Forums
May 15, 2024, 03:13 AM

Author Topic: Roping without delay!!! MOTHER OF GOD  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Rabbzz

Re: Roping without delay!!! MOTHER OF GOD
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 12:58 AM »
My FPS is 1300+ with vsync off.  I think I might have experienced some lags though, I can't verify it because it might be my wireless keyboard.  For example, I press space bar and the rope shot fires 1 second later.

I used to have the same problems with a wireless keyboard.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 03:41 AM »
I bet many ropers have missed their potential because they roped in gimped VSync Mode. :D

Vsync works better tho for most people.

It's just eye candy though, it's fluent yes, and has no screen tearing, but it adds delay which is poison to roping. You need crisp response times. I play all games with Vsync off so I don't see it anymore except I focus on seeing it. Compare it with FPS games, you will not find any pro CS GO player that plays with Vsync, it adds delay to mouse movement. For fast computer games always turn off Vsync is my advice. If you can live with it though, more power to you. Nobody stops you. :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Yeah, I use the following:
No vsync
No assisted vsync
Direct 3d shader

I am pretty sure it is easier for me because I can rope more intricately but it is overall hard to tell because my RR level in general has dropped.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 08:26 AM »
It's just eye candy though, it's fluent yes, and has no screen tearing, but it adds delay which is poison to roping. You need crisp response times.

Then howcome it makes absolutely no difference in my speed with it on or off? And I can still rope faster than most people yet i've lost so much timing/reaction speed since around 2000-2003 era...

I am not doubting you, I just really don't understand this shit...

Offline Godmax

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 09:42 AM »
Its the fps! If you have 60 or maybe 50+constantly then there usually is no delay problem. If you got a shit pc with under 45fps you will get a super shitty feeling thats true and thats in any game. Vsync is sth. for men only with the right tools.

Offline Senator

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Then howcome it makes absolutely no difference in my speed with it on or off? And I can still rope faster than most people yet i've lost so much timing/reaction speed since around 2000-2003 era...

You can rope fast with vsync on, it's just awkward to control. Maybe that explains why u have lost your timing ;D You should be able see the difference even in menus when u move your mouse.

If u can't see any difference, that means you have vsync forced on/off in graphic card settings or u have a weird computer :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:15 AM by Senator »

Offline Godmax

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Another possibility is that you reach 100 or more fps in Worms with your pc. Activating vsync gives you 60fps max then. Might feel slower for you as well. Nevertheless a clean 60fps and vsync on is never a bad idea. Unless you got a 120hz or more monitor by your side and you want more than 60. Is there a special vsync option for 120fps?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:03 AM by Godmax »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 10:12 AM »
Ok then here is a better question, what is the best way to emulate WA as if I were playing it in the year 2002?

Offline Kradie

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2016, 10:46 AM »
I bet many ropers have missed their potential because they roped in gimped VSync Mode. :D

Not true, not documented, nor facts, but purely opinion stated by people in this thread. 

Although, kudos to Anubis for his presentation.

I tried to screen record myself roping last night, my FPS dropped down to 350, and only then I witnessed occasional screen tears.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2016, 11:08 AM »

Not true, not documented, nor facts, but purely opinion stated by people in this thread.

I was talking about people in this thread, and I am right, generally Vsync on is better for most of them, based on their hardware at least.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2016, 01:14 PM »
Ok then here is a better question, what is the best way to emulate WA as if I were playing it in the year 2002?

W:A at release and prior to replays patch used DX7 and/or DirectDraw depending if your graphics card could support DX7. You remember when installing W:A from cd it asked you to install Dx7? Vsync at that time was not very common and Vsync on/off was not an option to choose. At the time we used to warm, Komo, we did not have Vsync it wasn't even an option. I remember W:A prior to DX9 and Vsync to be like DirectDraw 32, no delay but not very smooth animation, it was capped at 30 FPS (I think). I found plenty evidence of Vsync causing input lag, from many sites and debug programs that can show it, for example:

Basically the mouse cursor should be in the top left of the blue square, if it isnt you can see the input lag.

DirectX 9 Results:
----------------------
FullScreen - No Fixes: Huge lag : 62 FPS
FullScreen - DX9 Fix : Slight lag: 62 FPS
FullScreen - Grab Pixel Fix: Slight lag: 40FPS

Window - No Fixes: Slight lag : 62 FPS
Window - DX9 Fix : Slight lag: 62 FPS
Window - Grab Pixel Fix: Slight lag: 62FPS

DirectX 7 Results:
----------------------
FullScreen - No Fixes: Slight lag : 62 FPS
FullScreen - DX9 Fix : Slight lag: 62 FPS
FullScreen - Grab Pixel Fix: Slight lag: 62FPS

Window - No Fixes: No lag : 62 FPS
Window - DX9 Fix : No lag: 62 FPS
Window - Grab Pixel Fix: No lag: 62FPS

It seems DX9 causes a lot of issues with input lag and even DX7 seems to do so when not in Window mode. If you want to go back in time use DX7 without Vsync or DirectDraw 32 or 8 and relive what it was like to rope back then. :)

Edit: Except I am not sure if W:A emulates the 30 FPS cap when not in DX9 mode.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:18 PM by Anubis »

Offline Godmax

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2016, 01:20 PM »
Worms and roping is like a wet fart/joke anyway. Some play with vsync and 60fps others without and 1000fps then we got the keyboard whores with their doublekeys and speedkeys and the hacks and shit ofc pluz different monitors and solutions and still some whores think they are just ropegods and f@#! the smaller ropeamateurs. I dont like it. Ive tried to form the amateurs during max scheme but so far not much success.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2016, 02:24 PM »
Interesting comparison you make there...

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Interesting comparison you make there...
I love how our worms community has a semblance of reality to it, there are leaders, people that everyone respects their opinion, idiots, and finally, crazy hobos that go around muttering to themselves about crazy shit that no one really takes seriously.  Godmax is one of those people. 

Offline Husk

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2016, 05:17 AM »
godmax can I have ur babies