Forums
April 26, 2024, 04:51 AM

Author Topic: Current status of the League  (Read 17951 times)

Offline Sbaffo

Re: Current status of the League
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I know it's not really league related what im gonna say, but we had eac previously, why don't we make something like that but based on tus classic?

I was actually planning to host a cup similar to previous Elite Winter Cup but with 5 schemes.. "Allround Summer Cup" :) Last time we had +100$ prize pool.

No buy-in? Completely free?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 03:40 PM »
That's nice but cmon...

Instead of focusing what we can do for the remaining players, we should be thinking what we can do to entice other players!

Face it, we are a lost civilization, we're finished, our glorious ERA is over, we need to start from the beginning, start fresh, build something new!

Offline Senator

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 03:59 PM »
If you are going to make a league for new players, you can cut Elite and Hysteria.. People don't play those schemes on WormNet so why would they be interested? :-[

No buy-in? Completely free?

Yeah no buy-in and anyone can play. Last time we got donations.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 04:13 PM »
If there are ppl that are eager to donate some money to get this community started, isn't it better to look on a long(er) term solution and instead of cup/tournaments - invest money in 1 league season?

I don't dig most of the schemes from ex classic league and don't have knowledge to get in first few spots even if tryhard, but would surely chip in some money to get competitivity going.

Offline HHC

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 04:32 PM »
If you are going to make a league for new players, you can cut Elite and Hysteria.. People don't play those schemes on WormNet so why would they be interested? :-[

Hysteria too?? That was the most pop when I left.

Which schemes then? Shopper and moleshopper? Inter?

Offline Senator

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Yeah those 3 + supersheeper

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 04:49 PM »
I always see Hysterias hosted in AG, I see Elites and Intermediates hosted now and again as well.

I said the most popular schemes that collectively most people who play Worms Armageddon, not limited to just old schoolers, all would probably agree are fun and league worthy.

I see shoppers the most, that includes all variations, mole, normal, wxw, but cmon shoppers are too noob, mole shoppers, I don't need to explain that if you've followed TUS the past few weeks, and WxW, WxW is ok, but still people tend to favour Big RR more than the other rope schemes.

So we invest our time and money on 1 season, that only a few obvious people are gonna have a chance of winning, to everyone else it's waste of time, they either don't have a chance to win, they absolutely suck and don't feel worthy enough, or they just find most schemes boring.

Competitive Worms is like real life, the gap between the rich and poor, good and bad, just gets bigger and bigger.

Am I wrong?

Offline HHC

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Competitive Worms is like real life, the gap between the rich and poor, good and bad, just gets bigger and bigger.

Am I wrong?

Well it sure is gonna be that way if you call the schemes you play Elite and league-worthy and discard every new scheme as noob and not fit for any kind of skill contest/comparison.

It would be a lot closer if you took the fight to their home ground.

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 06:00 PM »

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 06:10 PM »

Am I wrong?

Well it sure is gonna be that way if you call the schemes you play Elite and league-worthy and discard every new scheme as noob and not fit for any kind of skill contest/comparison.

It would be a lot closer if you took the fight to their home ground.

Apart from Elite-Intermediate, the other schemes I mentioned are fairly new in comparison, Big RR, Hysteria, Aerial, WxW, Hyst and WxW like 10 years or something, but Big RR and WxW are the newest, it's better than sticking to Roper/BnG/Team17 etc.

I didn't include Mole Shopper, because it's incredibly boring to many players just as BnG/Darts etc.

If you think about it, ignore the selection of schemes and their age, but think about how they play out.

The ones I mentioned have an average game time of 10-20 minutes, apart from Intermediate because it's 3 rounds, but it's a popular enough scheme to handle that.

They aren't hard to understand/learn so newer players can get into them easier than other schemes, and at the highest level they are very competitive and deserving.

I mentioned those specific schemes based on every reason I could think of for someone wanting to play the league.

So there is a rope scheme, a strategic scheme, and an artillery scheme.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2018, 06:38 PM »
For once, I would agree with komo.
Big rr is logical choice considering so much players getting addicted to rope and this scheme in particular last few years. Also there's quite bigger chance for guys like dibz, sbaffo, ryan to actually lose rope battle.

hyst/aerial - for sure aerial. Especially cause you wanna attract newer players. And let's be honest. Hyst is pure bullshit.

Elite/inter - whatever you choose to put in league, players would adapt easily cause it's wa basics. Skill will come eventually.

That's enough for competitive league.

Removing scheme picking could be a thing too. All play all, when you agree on TUS. Or mutual choice on 1 scheme.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:42 PM by Sensei »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2018, 06:50 PM »
THAT is a great idea Sensei!

If we had only 3 schemes, when you agree to play TUS you agree to play every scheme once.

That's f@#!ing brilliant, on average you could still play all games in about an hour, and for people who say they don't have time, just allow them to pick 1 each if they want, or agree on 1, but if they play again, they must play the other remaining schemes, before starting again.

That way, you literally can't noob bash the same player over and over in 1 scheme.

Personally i'd vote for Big RR / Hysteria / Elite, but i'm happy to learn Aerial if it was the only artillery scheme to focus on and became popular, I vote Elite as well but would happily stick to Intermediate if that was the vote.

As long as I can focus on 1 scheme of each variation, I think that would be pretty cool for a lot of people, we could still have individual rankings for those schemes and an all-round ranking :)

Offline skunk3

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Personally I like hysteria much more than aerial. I've played aerial about a dozen times total and I can't understand why anyone prefers it over hyst. The most commonly-hosted schemes that I've seen in AG are intermediate, shopper, mole, wxw, big bna, etc. I never see certain schemes hosted anymore, like tower, battle race, elite, bng, wfw, ctf, forts, golf, and so on.

Anyway, all this hypothesizing about starting up new leagues and whatnot is fine but as I said before, if you guys really want to pull something like this off, you have to start being more active and also spend time in AG spamming a bit with info about tourneys/cups/leagues/etc so that these newer players are actually aware of what is going on. Anything with a buy-in is probably going to be a non-starter. Most of the people who play this game didn't even pay for it, so I highly doubt they are going to want to gamble real money, especially super noobs. Free events are going to be significantly more popular.

I agree with Senator in that we should cater to these newer players first and foremost. If they like shit schemes, so be it. Eventually they will get better and learn to appreciate other schemes. That said, I just don't see W:A ever being as active/competitive as it used to be no matter what is tried. The only way anything is going to work is if old schoolers become active again. "be the change you want to see in the world" and all that.

Offline sock

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35 PM »
I think that if we want the league to continue and grow as a community we need to keep a steady pace of mole shoppers and intermediates. A long with a few shoppers here and there.

Offline Sbaffo

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2018, 09:24 PM »
big rr is a cool alternative to ttrr, i've been actually enjoying it lately, i'd add shopper as well cuz people play it