Forums
April 29, 2024, 12:38 AM

Author Topic: Worms Revolution review  (Read 3688 times)

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
Re: Worms Revolution review
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 01:48 AM »
After playing it for few hours I conclude that's it better than worms reloaded, it's still a shitty game, but it's not THAT bad. I agree with peja.

Water physics are working very well, that's the biggest advantage of this title. I was surprised that it actually backsplashes when shot and how well it reacts with the environment. Big plus.
Personally, I enjoyed the jetpack and could move pretty efficiently with it. Rope is limp as f@#!, but it's still better than in reloaded since it seemed to be more predictable. I could rather easily travel across the map in a shopper with it.
Bng aspect of the game seemed to be a improved, but just by a bit. Grenades still bounce retardedly off, but they actually roll down the hill now...

I had no problems with lags whatsover, it was running smoothly the entire time, with the graphics maxed out on 1920x1080.
Shift for jumping seemed alright.
For me W:Rel was stone age, this is middle ages, with W:A being high-tech supernova star trek 19k. Although I can definitely see some people having fun with it.

3/10

Offline Peja

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 01:56 AM »
omg i love the farm terrain inlcuding fat worms and damm nice theme song.  it really catches the mood of justified.

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 06:30 AM »
Well shit.  I had high hopes for this game.  What a bunch of f@#!ers over there at t17.  They should shit can that company and roll it into another developer thats worth a damn.

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Jesus.  This game is being harshly criticised over in the steam forums ;<

Offline philie

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 10:18 AM »
well, you cant compare to wa (of course). but it's short time fun. and the single player missions are fun (imo).
anyway thanks peja for the (late) birthday present :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50 AM »
I just watched a video. The graphics alone turns me on! Who does Tesm17's designs/artwork? eye candy!. I wonder why Team17 does not invest time on physics or I'm getting old and can't roll with the changes :o

Most people are nagging about the lags though.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 12:31 PM »
2nd in the deathmatch rankings now, but man, every game pisses me off more than I enjoy it. The rope is so utter shit, I can't believe you find it better than the one in Reloaded Van. In Reloaded it was punishing, this one is just awful. You can't get up AT ALL and the rope gets stuck against the land 50% of the time and the only option you have is dropping your worm.

Jetpack is the only means to get around the map and even that jetpack doesn't function properly IMO.

The objects are also a big let down. They don't do damage to the worms at all. So apart from releasing water or flames or blocking shit they are pretty damn  useless. Which is a real shame.

The only fun is the water.

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 01:00 PM »
2nd in the deathmatch rankings now, but man, every game pisses me off more than I enjoy it. The rope is so utter shit, I can't believe you find it better than the one in Reloaded Van. In Reloaded it was punishing, this one is just awful. You can't get up AT ALL and the rope gets stuck against the land 50% of the time and the only option you have is dropping your worm.

Jetpack is the only means to get around the map and even that jetpack doesn't function properly IMO.

The objects are also a big let down. They don't do damage to the worms at all. So apart from releasing water or flames or blocking shit they are pretty damn  useless. Which is a real shame.

The only fun is the water.

Oh dear :<

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42 PM »
You can't get up AT ALL and the rope gets stuck against the land 50% of the time and the only option you have is dropping your worm.

Actually you can get up with the rope very easily. Just attach yourself to a ledge, then swing against the wall so that you have enough momentum, then let go and the worm swings on top of the hill, much like in W:A  8)
The "auto-jump" mechanic of the rope is frustrating at first but it's ok once you get used to it. It allows some little tricks too, like getting the clumsy Heavy on top of a physics object by attaching the rope to the ground next the object and letting the auto-jump fling you on top of it.

I too prefer Rev to Reloaded. That game to me was just an Armageddon clone, but was horribly worse in every f@#!ing way, pretty much unplayable. Revolution is weak yeah, but actually feels different and wormy enough for me to enjoy it and has some nice new features. And the singleplayer Puzzles are totally awesome! Some are quite challenging even, at least if you skip the Matt Berry's advice that he tells you at start of every puzzle.
They could still make it better by:

- allowing 8 worms per team at least in 1v1
- buffing the physics objects, adding interesting ones that slams worms to ground for 1 turn, unable to move etc
- making it harder to get out of dynamic water
- improving the schemes and scheme editor (which is still a joke, for me the worst disappointment, wtf)
- improving the crappy map generator
- adding another type of Bazooka, that is more affected by wind. With this one it's way too easy to make perfect hits, and can't do any crazy shots like in W:A
- completely redoing the menus and ui for PC (when will they learn? wtf)
- fixing the laggyness, delay
- fixing the worm/terrain collision, but that might be impossible when the engine is what it is, I have no clue about stuff like that
- fixing a lot of other smaller stuff

Reloaded 5/10
Revolution 6+/10
I'm being generous, because they are still pretty awesome party games for more casual gaming and for kids. And even if the customization is limited, it still allows to make some pretty good schemes  ;)

By the way, these games might've been cooler if W:A players participated the closed betas. I was in Rev beta and 99% of the active people there were Reloaded and W2:A fans and you know what kind of suggestions and criticisms many of them give  :-X For example there was a suggestion report to make the PC version's weapon panel smaller and to not be in the middle of the screen covering everything else. Some guy used his time to come and write a comment to the report like "I disagree. I don't need to see other stuff when selecting weapons." Even if you don't care, what is the downside of this suggestion? Arghhghh FUUUUCK >:(
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:44 PM by Tomtysti »

Offline HHC

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 01:19 PM »
Actually you can get up with the rope very easily. Just attach yourself to a ledge, then swing against the wall so that you have enough momentum, then let go and the worm swings on top of the hill, much like in W:A  8)
The "auto-jump" mechanic of the rope is frustrating at first but it's ok once you get used to it. It allows some little tricks too, like getting the clumsy Heavy on top of a physics object by attaching the rope to the ground next the object and letting the auto-jump fling you on top of it.

Does this work every time? I heard another guy say it works only half the time, it's much of a gamble really.
It seems a little crazy when you're roping to bump against a ledge so that the rope comes off and then hope you get 'jumped' up and land safely.

Call me a newb, but when I use the rope there's a 75% chance I fail miserably.

I too prefer Rev to Reloaded. That game to me was just an Armageddon clone, but was horribly worse in every f@#!ing way, pretty much unplayable.

Naw, Reloaded was an imperfect clone, but definitely playable. Revolution on the other hand. I mean, the keys take about 2 seconds to react. Want to use a dyna? First you must press 5 other shortkeys to get to it, and since all of these take at least a full second to respond, you better start pressing keys with a full 10 sec to go to still finish selecting the dyna in time...
It works the same on rope. Press space to reattach... wait 2 seconds, ah there's the reattach. 90% of the time I press space again in that time cause I want a rope to come out. Naturally, that makes me reattach and deattach. So I fall again.
And when I drop things from the rope, it's again, 2 seconds waiting time before the weapon is actually released. This means I can only drop when im hanging right above it, or start pressing keys when my worm is still swinging on the rope a mile away.
Same with nades, and zooks. Want to fire a shot? Press space to power up just by gut feel and hope you hit anywhere near. The lagginess makes it impossible to actually view how much power you're on.

And then there's dumb T17 fails, like putting a warning sound on the timer only on hotseat time and not in turn time. You only know there's less than 3 secs left by checking the timer, which is not always possible. Certainly not in the tele-in phase.
Another horrible thing is that when you torch through land the worm doesn't automatically stop once it hits dry air but just goes on. I tried torching through land on the ceiling, but when I managed to torch through the land the worm just fell all the way down into the water.

I can go on and on, but to me, these are all clear signs of an unplayable console-port game. That's why for me, 1/10 is pretty justified.
And Reloaded, in that respect, is 10 times better. At least a 5/10.

- allowing 8 worms per team at least in 1v1
I actually agree with T17 on this one. The tele phase takes long enough with just 4 worms.

- buffing the physics objects, adding interesting ones that slams worms to ground for 1 turn, unable to move etc
IMO, it would be enough just to make them do a lil damage to worms standing nearby when they explode. They are pretty useless atm. Also because when you block a worm with them the worm can get out easily by just jumping against it a bunch of times.

By the way, these games might've been cooler if W:A players participated the closed betas. I was in Rev beta and 99% of the active people there were Reloaded and W2:A fans and you know what kind of suggestions and criticisms many of them give  :-X For example there was a suggestion report to make the PC version's weapon panel smaller and to not be in the middle of the screen covering everything else. Some guy used his time to come and write a comment to the report like "I disagree. I don't need to see other stuff when selecting weapons." Even if you don't care, what is the downside of this suggestion? Arghhghh FUUUUCK >:(

I agree that virtually all of these testers are clueless. But part of the problem is also T17 who don't really pay attention to any gameplay issues. If they had seriously play-tested this game they would have found out that it was unplayable.
I'm first in the deathmatch rankings now, but I win my games almost solely on placement and picking a decent combination of classes. In the game itself I f@#! up so many times that I'm no better than a random noob. And that's not my fault, it's cause the whole game mechanics are rubbish.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 02:01 PM »
It's not just Worms that is like this, most games are going in the direction of "less gameplay/story, better graphics" for the dumbass nerver generations of facebook & twitter plebs so they can make more money faster and don't really seem to care what the REAL gamers think.

I am glad I was alive to enjoy my childhood with the retro computer consoles.

HHC - Lol man, I loved that post :) Thanks for the review I don't have to waste my time/money now.

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 11:29 PM »

Does this work every time? I heard another guy say it works only half the time, it's much of a gamble really.

Not in all situations and the first rope attach much be in a good spot. And the autohop thing is pretty random, can't really be sure what direction the worm is going to jump.

I know Reloaded might be better in many ways but I just despise playing it, the style and everything. I agree with your points. They really haven't got the slightest clue what makes Armageddon one of the best games ever. For someone who wants new and improved W:A, Rev is complete garbage, yes.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 12:19 AM »
I never thought about buying Worms Rev., but now I know that I can erase T17 from my memory forever, getting worse and worse everytime they make a Worms game. :P