Forums
April 30, 2024, 07:42 AM

Author Topic: Wormnet moderation  (Read 2182 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Wormnet moderation
« on: April 02, 2024, 01:48 PM »
plz make the possibility of registrating nicknames with passwords and a login system bridge to wormnet.. linked and possibly in connection with the TUS site, or a discord server. with the toxic trolls gone, that would also improve the environment alltogether

Agreed... That, and proper moderation of WormNET to create a safer environment for young people who would otherwise be pushed away by negativity and toxicity.

I've lost count of the amount of people who told me they stopped playing due to racism, homophobia and bigotry on WormNET.

Even had someone impersonate Sensei recently joining a live streamed Cup match using racist words, we knew it wasn't Sensei though.

Offline raffie

Re: Wormnet moderation
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 04:10 PM »
Agreed... That, and proper moderation of WormNET to create a safer environment for young people who would otherwise be pushed away by negativity and toxicity.

I've lost count of the amount of people who told me they stopped playing due to racism, homophobia and bigotry on WormNET.

Even had someone impersonate Sensei recently joining a live streamed Cup match using racist words, we knew it wasn't Sensei though.

Bad idea IMO, people who can't cope with a few no-no words on a computer screen are the ones who create a toxic environment is what we all should have learned these last few years. If you're gonna start banning people from playing WA because they said something whoever the moderator is finds offensive, I think we're gonna lose a lot of wormers, entirely possible I could be banned too, after 20 years of playing. It always begins with the magic words "racism", "homophobia", w/e stuff like that. Before you know it you get banned for "misgendering" some tranny.
Add the option to mute anyone you want in WormNet, problem solved IMO.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 04:20 PM »
Bad idea IMO, people who can't cope with a few no-no words on a computer screen are the ones who create a toxic environment is what we all should have learned these last few years. If you're gonna start banning people from playing WA because they said something whoever the moderator is finds offensive, I think we're gonna lose a lot of wormers, entirely possible I could be banned too, after 20 years of playing. It always begins with the magic words "racism", "homophobia", w/e stuff like that. Before you know it you get banned for "misgendering" some tranny.

First of all... It's not just "a few no-no words on a computer screen".

For every idiot who thinks it's a good idea to bully other people... You know with a great deal of confidence they have either been bullied themselves, nobody likes them and they are lonely, or they delusionally believe they are cool, and will get a wake up call in 20 years when they are living alone with no partner, no children, no friends, nobody who respects them.

The sheer delusional state of clownship for someone to say it's the people who don't like being treated negatively by toxic people that are toxic people. That's all shocking, delusional and hilarious.

Honestly, if we "lost a lot of wormers" if we started to ban people for being racist, homophobic, transphobic etc, I'd say good riddance to them, if only we could get rid of them off the face of the Earth entirely then we'd be cooking with gas.

Anyway, I've had countless people confide in me, sharing their experiences, especially a number of women who thanks to a few specific people they don't even play anymore.

It's not just an opinion, it's a fact, it's one of the big reasons why this game doesn't have "nicer" people playing, and a HUGE deterrent to younger players because of the toxic environment with so many males who take it upon themselves to harass and abuse other people in a written verbal manner.

Like it or not, more and more people don't like bullies, more than ever bullies get put in their place, more than ever bullies are losing their power, this is a good thing, not a bad thing.

The point is, if you like this game, and you like having interesting people to play with, then you aren't helping by being a toxic clown.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 04:27 PM »
I agree with this 100%. We have enough censorship elsewhere in the world, there is no need to bring that police state to Worms Armageddon. People who advocate for censorship don't love free speech.

If you don't like someone, their values and opinions, you can Ignore and avoid them. WormNET should have filters though. I have a large list of toxic player I have on my personal Ignore list. If I was admin on WormNET, I would not ban them. We should not even encourage this as well. People with common sense would know who to avoid and I would suspect most people on WormNET have common sense. Only the minority are the losing party if we Ignore them. Otherwise we will have people who calls for extreme policies to be made because of the bad actors, who are the minority.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 05:06 PM »
It's not a surprise that toxic people don't like censorship lol.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 05:34 PM »
It's not a surprise that toxic people don't like censorship lol.
Free speech does also have hate speech in it.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 12:37 PM by Kradie »

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 06:35 PM »
If you support free speech, then you support hate speech. It's simple as that.

So, you support hate. Disgusting human being.
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • UC UC clan

• Might come back later idk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 06:36 PM »
so i think W:A had some sort of moderation, i used to join the IRC chat to report impersonators and spammers and there were some people kind of "there", but apparently it was too hard to stop the people from just getting another IP and starting stuff again. this doesn't mean we shouldn't have moderation but it won't solve all of the problems.
If you support free speech, then you support hate speech. It's simple as that.

you know what's tyranny? forcing most people to deal with impersonators, spammers, people like Rafal. at some point there was a group of argentinians playing this game, they even promoted a chilean hate youtube channel where they basically praised any event where chileans were killed, including earthquakes. if "freedom of speech" means i have to deal with people like these then i'm not quite sure if i agree with it.
Mole shopper is the worst thing in the world.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 06:57 PM »
you know what's tyranny? forcing most people to deal with impersonators, spammers, people like Rafal. at some point there was a group of argentinians playing this game, they even promoted a chilean hate youtube channel where they basically praised any event where chileans were killed, including earthquakes. if "freedom of speech" means i have to deal with people like these then i'm not quite sure if i agree with it.
That's both disgusting and horrible, I think most people can agree to that. Freedom of speech imo, should be punished by Individual pursuit, not by police state apparatus. Because once you set a rule, you have stifled free speech, and eventually you or anybody else could be motivated to propose to move the goal post even further by adding more rules. Eventually people will be walking on eggshells, because they would not know what constitute an acceptable speech, and opinion. I don't think we would want such society. We may already be feeling it outside of Worms.

You may disagree to the most heinous of opinion, but you have the power to Ignore it, or fight it.

Offline Sbaffo

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 07:00 PM »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 11:35 PM »
so i think W:A had some sort of moderation, i used to join the IRC chat to report impersonators and spammers and there were some people kind of "there", but apparently it was too hard to stop the people from just getting another IP and starting stuff again. this doesn't mean we shouldn't have moderation but it won't solve all of the problems.

Yeah that's the problem, the bans are temporary bans as well.

Everything needs moderation, everything needs balance... Like it's ok to drink alcohol in moderation as well, doesn't just apply to "law".

Moderation doesn't even inherently oppose freedom, it's actually quite the opposite... Creating an environment where people respect and tolerate each other so they can feel "free" to do things they enjoy doing without worrying about people trying to kill them or judge them in a malicious way for just being nice and trying to have fun playing a video game in a safe environment lol.

Yeah, "freedom of speech" is impossible, and usually whenever I see anybody get obsessed with being against "censorship" and promoting "freedom of speech" it's usually related to something malicious or actual hatred.

Because honestly... Most people are pretty cool if you accept them for who they are and treat them like another chill person, even ripping on each other for fun lol.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2024, 12:06 AM »
Yeah, "freedom of speech" is impossible, and usually whenever I see anybody get obsessed with being against "censorship" and promoting "freedom of speech" it's usually related to something malicious or actual hatred.
Well that's your opinion of course. I stand completely opposite here. People who advocates for censorship are usual evil people.

The question is, what do you want to censor? What words and phrases do you want to be censored? And who? Is it a person who has expressed their opinion on a political and Ideological belief? Someone who doesn't align with your world view? Someone who uses words that YOU find offensive? Or perhaps you want to censor and ban your everyday troll who purses Innocent players and disrupts their everyday activity here on WA? I don't think this is enough reason alone to commit any actions against. The perpetrators take responsibility when they commit atrocities in our society. We as a society here on WA and as such we should also take responsibility individually of our action. In real life, these people would be serious hurt though.

Sob stories, and emotional blackmail should not be catalyst for censorship.- Censorship and bans should be very limited, to a small group of people: Pedophiles and Terrorists. But to ban someone who called you out for whatever reason? Or to ban someone you had a random dispute about whatever? No way. If someone said something you don't like, get over it, it is life. We are not a nanny nor a police state, and we shouldn't be. All good people normally don't associate themselves with toxic people. You just have to use common sense and avoid the trash that is out there. This is why I think filter option would be great for WA.

You should not obsess about a random Insult given by a random person online. Because that random person doesn't mean anything to your life. Only the people you made good friends with. These are the people that matters, their words matter more than a random person's words.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2024, 12:29 AM »
Well that's your opinion of course. I stand completely opposite here. People who advocates for censorship are usual evil people.

That's not an opinion it's a universal fact lol.

Look at the google result you get when you type in "Freedom of speech". "Freedom of speech is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or a community to articulate their opinions and ideas without fear of retaliation, censorship, or legal sanction." In order to have "freedom of speech" you're stripping away another persons rights to express themselves, and if that expression is to shut you up, or punch you in the face, then checkmate.

You cannot have freedom of speech because there are literal consequences to every single word you think, write, speak, or say in any other form of communication or existence. Nothing in life is "free" because at the very least it costs us time and process, cause and effect.

Freedom of speech is more about protecting minorities to make them feel more like part of humanity, instead of outcasts.

You should not obsess about a random Insult given by a random person online. Because that random person doesn't mean anything to your life. Only the people you made good friends with. These are the people that matters, their words matter more than a random person's words.

If you were to take your own advice, you wouldn't be even having this conversation.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2024, 12:55 AM »
This is still your opinion and it is recognized as such.

Freedom of speech is not about protecting minority. ''Minorities are about choking freedom of speech.'' Helpful idiots, and people who speaks for minority's sake, are those who forces the majority on their knees. This cripples the society and makes it gradually fall.

You cannot have freedom of speech because there are literal consequences to every single word you think, write, speak, or say in any other form of communication or existence. Nothing in life is "free" because at the very least it costs us time and process, cause and effect.
You always have a choice, and each choice may have a repercussion to it which is something that YOU are responsible of. People will always have a choice. So if you start to restrict freedom of speech, movement, what have you, people would not want to face consequence. Perhaps that's your point? Well obviously, it is just human. As I mentioned earlier, restricting freedom of speech is a slippery slope, eventually you will have a police state.  I am just advocating that people should be responsible of their own actions and face the music of it, and not have big brother executing judgment.

If you were to take your own advice, you wouldn't be even having this conversation.
This conversation matters to me, and everyone else who loves freedom in general. What you are endorsing here is evil. I do not wish for such full measure on WormNET. So I am here to speak out for people to read and come with their own conclusion.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2024, 06:59 AM »
Freedom of speech is defined within a community/society. Freedom of speech in a country is different than WormNET. You must first define what your target community is about and help it to grow in that direction. You can't use your prescription for real life society for WormNET as well.

WormNET is about W:A and activity of W:A. Basically the community of W:A players who want to enjoy the game together. You have age range roughly 10 to 50.

- Does it help your community to talk about right/left political agendas? (in society: YES, in WormNET: NO)
- Does it help to talk about Hitler? (in society: YES, in WormNET: NO)
- Does it help to talk about religion? (in society: YES, in WormNET: NO)

People tend to leave your community when they don't like its atmosphere. It is not about growing a pair and being tough. It's not about ignoring what you don't like. TRUST ME! I've ran this show for 15+ years. People have left the community in front of my eyes. Many of those who left were not even the target of some beef. They just didn't like the atmosphere of people pulling each other's hair.

- DarkOne was one of them. He was a GEM! He said he got frustrated with certain behaviors and one day he was fed up and done.
- Peja left for a long long time. His quitting reasons had NOTHING to do with W:A itself but over some toxic discussions and me failing to realize absolute freedom of speech eventually contradicts itself. (yes TUS had a high degree of freedom of speech in the past)
- Gabriel left the game on and off. Luckily he's still with us, but look:
oh my god now i remember why i stopped playing this game
it was better when you could just chill with random players in the lobby and meet cool, interesting, and most importantly, humble people. you're just a bunch of conflictive and narcissistic fossils now

and these examples are known wormers. There are newcomers who won't bother and boy we have lots of cringe worthy beefs. WormNET moderation is a MUST and its sole purpose should be to keep a friendly atmosphere. We don't want to be an ancient mysterious game like Jumanji. We want new blood and a safe/cozy WormNET is the way to go.

p.s
Freedom of speech is like a farm. You have chicken, duck, geese, cows, donkeys, horses, pigs... and the farmer. They tolerate each other and the farm functions.
Absolute 100% freedom of speech is like introducing a few cobras in that farm. (The cobras will make all the animals stronger and they build character... oh and the farm produces twice as much.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 08:28 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.