Forums
May 02, 2024, 10:48 PM

Author Topic: 30 second rr.  (Read 5132 times)

Offline avirex

30 second rr.
« on: October 26, 2010, 05:17 PM »
me crazy and mablak were ttrr'ing the other day... and then i asked them how they would feel if 30 second rr's were re-intoduced to the league...

im all for it, and crazy agrees....

i believe it will make it more competitive for all skill levels, and although mablak always will prefer ttrr, he agrees that rr will be more competetive...

the thing is tho, we now have the optin to make big maps so lets utilize that... we need to have people make big rr maps (but still the same style as eminefs, Az, Nail, etc.)

just in a bigger area... kinda like stacking 4 of NAiLs maps into 1 big map to rope race on....his maps r generally 47 seconds long, so 4 of them combined would be 180+ seconds. meaning.. 6 fast and consistant turns can win you the race...

right now ttr is a scheme that seems to be dominated by about 10 or so racers... mab,dibz, shy, dulek, etc.

but if it were a 6 to 10 turn 30 second rr, it can make it a little more competetive and fun for EVERYONE.... obvioulsy the fast ttrr's are always going to have an advantage.. but atleast with a big rr map, the slower consistant rope races may still have a chance... i would really like to see this added to an scheme option... whats everyone think??

ediit: let me just also note: i presented this idea to dibz a while back, when he was in doH, he also liked the idea.. and thinks it will be more competetive aswell... so this idea has been floating arounnd in my hollow head for a while now, i just have not made the post... so here it is... lets hear what everyone else thinks.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 05:20 PM by avirex »

Offline Maciej

Re: 30 second rr.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:16 PM »
i will always prefer ttrr too, there would be still draws if 2 good players take part in one game, but it's better option for new players

what about big tight maps i love them! n way of training.
Once I had really great map! it was all in light green colour, it looked nice, but unfortunely i have never saved it anywhere... argh! I had it from Filon, but he doesn't have it anymore i guess :P

Offline Crazy

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Yes I agree! I don`t think the revolution of TTRR was ment to make 30 sec dissapear completely. I think it`s important to keep both as an option when picking the scheme, because RR 30 sec has been normal to pick as a scheme for the same amount of time (if not longer) then TTRR. If I`m saying this in jealousy because I`m not fast enough in RR myself? I don`t think so and I don`t hope so, I just loved to RR in a more turn based way. After all, worms is a turn based strategic game. As Avi says it would probably make it more competitive. Wether using bigger maps is needed, I`m not really sure if I agree 100%, but it could be tested out. I just think that if we are to ever save the "normal" way of RR`ing, the scheme must be put in the league very soon.

Offline Crazy

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:25 PM »
i will always prefer ttrr too, there would be still draws if 2 good players take part in one game, but it's better option for new players

Would you please stop using this as an argument, because it is simply not true. Ofcourse, sometimes it would end in a draw just like in TTRR, but not in the same scale as many of you guys think. Maciej, play some 30 sec RR`s vs any good player and post the replays here. And don`t rope in order to make it a draw, rope like you would in a league game ;P

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:30 PM »
As a leader of the Progressive Worms Party, I approve this suggestion
  <-- my brain when I clan with avi

Offline angus

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 01:02 AM »
only in map like nail bts or something like that can work well...  ;)

Offline chakkman

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 02:17 PM »
In TTRR speed and consistency count. In 30 sec RR only consistency counts unless you have maps that require 5 turns or more, then also speed counts, but then... you can have that in TTRR. :) And forget abiut the tactical aspects, it's rr and no strategical scheme.

Offline avirex

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 02:29 PM »
I dont agree with that at all... R u sure about what u just said?? Maybe ur confused?? We will have to have a game...   Ninjacamel said he is going to work on some maps.. Hopefully he does. The faster roper will have the advanrage for sure... But the consistant roper can still have a chance... Think about it...

Offline chakkman

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 03:21 PM »
I think you are confused. :)

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 03:25 PM »
I think 30 sec RR would be quite interesting.  If the map was larger like Avi suggested.  Someone could absolutely hammer it through and afford a mistake if over 4 or 5 goes they gain a 'go' advantage over someone.

It would open rr up to more people too which is a good idea.

Again, just having some maps for people to choose wouldn't be a bad thing.

Arguing about ifs and buts and stuff could go on forever.  If my mum had 8 tits she would be a pork etc.  Show us your maps Avi and I'm sure people will try them out :<

*edit* - Also, ttrr games are often over so quickly.  Wouldn't hurt to make more of a match out of rope race games by prolonging the enjoyment with a few 30 second turns.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 03:29 PM by Cueshark »

Offline Husk

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 06:11 PM »
isn't the one and only idea in roperace to be faster than ur opponent? timetrial is better at achiving this than 30 sec rr. timetrial = less draws (better for league)

Offline franz

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 07:02 PM »
isn't the one and only idea in roperace to be faster than ur opponent? timetrial is better at achiving this than 30 sec rr. timetrial = less draws (better for league)

not necessarily.  in rrtt, yes you have to be faster than your opponent, but you also have more chances to mess up and still win since you have 3 fresh tries to win.  in 30s rr, you rely on your first worm.  you still have to be faster than your opponent to try to win, but any mistake is way more costly in this style.  it adds more pressure and forces players to be more consistent.

Offline Husk

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 07:28 PM »
oh yes, true.

Offline chakkman

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 07:51 PM »
in 30s rr, you rely on your first worm.  you still have to be faster than your opponent to try to win
On long maps. And if i take a look at what maps usually get played it is mostly linear 2 turners. Even if you play on a map that requires 3 turns its most likely that not the faster but the more safe player wins. Anyway, i'll always prefer TTRR to 30 secs RR but if you like it to be in the league, why not. I still think TTRR is a logical progression from 30 sec RR. :) That's why it kinda replaced it i guess.

Offline franz

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 07:56 PM »
On long maps. And if i take a look at what maps usually get played it is mostly linear 2 turners. Even if you play on a map that requires 3 turns its most likely that not the faster but the more safe player wins. Anyway, i'll always prefer TTRR to 30 secs RR but if you like it to be in the league, why not. I still think TTRR is a logical progression from 30 sec RR. :) That's why it kinda replaced it i guess.

I actually still prefer rrtt, but the people wanting 30s rr have their reasons. I wouldn't mind playing 30s rr if I was forced to because I can understand if a player likes it better.