t get that smoothness that 3.7 has, but its still worth it.

Ok i`ve said my word. ty :P

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 11:29 PM »

you know the main problem behind this is that px scripters work on their own enthusiasm, and asking them to implent ideas you want is kinda hopeless, they actually dont spend much time on realizing their own ideas they really like

we actually spend a lot of time on implemeting ideas. Own and others.
me, personally, have sucesfully spent huge amount of time partically for portal gun and for px golf. And what im working on now - is PX trick race. it works for smth like 60% now. but im not far from success :) And results from that lib for px trick race could be used in many schemes, i think. To minimize misunderstanding about time, rope catch, succeding\failing tricks etc. System does it automatically, which maximizing fair play. There will be an option even to send worm on start of the trick (each start of the turn) where he was last time. This minimizes time wasting to get the beginning of trick and maximizes attention to tricks itself. And again.. its just an options. means it can be switchable in lobby.
Its just a small example of potential power that PX has.