Forums
April 26, 2024, 09:29 AM

Poll

Would you play a scheme with speedy rope?

Yes
10 (52.6%)
No
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Let's talk about the ninja rope  (Read 3895 times)

Re: Let's talk about the ninja rope
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2020, 02:23 PM »
I am trying out the new rope now and it might be my imagination but it feels like latency is worse now than it was before. The animations themselves look smoother but I noticed that I am falling a lot more than usual.
Hey skunk3, that might be three things together, each with its own influence:
1) Disable Vsync. It adds input latency by definition: the game waits until the next logic frame to process input. This is single handedly the most signifficant source of input lag and roping unresponsiveness.
2) Your 50FPS-conditioned timing needs adjustment. But it's very easy to pick up, once you relax and let your brain get used to the extra ms the game allows you to send input. After that, going back to 50 rendered frames per second will feel horrible, guaranteed. :)
3) If your monitor refresh rate is much higher than 60Hz, roping will feel not just smoother but also much more sensitive to input. Again, see 1).

Alternatively to 1): enable assisted vsync (if you're using the Direct3D renderer), and compare roping in it vs roping with No Vsync. No Vsync will let W:A use all CPU and GPU resources it can take, so be aware. Assisted vsync should strike a balance between both worlds but needs some tweaking to get right, by editing the registry. The readme has more information, but I'm willing to explain more if anyone wants to.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 12:07 AM »
Without v-sync enabled I get horrible screen lag. I think that this is because I use a 1080p television as a monitor connected to my laptop via HDMI. I've always had v-sync enabled before and it never gave me issues. All I know is that ever since the update, roping has felt weird. I'm falling a lot more than I normally do and I can't scroll worth a crap. Worms feel 'heavier' somehow too. The game does look smoother overall animation-wise but I guess I'm just having trouble adapting to the update. I'm struggling!

Offline LilScrappy94

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 05:35 AM »
Try x1.18 speed, your worms will feel in shape like a triathlon athlete

Offline Kradie

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 08:32 AM »
Without v-sync enabled I get horrible screen lag. I think that this is because I use a 1080p television as a monitor connected to my laptop via HDMI. I've always had v-sync enabled before and it never gave me issues. All I know is that ever since the update, roping has felt weird. I'm falling a lot more than I normally do and I can't scroll worth a crap. Worms feel 'heavier' somehow too. The game does look smoother overall animation-wise but I guess I'm just having trouble adapting to the update. I'm struggling!
You can also try ''unrestricted rope'' it reduces friction and drag. It really makes the rope more speedy. Takes some time to get used to.
You can also try x1.18 speed combined with ''unrestricted rope''. I have mastered both of these options, and so should any experienced roper be able to, at least those I have played with.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline LilScrappy94

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2020, 12:41 PM »
Changing only game speed multiplicator = Same roping
Changing anything else = New roping

Offline Kradie

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2020, 12:45 PM »
Changing only game speed multiplicator = Same roping
Changing anything else = New roping
In combination imo, faster, and requires more skills for maneuvering, control, to tricks and so on.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2020, 08:59 PM »
what is the refresh rate on the television?  that makes a massive difference.  if its 60hz its not fit for roping.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2020, 10:40 PM »
what is the refresh rate on the television?  that makes a massive difference.  if its 60hz its not fit for roping.

Don't think 60/100/120 hz would make any difference. Only masochist or old ppl could rope using TV.
Don't even want to imagine input delay on that thing. Let's hope skunk3 is just getting old.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2020, 03:16 AM »
Make sure the TV itself doesn't have its own motion smoothing crap enabled. That'll cause input lag if it's on.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2020, 05:35 AM »
I have no idea what the refresh rate is on the TV. I don't really care too much because these days I don't do much gaming, and most of the gaming I DO partake in is fairly slow paced and not graphically intensive. I just use HDMI to connect to my TV because a 42" screen is a hell of a lot easier on my eyes than a 17" laptop screen. I haven't had any issues with latency until the update. Now I have other issues but I think it's unrelated to all of this.