Forums
April 29, 2024, 01:24 AM

Author Topic: Design Dynamics  (Read 115 times)

Offline Perfect

Design Dynamics
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:16 PM »
Ok, I drew a basic sketch of the current TUS website. I will work on portion 2 of the website (looks) and later ask MI to allow us to tweak portion 1 (content_section) after we can agree on a look. It is backwards of me to begin that way, but I like to know what my limits are on placing content in certain areas.

I've also thought about a 3 column website, but I'm not sure if it will par will with users with smaller screens or resolution. I have to put an idea down on ink (figuratively) and work from there. It's how i do it.

*edit1: the png file is editable.

MI, so we are making this design.. Do we just give you a picture and let you implement it? I am confused as to how we are suppose to test, reshape, or alter a working template without direct access to some sort of test subject. I know it can be done, just I've never done it like that before. Am I correct in assuming this is how we will build a new design?

Offline Perfect

Re: Design Dynamics
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:17 PM »
Here goes an idea I drew up. It's a working (and editable) model. But I think League, Cups, Tourneys, and Challenges may be grouped into one easy button. But perhaps we should separate League and CTC into it's own tab. Keep in mind so far I am encompassing a simple navigation. We still need to maintain an advanced navi on the side or something; a fine tuned version.

Colors are not exact and I tried to maintain minimum site width of 1024. What are your thoughts?  :-*
This is only 1 of possible many header designs.

Flat. Non-editable.

Editable below.

**edit: darn attachments keep swapping order. xD
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:25 PM by Perfect »

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:28 PM »
If you can code in HTML, you can give me your HTML, CSS, JS scripts etc etc. If not, then I have to code from your image. I need to see all the links relation in your design to see. So far I see only the leagues and forums. Also what downloads represent?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Perfect

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 07:30 PM »
All this is way in it's early stages. It's just an idea. I'm just asking for input. Downloads would represent Schemes, Maps, Files. Keep in mind....this is not final; very early rough rough draft.

Offline Perfect

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 07:34 PM »
I'm also posting this early idea upfront so that I can see whether you think it is a hit or miss. I don't want to devote time to something which you don't feel is good enough. I am limited on time, unfortunately. :( So I rather you say "NO!" so I can present another possible look.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Sure, that's why we're here. You have to consider something. TUS is not like a clan page to show its goodies like graves. The map db alone have 10,000 maps with authors assigned and it is a pretty unique system. Also it is our first BIT map resource on WN.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Perfect

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:36 PM »
TUS is not like a clan page to show its goodies like graves
Ouch, but I'm aware. I can't change your system, and I'm not. fada is taking lead in link consolidation, I was merely presenting one of the many possible ways to make it easier for new comers. Your parent links are repeated on the side Navigation, which will stay. A friendly quick-menu will help out newly registered folks.

I changed a few things and toned down the prettiness so it wouldn't give off the vibe of a simple clan page. I do want to hear fada and hhc's thoughts. Nonetheless, I think their may be a misunderstanding in my examples. Please keep an open mind, as will I.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 09:07 PM »
Nice start perfect ! :)
Now come the evil fada ;) but please note that all I say is my opinion nothing more and also the link itselfs need the click heatmap in order to know which one are the most important.
The way I see the top menu is rather a one link thingy without any menu. The idea is that this menu has to be very easy and very league based. The act to have to move your mouse and then select an element is not good in term of application and should be avoided as much as possible. The thing here is to simplify the website without losing content. I am suggesting this menu on top while waiting for the click heatmap results:
Forum Recent games  Standing  Playoffs  Hall of frame  Misc Help
When you want to do something good always watch what already exist and is proven good. Please take a look here: http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/video-game-websites

From this or this  or this here is what I see:
-there is two line menu on the top
-the login is on top
-No constant flag link to change the language
-on left and right there is an important margin
-the news part is huge

Not saying it has to be what we do but it is some interresting alternative.

Offline Perfect

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Those game websites are pretty sleek, fada. Though in this following design, I didn't introduce the top-only navigation/menus. Having the menus on top would help make our job easier ;D, but I can't help but wonder where the shoutbox will go.  :-X Let's not throw the game website (top menu) idea out though.

Encompassing HHC's refined menu from MAD TUS (link) and trying to meet all the other wormy/noob-friendly goals, we have this design that I scatched up from the last. I do believe we will use the Jquery plug-in (link) to help create a good how-to for new comers, but for this visual, it's not present (too early).

We are trying to keep the design simple for right now. With the exception of the site tutorial, we can attempt to tweak and culture the design later.

As always, this is a rough, early design. Nothing is promised to stay intact. All ideas are welcomed. Please provide constructive criticism as to if we should scrap the side navi and adopt a top-only menu, etc , etc.

And if you think it is utter garbage, then say it. :P Perfect may need to hear it.

*edit: If we can, lets try to keep animated graphics to a minimum. The water on the image is just to a filler for now; though it doesn't mean it will be scrapped. And the flags and menu links on the top are optional, yet not necessary needed [there].
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:47 PM by Perfect »

Offline Perfect

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 07:50 PM »
I also wanted to illustrate that this design can/will allow for alternate themes based on randomness or time/day. See 2nd attachment for example. There is also placement for an additional menu above the top gold-striped line, for an optional (maybe) opt-in, menu for functions of this site that require it (ie, league-->standings/report etc).

And again, the top menu/links are rough. Perhaps we can have it swappable between advanced and basic menu? ???

When time permits, I will try to draft an example of how a top-menu-only system may work.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:03 PM »
I like where it is going perfect :)

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 01:04 AM »
Yes me too perfect. It is quite good. I'll try to find some "bad" thing tomorrow :)

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 01:37 PM »
Hey dudes, I am sorry to be so inactive on this forum. I think about it a lot and feel ashamed of my poor income in all of this.
Maybe see if you remove the water in the bottom if it helps.
I wish I had more time to spend on it :'(

Offline HHC

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 01:47 PM »
I agree, this design is really nice Perf, and it looks easy to use as well, to newcomers and experienced users alike  :)

Offline Perfect

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Sorry mates, I been moving, starting my old job again, and doing lots of business travel. I plan on finishing this design, so please bare with me. I just need to dissect and cut the images into their right dimensions.. unless of course someone else would like to take the reins on that? :-*