Forums
May 03, 2024, 05:10 AM

Author Topic: barman and his bng skillz  (Read 15264 times)

Offline Devilage

barman and his bng skillz
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:53 PM »
HEy.

and this!
* notchtable2.pdf (39.12 kB - downloaded 227 times.)

Here's a notch table for forward winds (ones blowing in the direction of an opponent). N = notch, D = distance.
Negative notches indicate that you need to turn your worm back.

quote from barman! :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:51 AM by MonkeyIsland »

Smoking proud.

Offline barman

Re: barman and his bng skillz
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:58 PM »
I had to write this post, didn't we agree on that?
That's the notch table and on-screen ruler I've been using in the first two or three weeks of learning bng. It's useful but gets boring and tedious quickly, but as soon as one's skill progresses, it gets harder and harder to rely on that stuff. So while this method is good for learning bng, it has practically no use in real life situations where you simply don't have time to look up the big ass table and count dots on the monitor.

My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

Offline Devilage

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:00 AM »
Quote from barman

I made myself a pixel ruler. I just measured how long is 100 pixels on my monitor, wrote the distances down on  a thin ribbon of paper and glued it to the bottom of the screen. The black dots mark consecutive full power no wind notches.

cheating in my eyes, what does the rest thinks?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:52 AM by MonkeyIsland »

Smoking proud.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 12:04 AM »
It's lame and it ruined BnG, but i'm afraid it's not cheating as much as it pains me to say so...

Offline Devilage

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:11 AM »
yeah I wondered how he became so good so fast, lol

Smoking proud.

Offline barman

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 12:21 AM »
yeah I wondered how he became so good so fast, lol
Learn numbers, learn to estimate distances, start practicing. All that was covered in the bng tutorial in dt private, wasn't it?
Don't think that a ruler is an ultimate solution, though, it gets useless quickly. Not sure if I played at least one league game with it, I was rather inactive throughout all January 2012 when I was learning bng.
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

Offline nino

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 12:21 AM »
he still deserves respect for making that table hauhauha

hard work xDDDDD
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Devilage

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 12:46 AM »
heaheahahea, sure barman not the exact shots tho. it gets useless quickly aslong as u managed to learn them by memory.

Smoking proud.

Offline Crazy

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 12:51 AM »
So that's where barman got his nick from

Offline Devilage

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 01:13 AM »
So that's where barman got his nick from

lmfao

Smoking proud.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 01:28 AM »
So for the record, are visual aids like that ruler below the screen against the TUS rules or not? I remember the huge debate Mab started back then, just not its conclusions.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 03:43 AM »
So for the record, are visual aids like that ruler below the screen against the TUS rules or not? I remember the huge debate Mab started back then, just not its conclusions.
And paper bags under the space and stuff, damn, this topics (like the Crazy's with the old replays, macros, keyboard mods, alias) seems to be recycled every 1 or 2 years in wa forums... I like it  :D

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 03:46 AM »
That's a good point actually Twy... If visual aids were not allowed, why should paper under spacebars, modding keyboards etc be allowed?

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 04:05 AM »
let's ban finger roll!

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 04:48 AM »
Doesn't make sense to establish a limit on spacebar/arrow/etc. sensitivity, because there's no standard kb with standard sensitivity, from the start of WA we've all been using different kbs with different amounts of responsiveness. Sensitivity of the keys seems like a parameter we should be able to tweak as much as we like, since there's never been any disagreement that it's fine for it to vary significantly from kb to kb.

In terms of visual aids though, it's not something we started with much agreement on, and it seems like most people are against them. And yes, you can't use visual aids currently. We certainly could allow them, but they ruin BnG (even further), and in other schemes allow people to write down information, use transparencies for distances, etc.