Forums
May 12, 2024, 03:36 AM

Author Topic: Can't we just donate to make 4.0 come faster?  (Read 8400 times)

Offline WTF-8

Re: Can't we just donate to make 4.0 come faster?
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2016, 03:11 PM »
What if nobody is willing to finish the game? Would a replay be locked forever?
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2016, 03:30 PM »
What if nobody is willing to finish the game? Would a replay be locked forever?

Hmm, thats a good question too.
Well, code those replays only which is related with TUS schemes, cups etc. xd
Like if you choose to play serious league game, then that scheme should have special extension.

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline Triad

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2016, 04:22 PM »
Resuming game from a replay might allow some cheats. Like resume from replay till you got best results. Best option is being able to wait or leave when someone drops. We can add a TUS rule like wait your opponent for 5 mins and if he doesn't show up you can choose to report.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2016, 05:06 PM »
5 minutes may be not enough in a few cases
but again, give too much time and enjoy players "disconnecting" just to annoy their opponents
>_<
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Peja

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Resuming game from a replay might allow some cheats. Like resume from replay till you got best results. Best option is being able to wait or leave when someone drops. We can add a TUS rule like wait your opponent for 5 mins and if he doesn't show up you can choose to report.

it already exists   :D

If a player lags out and is not seen online 10 minutes later, then the game is taken care of by the following rules:
If it was the first game, then the game should not be reported, rather played at another time.
If it was the second game and the loser of the first game was seemingly losing the second game too, it can be reported. At any other occasion the moderators will decide about the outcome of the game, after it is posted to the forum's League Complaints section.

VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline skunk3

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2016, 05:48 PM »
I know that I'd personally donate at least $100 if that would in any way help out with us getting a substantial W:A update. At this point I have pretty much given up all hope of it ever happening. I would love to be proven wrong though. I don't play league / clan games anymore, so the disconnection issue isn't really an issue for me. Besides, I hardly ever see people drop these days now that it's no longer 1999 and we aren't on dial-up.

For the meantime I will be eagerly looking forward to Worms W.M.D. but I would plop down some serious cash for a huge W:A update. $500 easily.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2016, 08:34 PM »
I could afford to donate $100 - wish I could donate more but that's just reality at the moment. Wish we could somehow organize a mass donation drive. The core Worms audience is old enough now to have credit cards and stuff.

Regarding disconnects, I've used enough sketchy wireless connections to know that it is still very much an issue. When you're near the limit of distance from the router, it can be working great for most of the game, and then all of a sudden disconnect. Not everyone lives in downtown San Francisco with Google Fiber. This game is more and more expanding to international audiences where they are less endowed with big speeds and stable dedicated connections.

Disconnect support wouldn't just help for tus/clanner games. When you've invested 40 minutes into a funner, you've got all your worms positioned where you want them, finally established domination and some good crates, it's quite a blueballing experience to suddenly drop.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2016, 06:36 PM »
IMO if you're playing a game that was originally made to play via dial-up and you're still experiencing issues with disconnects, the problem is who you're playing with... or your own connection. Worms doesn't take much bandwidth to play without lag or dropouts. I know the reasons why people want to have this disconnect issue fixed, but ffs, just get better internet. I don't even wanna play vs. someone who has shit internet and will constantly be lagging or dropping from games. I can see how being able to continue the matches will be great for some people, but I don't play leagues (I'm considering doing so, though...) and if someone drops in a funner I just say "oh well, I win." Mostly for being white and living in 'Merica.

(j/k)

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2016, 08:21 PM »
If you're mooching wifi off the neighbours, or tethering data off your phone, worms is basically the only game you can play. Plus it's one of the easiest to pirate. Except it drops all the time. I've definitely been there. I guarantee not every household in India or China or whatever country W:A's next big activity explosion will be from has their own legitimate $40/month (in rupees or equivalent china dollars) internet subscription. Furthermore, internet connections are getting worse. Everyone is going mobile. There is a big wave of "cord cutting" for dedicated Internet connections in progress - why pay for both cell data and home internet access? People hardly buy laptops and desktops anymore. All the new mobile devices will be able to dual boot windows and android. Wine for android is coming too. WA will be played primarily on tablets with shitty little keyboard docks. Or at least tethered from mobile phones. Which, for the sake of the game surviving and growing, is probably a necessary evil.

I suspect W:A's current "lag" code does a lot more waiting than it needs to. If there was proper reconnection support, I doubt we'd still have those suspenseful 3 minute waits of lag. BTW there's always wkCyrusKick to get rid of annoying/lagging players.

It takes one disconnected player to ruin a game. You ever hear that statistic, that in a room of 20 people, there's a 50 percent chance two of them share a birthday? In a game of 4 or 6 players from all over the world there's a pretty good chance something bad will happen. I've disconnected from enough Worms games for a lifetime. Reconnect support is one of my most anticipated features.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2016, 08:41 PM »
on an offtopic note,
wkCyrusKick
Is that a brand new module, or just a misspelled wkCinusKick (which is outdated anyway)?

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Misspelled.. I don't use it obviously :P

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2016, 10:31 PM »
Thought i explained it good. I meant that a phone is a more basic necessity than internet. A lot of people use their 3g phone data for everything instead of paying for both a home internet connection and cell phone data. A lot of the world doesn't own a computer but $30 tablets are becoming common in India and stuff.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2016, 01:16 AM »
Yeah, I don't see traditional internet service or desktops/laptops going anywhere.

I guess I'm lucky because I haven't dealt with any major lag issues in quite some time. Then again, I rarely if ever play with random people. Most of the people I play with have decent connections and devices... except for Pizzasheet of course.

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2016, 05:41 AM »
Yeah, I don't see traditional internet service or desktops/laptops going anywhere.

I guess I'm lucky because I haven't dealt with any major lag issues in quite some time. Then again, I rarely if ever play with random people. Most of the people I play with have decent connections and devices... except for Pizzasheet of course.
Pizzasheet's modem is made of wood  :D

Offline raffie

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2016, 09:24 AM »
I would like to take this opportunity again to get the attention of all to let you know that in essence, W:A 5.0 has been out since 2011 in the form of Project-X and that if 4.0 were to be conceived, it would make current WormNet inaccessable and thus be the end for Project-X. This would be a major step backward in the possibilities that W:A has today.

If anything, don't donate for this major step backward, but donate to revive Project-X core development to retain current W:A versions compatibility as well as make it more safe and user friendly!

(PS: I also believe it to be a more realistic goal)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:32 AM by raffie »