Forums
April 26, 2024, 04:14 AM

Author Topic: TUS and WA Promotion Project  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Hussar

TUS and WA Promotion Project
« on: January 21, 2013, 11:04 PM »
Hey everyone,

TUS should be helpfull for this project. MI could make (if this is possible) some good features for streaming.

- Some calendar for exampleof streaming games
- which comenattors are able to comenatte games in which time
- what games are streaming now

etc...

wecan give some ideas and this topic should be good platform to comunicate with MI about this.

if am wrong, just delete !

Re: TUS and WA Promotion Project
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:21 AM »
Tus is still a league site. I know guys you all got used to it, but this is not what newcomer need.
I think we need promotion page. Very simple design, easy to remember site name and domain with feature of importing games, so people will be able to watch replays and learn, info about coming streams, simple forum without registration so every guest can ask for help. Just a short sitename but it contain all info, so we can share link everywhere, raise popularity will be much easier if we make it as start page, page that links to app other stuff
Believe me if the guy who never played worms open tus site he will close it next moment just like I did when I was newcomer and one guy link me to this site

Offline OrangE

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:16 AM »
Tus is still a league site. I know guys you all got used to it, but this is not what newcomer need.
I think we need promotion page. Very simple design, easy to remember site name and domain with feature of importing games, so people will be able to watch replays and learn, info about coming streams, simple forum without registration so every guest can ask for help. Just a short sitename but it contain all info, so we can share link everywhere, raise popularity will be much easier if we make it as start page, page that links to app other stuff
Believe me if the guy who never played worms open tus site he will close it next moment just like I did when I was newcomer and one guy link me to this site

agreed.

Offline Free

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:07 AM »
100% of the simple introduction but how it's made, I guess it's up to MI.

But MI is supporting this project, have no doubt about it.

Could you give your thoughts MI

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:10 AM »

Yes TUS's major activity is its leagues but TUS never was meant to be a league site and judging by the various non-league stuff it supports, it is not "just a league site".
Your idea sounds good and fair. A few to points to consider:

- It is out of my hands. At least on those words in red. So the solution is that you guys start it on your own.
- I don't think a simple site would work. If I want to join a community or get involved with something, I'd like to see the crowd. I'd like to see that the thing I'm getting involve into, has enough enthusiasts and I won't be alone. TUS gives me that, when I visit, there are stuff all over the place and it gives me the impression that they are busy enough. But maybe that's just me.
- TUS although seems complicated, it is very much flexible. For example, if you want to share TUS link but you don't want people to get bothered with default design, you can add theme parameter on any page you want:
https://www.tus-wa.com/?theme=3 will open up TUS in elegant design.

You can add language parameter on the fly too:
https://www.tus-wa.com/?theme=3;language=russian-utf8

That being said, it is possible to design custom pages on TUS. You can filter out stuff you don't like.
So in conclusion, you can design your "simple website", add that design to TUS, add your home page stuff and create a deep-link to that stuff. voila!. Also possible to have aliases for deep-linking, tus-wa.com/?theme=3;language=danish-utf8;filter=impossible_settings => tus-wa.com/our_streaming_channel

Closing my rambling,
I am currently busy in my personal life. As always I'd do my best to help you guys. If you want to have this project outside, it is totally fine with me, I just can't help you as much if you're outside, since that will be out of my range.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Free

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:37 AM »
Simple theme for newbies.

Newbie league for beginners, shouldn't require too much tweaking with your code, or does it MonkeyIsland? We as community could work with the external stuff (schemes, rules etc.) and modify it for the best we can.

Current moderators would be okay to help out with that or is it too much work? I also would like to help with moderating the newbie league.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:58 AM »
There could be maybe a popup window if the stream is active, or is that too violent?

Maybe it would be good having a "Get Started" link (or if you are watching the site first time then a popup window with a "skip" opportunity as well), where we could explain the main features of the site creatively (like 1001 excuses book on wnl site for example).  (A guide book) It could contain steps like 1st: choose your language and the other steps would come in his/her own language. Firstly I was thinking about a video for this, but I think this would be easier to realize and more user-friendly. And TUS is changing continuously so for example when TEL league gets a break then we could just inactivate the page about TEL of the guide book. ;) And finally I think we could make this only for the main theme of the site because if the user knows about the features then he will presumably find them with other theme too.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 11:44 AM »
when I said simple I had in mind friendly interface, things like holywars about scheme changes, or news about allround league on tus doesnt give interest for newcomer, why I want this page outside tus its just because it will work as link on advertising post and forums.
Imagine you gonna promote WA, if you link people to tus: they'll watch some games, travel around stats, maybe even find rules and check out how popular forum is, and if they figure out how global it is.. maybe they'll get interest and try to get involved into league.
if you link people to streaming: they'll watch stream, so there is chance they will open it once again next time
you can also link them to worms2d.info so they read hystory of 2d worms, or wormtube so people will check out some awesome moves but its not what we advertising worms for. We want raise the size of our community, means we need page for people to give, which contain all of the needed info to start playing. I dont think we should make tus even more complex if we want something for newcomers

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:31 PM »
There should be a separate promotion page. It's easy to make a subdomain like promo.tus-wa.com. You can place the most interesting info there, basic instructions, etc. And a link to tus of course :)

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Free

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Simple and effective idea Statik, and from promo page you would be directed to the most simple theme there is currently/someone can create.

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19 PM »
What about creating infographic for the promo page (showing community numbers, did you knows, explaining basics, quick tips) or at least design it as such?
They are pretty popular and what's most important they're kept in a clean, easy to follow design, perfect for newbies.

It could be interactive to link to various elements of tus etc, you get the idea.

Offline OrangE

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 05:47 PM »
good brainstorming going on here.

i'd suggest this:

a new sub-domain (great idea statik). since MI is very busy someone else can design it (who is good with web design?). i'd make a clear homepage with big images and descriptions, with every image and description linked to every WA related site like worms2d, the official t17 forum and update page, NNN, with all explained in a very clear way. a link to our streaming page and youtube channel, and with an embed video with the tutorials and some vids with immediate demonstrations, cool moves, and stuff.

we should create some subforums tho, the discussions are getting hot here and as peja told me things are starting to appear confusing for everyone. ill try to keep some order from now.

Offline Hussar

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 03:59 PM »
could be awesome to see a small object in top of page who will show when stram is going LIVE.

for example just a block with [stream: OFF]        [stream: LIVE]

and there could be link for stream channel.

Offline Bonhert

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 12:45 PM »
I'm a webdeveloper and I will code the project. If nobody here is up for designing it then I could possibly get us a webdesiger, a retired wormer and my brother - hicks, however I don't know his time schedule.

Sure we could rope slower but it's not sexy!

Offline Free

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 03:28 PM »
Ok, let's ask MI.