Forums
April 28, 2024, 03:26 AM

Author Topic: New / Old Gap  (Read 2916 times)

Offline iClown

Re: New / Old Gap
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 11:45 PM »
I was thinking about all of this and the thought that maybe, and just maybe, HostingBuddy is a major cause of all of this. Another thing I remember from when the community was still strong is that there was no HB and people would spam 'host shopper! host shopper!' in #AG. It was annoying but, they were forced to join our games and learn from their fellow wormers. If they wanted to host their own games they went to any number of websites that offer solutions and hosting alternatives instead of !host whatever.
Im sure we can all agree that HB games are dreadful anyway -- most random maps are bad, all of the schemes are made by trolls -- maybe there is a way we could get rid of it, at least for a period of time?

++ Thanks for all the support up in here!
Dark One: good call on the wormtube link- Ive added it. Cueshark video is made of lulz! xD
FULL STOP.

Offline OrangE

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 11:56 PM »
ps. A little idea popped into my mind. A wk module or an internal part of wa in the next update which shows the scheme's basic rules to whole lobby. Let's say if the host writes "/rules shopper" in the chat? Easy enough to code, right?

Much better than a WK module: something like that is in plan for 4.0!

Those shoppers are noob shoppers. Hosts are usually people who can reliably rope, but not good enough for / not yet heard about leagues. It's their little competition for their skill level and they take it very seriously. They're in the learning phase regarding both the game and the attitude, ergo those games where noobs get kicked without explanation will always be there, until that feature gets done.

we have a big project in this direction but let's go step by step.

Then it should be teaching people about the variations of shopper rules and the differences between funners and league games. Anyway, a WK module will hardly effect those games hosted by noobs with a noob attitude.

my vision is about having a minor league for people that just started to play and don't have pro skills but want to compete anyway. there is a lot of people out there that i'm sure would play such a thing. this would bring a lot more competitivity in this game, more interest. and TUS would benefit about this in long term period (more people starting playing competitively, more people will reach enough skills to play TUS). i've thougt of tournaments arranged between that minor league and TUS players, too.
but i think now is really too much early to talk about this, we will see how things envelope. lets go step by step! but i really love this excitement, i can feel the positive waves going, here :D

Offline OrangE

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 12:07 AM »
I was thinking about all of this and the thought that maybe, and just maybe, HostingBuddy is a major cause of all of this. Another thing I remember from when the community was still strong is that there was no HB and people would spam 'host shopper! host shopper!' in #AG. It was annoying but, they were forced to join our games and learn from their fellow wormers. If they wanted to host their own games they went to any number of websites that offer solutions and hosting alternatives instead of !host whatever.
Im sure we can all agree that HB games are dreadful anyway -- most random maps are bad, all of the schemes are made by trolls -- maybe there is a way we could get rid of it, at least for a period of time?

++ Thanks for all the support up in here!
Dark One: good call on the wormtube link- Ive added it. Cueshark video is made of lulz! xD

i agree about hostingbuddy but i also think that for now it's a very useful feature. the problem is just the community organization.

we should have a better "homepage" -> and with this i don't mean the TUS homepage, but just the way that newcomers "see" us.

why do you think that nlF had so much success back in times? i remember when i started worms: pretty much EVERYONE that was starting to play w:a was a nlF wannabe. well because they had a great "homepage". they looked cool, noob friendly but hard to join! so you would have to train a lot to ask the ambassadors a tryout. all was written down on their site, a lot of videos and nice gifs were available, all was fluid and working.

we want something like this. a youtube channel will bring people, a good place where to learn things about wa is needed.
but we don't need to do everything focused on noobs, we should just do the most simple thing ever: showing what we have. if people will get interested in this game they simply will start to follow the channel and learn things from there!
here we go! this is the "homepage" i was talking about. a good way to open the doors to the world.

Offline Prankster

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 01:29 AM »
Don't forget HB was made for a good purpose, it should be fixed instead of removed. I don't really know its flaws, never use it. But for example, I guess it can't host a proper BnG map and some schemes can be different from TUS "official" schemes. Anyway, people should be warned that it's not almighty. :D

OrangE, I see you already made a connection between the noob issue and the new project :)
I'm not really sure about the beginners' league idea. On one hand it can turn them into rule-maniac point hunters even more, but on the other hand I remember what struggle can it be to finally win some league games, motivation can be lost quite easily.
How would you imagine this separate league? Something like football divisions? The first "n" players after a specific number of seasons move to the higher division while last "n" moves down?

Offline iClown

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 05:26 AM »
There are a gang of good ideas in here but, another thing worth discussing is, if everyone did agree on something - how do we get the ball rolling? how do we get the plan into motion?

Also I didn't mean we should get rid of HostingBuddy forever. I was thinking as a temporary thing-- It, no doubt about it, needs fixed up. Maybe we could get it pulled for the period of time that it would take to fix the code. WMDB now has a new user rating system - HostingBuddy should probably be coded so that its map selection process is based off of that. Also the schemes; whoever decided to use the current schemes, in some cases, just did it to be a troll. I think maybe that should maybe be updated and or voted on or at the least some user opinions should be included in that process.
There are several benefits that HostingBuddy provides but there may be just as many if not MORE benefits to the absence of it. Only one way to be sure about it...
FULL STOP.

Offline Free

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 07:29 AM »
We want to see all the creative ideas people have so we can use most value about approaching major audience and making this game more eSport worthy in the long run.

The balls are rolling, trust me, a lot of really big things are on planning stage but we don't want to talk about them until they are 100% certain.

When you enter wormnet, a bot says summin like "if your a newcomer and want to know the rules/general etiquette, type !rules", it would already work wonders to keep those who just come once, get booted out all the time and quit all together.

Offline OrangE

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 11:04 AM »
Don't forget HB was made for a good purpose, it should be fixed instead of removed. I don't really know its flaws, never use it. But for example, I guess it can't host a proper BnG map and some schemes can be different from TUS "official" schemes. Anyway, people should be warned that it's not almighty. :D

OrangE, I see you already made a connection between the noob issue and the new project :)
I'm not really sure about the beginners' league idea. On one hand it can turn them into rule-maniac point hunters even more, but on the other hand I remember what struggle can it be to finally win some league games, motivation can be lost quite easily.
How would you imagine this separate league? Something like football divisions? The first "n" players after a specific number of seasons move to the higher division while last "n" moves down?

yeah something like that! something close to a ranked system i'd say  ;)

Offline iClown

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Im still working on everything here but I figured Id go ahead a share with you good people what Ive got done so far. Remember; its all under construction still - A lot of tidying up to do! You should get a good idea of what were trying to do though.

http://www.foreverleet.net23.net/

Any feedback is welcome. :D
FULL STOP.

Offline Free

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Im still working on everything here but I figured Id go ahead a share with you good people what Ive got done so far. Remember; its all under construction still - A lot of tidying up to do! You should get a good idea of what were trying to do though.

http://www.foreverleet.net23.net/

Any feedback is welcome. :D

Nice site! I really like the neat layout man. :) Keep working on it, it's gonna be a great resource!