Forums
May 01, 2024, 11:25 AM

Author Topic: Integrate TUS/leagues in W:A  (Read 3059 times)

Offline TOMT

Integrate TUS/leagues in W:A
« on: April 28, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Seriously, what does it take?
Me personally would dig deep into my pocket, and I know others would too. For starters I would pay 1000$. Then I would keep contributing less for maintenance.
Every wormer I have talked to would participate with money. Some have greater economic strength than others and would contribute more.
Of course this would be physically possible, the interest for something like this is great, the money is already on the table, Wormnet is full of capable programmers.
Would Team17 agree to something like this? What does it take? Ideas?

Wouldn't this be fun:

W:A Buttons to click:

[Join funner game room]

[Join league game room]

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:08 PM by TOMT »

Offline Kradie

Re: Integrate TUS/leagues in W:A
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:50 PM »
This would be an epic opportunity not just to integrate league systems in WA, but a more modern take on the UI. This would help beginners and players in general to look up details on popular schemes in the game itself.  As well as new user friendly tools, and features that could benefit everyone.

A complete graphics overhaul and update on current terrains, sprites, and texture would be a juicy feast without sacrificing the core gameplay itself.

I am no programmer but a casual player of the community who would not mind offering a penny or two.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:53 PM »
I think it'd be better to start implementing Worms: Ultimate ideas in a new, fresh game that'd be able to compete in today's gaming world.
I have not so great knowledge about programming (well, maybe I'm wrong, see the Dunning–Kruger effect xD), but W:A really inspires me, and this gives me great motivation towards learning. W:A will be never forgotten if we keep the torch burning  :)
And yeah, it takes time, though, as always and anything. I have ambitious and interesting ideas that are hard to implement  :)

Offline rUNaW4y

• “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:10 PM »
T17 agreement is required. Even if w:a's source code could be available, i dont think players/programmers around AG will be able to rewrite/add a new feature like this one. TOMT, are you thinking about to donate money to T17 or just other programmers in order to implement the feature we talking about?

Offline Kradie

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 08:17 PM »
Not necessary Team17 but freelancers/none with the required skills that could take on this task for Team17 due to the possible high demand of the WA community.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:24 PM »
I am in! As a programmer ;) But the first step should be that Deadcode and Cybershadow would tell us how the developing of the new update is going on. You start to plan something and maybe 2 days later we will get a new game already :D

Offline darKz

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:46 PM »
Don't throw any money at T17, they basically abandoned this game. The only people who deserve any money regarding W:A development are CyberShadow and DeadCode. That being said, I don't know how much time they currently have at hand. They're on IRC fairly frequently, you should try talking to them.
#worms @ GameSurge
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 03:39 PM »
I think there are some serious problems regarding developing this game.

First:
The big elephant in the room.  Many of W:A players, deep inside think that this game belongs to history and it can't compete with today's inductry anymore. They look at this game as a nostalgia, like a NES game and that's it. To compete in today's industry, you need at least a better looking game. 256-color palette won't cut it.

Second:
I think this game has gone into a non-creative lazy mod. My wife's dad calls it mind masturbation. It's an state of mind where you are full of great ideas, you get excited with endless possibilities (you get a mind-orgasm). After that you are really not in the mood to DO any of those. It was just your imagination, no real life motivation. That's where 4.0 stands.

Third:
Team17, W:A developers, TUS and people who can change it are NOT united.

Team17's position on this game is obvious. It is an abandoned game, hence its developers are not important enough. W:A developers doesn't like that attitude. They are also not in need of the "community money". You go one level lower and there is TUS. TUS is an individual project grown with the help of the community. To many W:A elders, after 6 years of serving the community, it is still an impolite kid sticking out his tongue at them.

An example is, TUS hosts over 10,000 BIT maps. It would a nice addition to Hosting Buddy. People could load BIT maps by giving TUS Map ID. This idea has been rejected. (not going into details)

In brief, each party does improvements as they see fit for themselves in their own time-table.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Mr MonkeyIsland.

You are right when it comes to the age of this game, the nostalgia that linger on with WA players.
You are right when it comes to ''just talk''. People tend to talk and get nothing done.

So tell me Mister MonkeyIsland. Who are not united? Who will not fund this project? Who will not take the necessary steps to make ''just talk'' a reality? Who is to say that the age of this game poses an issue?

These issues that have been presented and perhaps more to come, are bricks of walls and can be easily be taken down and reassembled to a new and better end result.

With the right commitment to something one loves, big things can come out of it. I see a lot of players both old school and new school who would appreciate change.

You say that this game is old and abandoned. That may seem so yes, but yet this game is on sale on Steam. A lot of new people and coming people have come from Steam. I do not see issue in updating the game for marketing purpose because it is still on sale.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 01:18 AM »
Totally agree with MI.
I'd add that any amount of money wouldn't be enough for the work needed. At least not to Occidental standard. If you want something big, you are speaking of several month of coding for several people. Therefore, any amount will be like peanut compared to your real life work and it won't motivate anyone and make things harder to manage actually.
The only sustainable solution in my opinion, would be to make WA open source and community managed (like most of big github projects). However, I doubt T17 would agree and it could expose security breach which could ultimately kill the game.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:20 AM by zippeurfou »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 06:00 AM »
TUS hosts over 10,000 BIT maps. It would a nice addition to Hosting Buddy. People could load BIT maps by giving TUS Map ID. This idea has been rejected. (not going into details)

Could you elaborate on that please? Why wouldn't whoever is in charge of HostingBuddy allow people to use TuS maps? Wouldn't that improve the service? Or is it because it wasn't their idea, or because they are not in control of the source they won't do it?

you are speaking of several month of coding for several people.

I think you are exaggerating here, several months for several people? Sure, if they only spend 30-60 minutes a day...

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 12:11 PM »
I think you are exaggerating here, several months for several people? Sure, if they only spend 30-60 minutes a day...

When you have a job/wife/kid spending 60 minutes a day is a lot in my world.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 02:49 PM »
There are other paths to take and one of them are not necessary via TuS.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 04:48 PM »

When you have a job/wife/kid spending 60 minutes a day is a lot in my world.

Hence why they would be getting paid a proper wage, it would be an official job.

Offline TOMT

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 12:41 PM »
If this was to be done as simple as possible, let's say only make a ranking system for just one scheme at first, and only maintain this for two months, what would be the necessary steps? How many programmers, how many working hours, etc.?