Forums
May 13, 2024, 11:17 PM

Author Topic: Ropers Only League - Read please =)  (Read 5308 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Ropers Only League - Read please =)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 08:10 AM »
We all would like to see the list of ppl who left TUS cause MI did a bad job?

I never said he did or does a bad job, if you are going to quote me at least use the exact words I used please.

Many players have became inactive for various reasons, TuS has became stale and dull to them, same sh*t different day.

I've been around this game playing leagues for most of my life, i've became friends with hundreds of people and we talk about history, leagues, schemes very often, I spectate games and pay attention to what people say regarding their feelings for this league compared to others.

You don't need a list, you need experience, and with time/curiosity comes knowledge.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 08:49 AM »
I still think that majority of ppl who quit worms are 30+ yr old guys that no longer have time or desire to compete here. None of the additions would stop ppl leaving.

Tus have it's ways to attract more wormers, and it's been like that since 2008. New members still appear on daily basis.

MI and the guys are probably tired of non-stop "provocations" to add new stuff. And for what?!? That rope league is gonna last 1-2 months and then someone will make a thread to bring things the way they were before. Running in circles imo.

---> IMO!

Offline Senator

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 08:56 AM »
TRL would be open if it was popular enough. TRL #25 was WxW and only 110 games was played (no playoffs). Roper or TTRR could do better though. Time for TRL TTRR?

Maybe it should be possible to play for overall rating after a player has reached the season limit with someone (like 15 extra games for overall rating). You wouldn't gain/lose any points for season rating from the extra games.

Offline spleen17

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 09:04 AM »
I think a TRL ZaR season would be cool, it's a fast-paced roping scheme that is not already in tus classic (so shouldn't suffer as TRL wxw did with players agreeing to report for Tus or TRL depending on who the winner is).

I would be prepared to sponsor it with a money prize for the winner (maybe $50 or so, unless anyone else wants to chip in). But this offer is for ZaR season only :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Time to time people forget that the TUS league was not my idea. Many of its rules are the community's decision which formed over time. The same goes for the 15 games limit. The objections for 15 games limit are valid. But the abuse probability of not having one is much higher.

Having a rope-based league is not bad, but for it to work I must disable Classic league. Otherwise a portion of Classic league players may move to Roper-league. Also having a rope-based league demands a ground-based league as well. Which brings up the idea, we could disable Classic league and start two separate leagues instead?

Another idea is to host a rope-based league with TRL. (yes TRL supports multi-schemes per season)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline biscuits

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 09:43 AM »
Time to time people forget that the TUS league was not my idea. Many of its rules are the community's decision which formed over time. The same goes for the 15 games limit. The objections for 15 games limit are valid. But the abuse probability of not having one is much higher.

Having a rope-based league is not bad, but for it to work I must disable Classic league. Otherwise a portion of Classic league players may move to Roper-league. Also having a rope-based league demands a ground-based league as well. Which brings up the idea, we could disable Classic league and start two separate leagues instead?

Another idea is to host a rope-based league with TRL. (yes TRL supports multi-schemes per season)

Well I don't think getting rid of classic league would be a good idea, that's kind of what is keeping worms alive, lol. Dividing everything into 2 separate leagues (rope and ground) would probably be a bad idea since this game isn't as active as it used to be, and it seems like their are more ground players around then ropers these days, hence why I suggested a small league/group for us ropers lol.

I think the TRL route would be a good move MI, with TTRR/Roper/WxW as the 3 schemes to pick from.

good game W:A Steam reviews

courtesy of "gloom" for allowing me to use this signature, it's the best ;)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 09:52 AM »
Really, you've got to laugh at this...

In the space of 2 hours, 5 different people have replied with 5 different ideas.

It's nice people are creative and innovative but I mean come on...

Wouldn't it be better to simplify TuS instead of this charade?

Reset EVERYTHING, watch the acvitity ;)

Offline biscuits

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 10:18 AM »
TRL would be open if it was popular enough. TRL #25 was WxW and only 110 games was played (no playoffs). Roper or TTRR could do better though. Time for TRL TTRR?

Maybe it should be possible to play for overall rating after a player has reached the season limit with someone (like 15 extra games for overall rating). You wouldn't gain/lose any points for season rating from the extra games.
That's actually a really smart idea Senator. Just play for overall rating and not for season points, kinda like a funner but you're at least getting something out of it and not losing much. But what my idea of TRL is.... is that your not subjected to playing just the 1 rope based scheme for that season... you can pick from all 3, adds more diversity to it. Doesn't make it as stale.

Really, you've got to laugh at this...

In the space of 2 hours, 5 different people have replied with 5 different ideas.

It's nice people are creative and innovative but I mean come on...

Wouldn't it be better to simplify TuS instead of this charade?

Reset EVERYTHING, watch the acvitity ;)

That would actually be pretty cool, lol... reset everything and make ground league and rope league? Haha, but I don't think that anyone would follow through with that m8. I could be wrong though. Maybe we should add a poll to this thread to see what decisions we can come too? As I said I don't mind being in charge of the league and I'm sure a few people wouldn't mind MOD'ing it.

If only there was a way to advertise TUS when new schoolers log into wormnet :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:27 AM by biscuits »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 11:42 AM »

It's not that biscuits' idea is bad, because it isn't. 

But at this point, TUS singles is at about 1/3 activity of what it was a few years ago.  This season is a good spike upward from recent seasons, but not nearly enough to necessitate a new league.  IMO this could only worked during seasons 20-30 or so when activity was at its' very highest.  Rope league would pull activity like biscuit's (he's played 250 games or so in classic) from an already activity challenged league.  I just want TUS to thrive and survive, when in reality we might have already seen it's half life.  Sustaining activity long term should be the league's biggest goal, and I think MI has that in mind when shutting down certain leagues. 

I think the best solution is support for a rope based TRL scheme, and let activity in the TRL season be proof for a bigger need of a rope only league.  Mi has always been fair in this aspect, prove to him a need exists, and he has been accommodating to that need.

Offline spleen17

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 11:47 AM »
I wouldn't mind an overall reset, but splitting tus into ground and rope would suck imo. The whole point of this league for me is that you have to develop skills in both. Activity will suffer too because it will be the same few players dominating each league, at least at the moment a new player can pick ground against a good roper, or vice versa.

Also with a TRL rope season, you have the problem of players coming to agreements with one reporting for TRL and the other for tus. So neither league is really being played properly a lot of the time.

If you want a seperate rope league you could at least make the schemes different from why is already in tus classic. For example, roper (zook only), big RR, wascar, ttrr with all worms counting, etc, Just change the rules a bit.

In short, keep tus classic the same please!

P.s my offer of money prize for ZaR TRL season still stands.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 12:00 PM »
Separating league in 2 parts could go wrong.
You're not gonna divide ground and rope schemes, you're gonna divide players too.

Maybe there will be less butthurting and drama, but cmon.. Isn't that what we all looking forward to see on this site!? :)

Offline Sbaffo

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 12:18 PM »
Trl ttrr.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 12:24 PM »
TuS is indeed the longest running main-wa-league based website for WA, many regard it as the most successful, but what makes it a success? Well that's up to each visiter.

For me it's the best WA website, but not the best league.

If you ask me, the 3 scheme leagues were better, and you could argue the Singles/Clanners were even more active back then, making them more successful.

There was less avoiding back then, maybe because serious players had enough spare time to practise 3 schemes, unlike now where there are 8, it's kinda overwhelming for most players, people can literally spend years to get good enough to compete with the best.

Roper / Elite / BnG - The 3 original main league schemes, the true classics.

Team17 / TTRR / WxW / Shopper / Hysteria - The following up main league schemes, kind of modern classics.

Do we really need 8 schemes? Personally speaking i'd love to go back to the original 3 schemes, I know that will likely never happen but it's pretty cool to have participated that way before.

Offline biscuits

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 12:47 PM »
TuS is indeed the longest running main-wa-league based website for WA, many regard it as the most successful, but what makes it a success? Well that's up to each visiter.

For me it's the best WA website, but not the best league.

If you ask me, the 3 scheme leagues were better, and you could argue the Singles/Clanners were even more active back then, making them more successful.

There was less avoiding back then, maybe because serious players had enough spare time to practise 3 schemes, unlike now where there are 8, it's kinda overwhelming for most players, people can literally spend years to get good enough to compete with the best.

Roper / Elite / BnG - The 3 original main league schemes, the true classics.

Team17 / TTRR / WxW / Shopper / Hysteria - The following up main league schemes, kind of modern classics.

Do we really need 8 schemes? Personally speaking i'd love to go back to the original 3 schemes, I know that will likely never happen but it's pretty cool to have participated that way before.

Yeah Komito, I totally agree with that lol. 8 schemes is kind of crazy, but I guess it's all there by demand. Hell, Shopper is such a pointless scheme man, I honestly don't know how anyone enjoys playing that competitively. lol. I totally remember the olden golden days where BnG unanchored/anchored was very popular, roper and elite only. Shit, when I first got into W:A when it first came out I remember all I did was BnG but I wanted to get better at roping, so I did, after years, lol. But yeah, no other scheme was played really.

It's not that biscuits' idea is bad, because it isn't. 

But at this point, TUS singles is at about 1/3 activity of what it was a few years ago.  This season is a good spike upward from recent seasons, but not nearly enough to necessitate a new league.  IMO this could only worked during seasons 20-30 or so when activity was at its' very highest.  Rope league would pull activity like biscuit's (he's played 250 games or so in classic) from an already activity challenged league.  I just want TUS to thrive and survive, when in reality we might have already seen it's half life.  Sustaining activity long term should be the league's biggest goal, and I think MI has that in mind when shutting down certain leagues. 

I think the best solution is support for a rope based TRL scheme, and let activity in the TRL season be proof for a bigger need of a rope only league.  Mi has always been fair in this aspect, prove to him a need exists, and he has been accommodating to that need.

Thanks for the reply Walrus. Appreciate the backup on my idea being good. As far as TUS Classic league is concerned and clanners, I wouldn't be leaving Classic, it would just be nice to have an alternative rope league where I can just play rope games and not have to worry about my opponent picking a ground scheme. I'm sure others would feel the same way. I'm pretty active on this game as I came back, and just because I've played 250+ games doesn't mean anything, I'm trying to be an active member of the community and help keep the league alive by playing TUS. As you can see I randomly disappeared in Season 47 and 48 without even saying anything, but I hope to not do that again. And if that does indeed happen, I will let people know (not that anyone cares)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:32 PM by biscuits »

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 03:30 PM »
I hope something changes this time.. I would become active again for a rope based league.
I highly encourage a global reset and make a tribute page for "the best of the previous age", would be nice to start it fresh again since Random00 and Barman are logically unreachable with the actual activity.
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓