Forums
May 02, 2024, 01:19 PM

Author Topic: Any logical reason why someone dislikes custom terrain?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Sensei

Any logical reason why someone dislikes custom terrain?
« on: February 09, 2024, 09:17 PM »
I'm really interested in hearing this. Ofc there are good and bad custom terrains, but same goes for those ~30 game terrains that are there since '99.

Curious what's the reasoning behind refusing to play terrain just because it wasn't in the game 20+ yrs ago. Even more curious about how many of you are there?

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Any logical reason why someone dislikes custom terrain?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 09:44 PM »
I'm guessing this is due to my comments during the BnG there? If not, I've explained there.

For me though, I only dislike them from a strictly competitive perspective.

At the highest level of, pretty much any game, it's not the mechanical skills that win games, it's knowing the environment in and out perfectly.

In most sports and games, strategy and memory, knowing your environment more than your opponent, is what wins games.

I'm happy to play funners with pre-made BnG maps and also custom terrains.

The reason why I don't like it, or will ever support it, is because allowing custom terrains means anyone can make their own terrain and master it, then use this to get an advantage over their opponents.

If, as I said on stream, 1 new custom terrain was added to the game officially, that would be fine.

If you aren't at that highest level, then everything I've just said isn't really valid to you.

This entire game, and almost any other game on the planet, memorizing EVERYTHING about it is important.

So yeah, the shape of objects is something players can memorise so they can control their game better, which makes for better shots and turns from everything, which makes it more impressive.

So yes, someone like me, who used to practise teleporting on objects of the most popular terrains in BnG to find out where I have to place to get the right banks/transfers etc, is actually something that's very useful.

That's why I allow custom terrains to be played in the AoA Cup, most of the players enjoy it, and none of them have an issue against it.

As a player though, I'd never willingly ever play on them in competitive games.

Funners though! I love them!

Edit - Just to make it absolutely clear, I never ever said I don't like custom terrains in general, just prefer NOT to use them in official matches for Leagues etc(Unless it's a Cup where that's the novelty).

Also, it depends on the scheme a lot too. There are many schemes where terrain doesn't matter at all.

In BnG though, it's VERY important to master the environments.

The more there are, the longer that takes.

Neither option is bad, it's just what we value as the best kind of competitional environment.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 10:20 PM »
The reason why I don't like it, or will ever support it, is because allowing custom terrains means anyone can make their own terrain and master it, then use this to get an advantage over their opponents.

?

You realize custom terrain is same thing as any other terrain in W:A, right!?
They're generated in game. Same as -forest, fruit, time...
What are you on about with "mastering a terrain"? Haha.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 10:47 PM »
Cmon Sensei, think about it deeper... The objects are different shapes and sizes.

Sooooo... If you understood what I said...

Objects are more important in BnG than the terrain surface itself.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 12:46 AM »
So you're basically saying custom terrains are bad because you didn't have time to master them?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 01:13 AM »
So you're basically saying custom terrains are bad because you didn't have time to master them?

That's obviously not what I'm saying. :D

Offline Sensei

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 02:11 AM »
Is this the first time in last 15 years on TUS that you have no idea what you're on about?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 05:26 AM »
The funny thing is, I know exactly what I've said.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 06:26 AM »
Each new custom terrain has its own sets of objects, and each object that comes with the terrain has its own shape. It can be a big shape, a complex shape, or anything in between. But whatever or depending on the shape of the object, it can present a new obstacle to overcome. To overcome a new obstacle could take time, because you have to remember every details that requires to maneuver around it, and not to mention how you can use it with your weapons and tools. I have only mentioned object, not ''objects'', and every custom terrains has a lot of objects. Which could mean you have to spend a lot of time to learn all these Intricacies specified here. Some people may not choose to spend their time to ''master'' every objects of every custom terrains. And WA has over 60 terrains as far as I am aware of.

Though In hypothetical, I could see an argument against this could be ''If you are already an experienced WA player, you should be quite knowledgeable of the pixel structure of the game, and every Intricacies that comes with it. And a new terrain does not require to be learned.'' Of course such argument is flawed IMO. This is because of the esport players of Counter Strike 2. They must learn new maps when it becomes available for them.

But this is just conjecture of course. I personally don't like a lot of the custom terrains because they are not aesthetical pleasing to look at. Super Mario Bros 3 (brown) terrain, is quite pleasing to view and play on, contra to the Cosmic terrain. Cosmic is pretty, but noisy to play on.

If you are really passionate about custom terrains, make a new topic where people could drop their favorite terrains, and sometime later make a poll with the nominated terrains submitted by the user.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Sensei

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 12:50 PM »
Greetings newcomer!

Advice: Don't ever start playing competitive W:A! There are terrains 20+ years old and someone may have mastered them earlier than you! Apparently - it's a big deal.
There's also bunch of new terrains good people provided, since community is evolving and bringing new stuff to the game on daily basis.. but some players will refuse to play them with you! Because they didn't learn how to jump around objects properly yet. That fkn community and their new fancy terrains.. Goddamit!

Welcome to elitist part of W:A, enjoy your stay!

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • UC UC clan

• Might come back later idk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 05:37 PM »
i can definitely see how people that take the game competitively might complain about new terrains, for the reasons people have explained above. it takes a lot of time to understand and get even the smallest stuff right (like jumping, or the way you can bounce your grenades). but, at the same time, i don't think any of the active players or active leagues (namely TUS) is at that point of competitive gameplay anymore.
i think adapting to new environments is a great skill, even more valuable than getting used to play on the same terrains over and over again, or even repetitive stuff like notching. i would have grown tired of the game way earlier!! and, if you wanna take an example from other games, league of legends drastically changed the map they had been using for years, despite the highly competitive scene there is. it's time to shake things up a little bit, isn't it?
by the way, how many people have complained about it? i really doubt its a lot, right?
Mole shopper is the worst thing in the world.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2024, 05:57 PM »
>> Any logical reason why someone dislikes custom terrain?

Well, Dario didn't complain about the objects but more about the grass, which on some terrains is too smooth and knocks in intermediate are done easier.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2024, 09:03 PM »
Custom terrains are not part of the official game.

That's the only reason you even need.

Sensei, honestly you are such a toxic person.

You ask people to give you a reason. Then even when you don't understand it properly or agree with it, you just insult people.

Every time, on TUS history your comment history is full of insulting people for stuff like this.

Man I wish even a few of you were more serious about this game. Maybe we could achieve something good together.

All I ever do is f@#!ing help this community and get insulted for it.

Sensei I will never help you with anything again if you ever need it.

What's really sad though is you've have zero indication that you even know what people don't like about it.

To be fair though. You are a pretty casual player so don't blame you for not understanding.

It's not like I'm trying to stop YOU from using them! All I've done is said that I wouldn't do it and why...

Offline Kradie

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2024, 09:53 PM »
We should seek solidarity Instead of this bickering back and forth. It would favor the Worms Armageddon community greatly.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Sensei

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2024, 12:53 AM »
Man I wish even a few of you were more serious about this game. Maybe we could achieve something good together.

Damn man.. I wish that as well.. Although, new things wouldn't be part of the official game, right? :)

I'm quite amused you managed to turn this topic into story about yourself again.
Thanks for calling me casual, you big old professional wormer! I do hope you'll learn how to notch on few more terrains, rather than -forest...

@kory - yeah, lot of them have smooth grass and roofs. I guess that's easily changed by terrain maker, if needed.

EDIT: @gab - that was my point... If you think you're a good player, but will cry if someone happens to change your good old '99 object and can't adapt to that.. Are you really that good then!?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 01:01 AM by Sensei »