Forums
May 07, 2024, 07:36 AM

Author Topic: Just got a Wii U  (Read 7590 times)

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
Re: Just got a Wii U
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2016, 09:06 AM »
My bro had about 7 games on his before he ran out of space lol. I must have about 40 games installed on my PS3 and i dont think im even close.

This is done to cut loading times. They would be terrible without installed data.

But 7 games? Really? Pretty amazing feat, did he get 20 DLCs per game or something? Also, this isn't a PS4 thing, it's progress, you'll be installing everything not long from here.

Donkey Kong saga in the snes was one of my favorites games ever, at the time. Now, in retrospect, it's pretty shitty, gameplay wise, even for the time.

Quote from: TheKomodo
Tbh the only good game i've seen for PS4/Xbox One

GTA V, Witcher 3, Last of Us Remaster, Uncharted 4, MGS 4, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3, Overwatch, Dragon Age Inquisition. Oh, and let us not forget, Blood f@#!ing borne. Only for the PS4 and candidate for game of the year every year until this year. FIFA, PES, NBA2K, F1, UFC. Can't do sports on nintendo either.

I play those games in PC, of course. The PC is the best console in all aspects, all things considered and no exceptions. But there has to be a second best after the Windows machine.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:54 AM by TheKomodo »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2016, 01:29 PM »
The only reason to buy a console is to play their exclusives, you can play all multi platform on a PC with a joypad on your coach if you choose, that argument went out the window long time ago. And in regards of exclusives, Nintendo is the go-to machine. Not because the other consoles don't have any, but because Nintendo has more unique and innovative ones. It's pretty reasonable to compare Dark Souls with Bloodborne, but you will not be able to compare Splatoon, Pikmin etc. with anything really. Again, I am only talking exclusives vs. exclusives. I don't care about the power/features/graphics of a console because it's irrelevant with a PC in my room.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 03:00 PM »
The only reason to buy a console is to play their exclusives, you can play all multi platform on a PC with a joypad on your coach if you choose, that argument went out the window long time ago. And in regards of exclusives, Nintendo is the go-to machine. Not because the other consoles don't have any, but because Nintendo has more unique and innovative ones. It's pretty reasonable to compare Dark Souls with Bloodborne, but you will not be able to compare Splatoon, Pikmin etc. with anything really. Again, I am only talking exclusives vs. exclusives. I don't care about the power/features/graphics of a console because it's irrelevant with a PC in my room.

You're saying that because you can play Dark Souls in every machine (except Nintendo ones) Pikimin  is better than Bloodborne? That's a creative.

I guess Splatoon is also better than Mario 64 because Ratchet and Clank or Spyro the dragon?
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 03:48 PM »
I didn't mention better, I said more unique and innovative. ;)

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 07:57 PM »
Sweet, we're talking best N64 games :D For me the following games, pretty much my collection, not in any order:

Mission Impossible

Uh...really? MI is one of those games that wants to be good, but fails to execute.

So did I. One of my favorite consoles ever. However, that doesn't change the fact that the Playstation one, arguably the most influential console of all time (which I never owned), had more sales and a bigger catalog of big guns. This is all Metracritic-able, not an absolute measurement, but at least one that attempts to be objective.

The N64 had some amazing games, OOT, Mario 64, they changed or created genres by themselves. But the Playstation single handedly started making videogames a global market appealing for more than teenagers.

"arguably the most influential console of all time"?

"a bigger catalog of big guns"?

Come on. In terms of influence, the N64 had the analog stick first, rumble first, 3D platforming first, and paved the way for FPSes on consoles. PS1 had Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. Influential, yes, but not earth-shatteringly so.

And as for big guns:

PS1

Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy
Gran Turismo
Tomb Raider
Twisted Metal
Crash
Spyro
Castlevania
JRPGs-a-plenty

Only the first five in that list were real game-changers, and they were, in order:

Violent
Gritty
Ugly-as-sin, but propped up by FMV
Slow simulation racing
Ugly-as-sin, not propped up by FMV

The rest was mostly sports games and shovelware.

The N64 might've not had much just for adults, but it had lots of titles that appealed to all ages, as well as a few good FPS, fighting, and sports titles. And if you want big guns:

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark
Banjo-Kazooie
Ocarina Of Time/Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros.
Star Fox 64
Star Wars games

Top six were all game-changers, all looked good, and only one was violent (but not bloody enough to prevent lots of kids from playing it). And to help compensate for a lack of RPGs/sports titles, you get a plethora of 3D platformers, non-shovelware multiplayer party games, racing games, and wrestling games. Not to mention great cult games like Conker's Bad Fur Day, Harvest Moon 64, Jet Force Gemini, Mischief Makers, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Robotron 64, and Paper Mario.

And without a doubt, the N64 owned PS1 in terms of hardware:

Fast-loading, durable cartridges
Texture filtering (to prevent blockiness)
Perspective correction (to prevent texture warping in free-camera games)
Four built-in controller ports
Expansion Pak

Only drawbacks were a lack of CD audio and FMV, but they weren't greatly missed. The system had great in-engine cutscenes and great MIDI music.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:02 PM by The Extremist »

Offline Triad

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2016, 07:59 PM »
My thoughts exactly. If a game is available on multiple platforms, try to play it on its best platform, and that's usually PC unless there's a bad port. And I agree Wii is more unique. I mean you cannot find something like Wii sports, Pikmin etc on other platforms. Of course if you have zero interest to Wii you're free to go other platforms.

My general priority for gaming hardwares would be:
1- PC
2- Wii U
3- Old consoles with large exclusives library which doesn't have a good emulator on PC.
4- PS3-PS4/XB360-XB1
5- Old consoles which has good emulators on PC but you wanna play with original stuff.

Offline HHC

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2016, 08:14 PM »
But 7 games? Really? Pretty amazing feat, did he get 20 DLCs per game or something? Also, this isn't a PS4 thing, it's progress, you'll be installing everything not long from here.

Well GTA V the basic game is already 60GB'ish.
And he had a PSN membership, so a free game for dl every month, which must be downloaded in its entirity to the HDD :x

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2016, 11:50 PM »
The Extremist and Triad know what they are talking about :D

@ Extremist, agree with all that.

I'm not saying Playstation games aren't fun because they are, but to me Playstation always were and always will be the pop music of gaming, while they have some classics every now and again the vast majority of games are utter garbage spewed out for the brainless masses to consume, which is why they have the most sales etc, nothing to do with being the best quality/best games or not, they were the most popular and best advertised.

Nintendo have always been more innovative, they made the most important breakthroughs, the games Nintendo make always make me feel young and wild, and that's what gaming should be imo.

@Triad - Nice list i'd go:

1 - PC
2 - Nintendo(anything)
3 - Sega Mega Drive
4 - Playstation 2
5 - Everything else

Edit: Anubis, well said, I usually only ever have my Wii U /  PC setup on my desk, the rest stay packed up for those binge weekends on Zelda OoT or something :D

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Come on. In terms of influence, the N64 had the analog stick first, rumble first, 3D platforming first, and paved the way for FPSes on consoles. PS1 had Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. Influential, yes, but not earth-shatteringly so.

What? CD, Dual Analog, Memory Cards, PocketStation, DVD player, Vertical stack, Movement controls, PSX RIP,  Hard Drive, HD,  PS+,  Remote Play, Share Play.

It's not even close.

And as for big guns:

PS1

Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy
Gran Turismo
Tomb Raider
Twisted Metal
Crash
Spyro
Castlevania
JRPGs-a-plenty

Only the first five in that list were real game-changers, and they were, in order:

Violent
Gritty
Slow simulation racing

The N64 might've not had much just for adults, but it had lots of titles that appealed to all ages, as well as a few good FPS, fighting, and sports titles. And if you want big guns:

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Super Smash Bros.
Star Fox 64
Star Wars games

the f@#! is this list? Where is Tekken? Soul Calibur? Why are JRPGS all in the same line? To make it seem like less? Why don't you group up 3d plataformers too? Or you just wanted to leave out Dragon Quest (easily on the level of FF) saga and the fact there were more Final Fantasies than Marios or Zeldas (yet you mention both zeldas as an exception? What about the revolutionary Tony Hawk? Driver? Silent Hill? Parasite Eve? The beginning of incredible sports sagas like the Madden games, the PES and the FIFAS. This was the time when they still showed up in Nintendo machines, and stopped doing so. What about Tom Clancy? The Needs for Speeds. Amazing nitpicking really... "star wars games".. lol

Look, the playstation had more great games, the numbers aren't even close. You mentioned all the N64 had to offer and missed on half the catalogue of the PS1. You nitpicked mentioning either sagas or individual titles where it fit you, it's ridiculous and childish. PS sagas had plenty more games than N64's... Tenchu, Persona, Valk Profile, Time Crisis, Syphon Filter, Grandia, Rally games, Wipeout, Vagrant Story, Street Fighters, GTA 2, Chrono Cross, Ape Scape, Ridge Racer, Soul Reaver... For f@#!s sake lol, the ratio is ridiculous. Where the top n64 on the same level and sometimes even better than the PS1 AAA titles? Sometimes. But the PS1 dwarfs the N64 in great games. How can this even be an argument when it's basically pop culture? Are you guys millennials or something? The N64 f@#!ing died mid way through the generation for f@#!'s sake. It lost its own generation war and died early. Because it didn't have games. I remember it got to a point where I had basically played all good n64 games and had to try weird shit like Quest 64 and Mischief Makers, not bad games at all, but sorry, no comparison in numbers.

Expansion Pak

True.

Only drawbacks were a lack of CD audio and FMV, but they weren't greatly missed. The system had great in-engine cutscenes and great MIDI music.

CD audio wasn't greatly missed? god bless fanboyism

Yes indeed @TheKomodo, Sony are the Beatles of videogaming.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:26 AM by Aerox »
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 01:03 PM »

What? CD, Dual Analog, Memory Cards, PocketStation, DVD player, Vertical stack, Movement controls, PSX RIP,  Hard Drive, HD,  PS+,  Remote Play, Share Play.

It's not even close.

And as for big guns:

PS1

Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy
Gran Turismo
Tomb Raider
Twisted Metal
Crash
Spyro
Castlevania
JRPGs-a-plenty

Violent
Gritty
Slow simulation racing

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Super Smash Bros.
Star Fox 64
Star Wars games

the f@#! is this list? Where is Tekken? Soul Calibur? Why are JRPGS all in the same line? To make it seem like less? Why don't you group up 3d plataformers too? Or you just wanted to leave out Dragon Quest (easily on the level of FF) saga and the fact there were more Final Fantasies than Marios or Zeldas (yet you mention both zeldas as an exception? What about the revolutionary Tony Hawk? Driver? Silent Hill? Parasite Eve? The beginning of incredible sports sagas like the Madden games, the PES and the FIFAS. This was the time when they still showed up in Nintendo machines, and stopped doing so. What about Tom Clancy? The Needs for Speeds. Amazing nitpicking really... "star wars games".. lol

Look, the playstation had more great games, the numbers aren't even close. You mentioned all the N64 had to offer and missed on half the catalogue of the PS1. You nitpicked mentioning either sagas or individual titles where it fit you, it's ridiculous and childish. PS sagas had plenty more games than N64's... Tenchu, Persona, Valk Profile, Time Crisis, Syphon Filter, Grandia, Rally games, Wipeout, Vagrant Story, Street Fighters, GTA 2, Chrono Cross, Ape Scape, Ridge Racer, Soul Reaver... For f@#!s sake lol, the ratio is ridiculous. Where the top n64 on the same level and sometimes even better than the PS1 AAA titles? Sometimes. But the PS1 dwarfs the N64 in great games. How can this even be an argument when it's basically pop culture? Are you guys millennials or something? The N64 f@#!ing died mid way through the generation for f@#!'s sake. It lost its own generation war and died early. Because it didn't have games. I remember it got to a point where I had basically played all good n64 games and had to try weird shit like Quest 64 and Mischief Makers, not bad games at all, but sorry, no comparison in numbers.

Expansion Pak

True.

CD audio wasn't greatly missed? god bless fanboyism

Yes indeed @TheKomodo, Sony are the Beatles of videogaming.
Please bash the applaud button for ropa, hes the beatles of gaming central subforums, said everything i wanted to say but was too lazy to type.  Everything here is right, i cringed a little at the mention of JRPG, but this is more or less on point. 

I will note that you totally disregarded SOCOM, which was the first multiplayer game that basically used voice chat for the first time in a meaningful strategic way, my old roommate had a clan in 2002 that he ended up meeting in RL.  This basically launched the console multiplayer era, which nintendo tried to keep up with, in vain.  If nintendo didnt have IP's that were created 30 years ago, they would be out of business by now.

I like the 64 as much as anyone, but if sony or microsoft put out some shit like the Wii U, they would be out of business.  The only meaningful thing Nintendo has done in the last 10 years is retaining their exclusive IP's like mario, zelda, ect.  Thank God for Miyamoto, without him, this company would be more like Atari than Nintendo. 

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 08:24 AM »

It's not even close.

Sega CD came first. The dual analog on PS1 wasn't used to great effect - it was barely a 3D console. Memory cards were only a thing because CD consoles can't save to cartridge (on N64, a few carts didn't have saves to cut costs). PocketStation was Japan only (right up there with the 64DD, eh?). Everything else is PS2 or later (and you accuse ME of "creative" lists?).

the f@#! is this list? Where is Tekken? Soul Calibur?

You mean Soul Blade. Soul Calibur was on Dreamcast. And they're a million miles apart both technologically and aesthetically. Soul Blade is like a souped-up Virtua Fighter 1, Soul Calibur set the standard for weapon-based fighters. Tekken has always been a poor man's Street Fighter.

Why are JRPGS all in the same line? To make it seem like less? Why don't you group up 3d plataformers too?

Because they almost all blended into one another. Same with the N64's 3D platformers, which I did group together aside from SM64, Banjo, and Conker, which are hallmarks of the genre. Also, 3D didn't immediately add much to JRPGs. They were the same gameplay on PS1 as they were on SNES, just with the addition of bad character models and FMV.

What about the revolutionary Tony Hawk? Driver? Silent Hill? Parasite Eve?

Tony Hawk was on N64 too. Admittedly with blood and a lot of music removed, but it was still pretty damn good.

Driver was a cult classic, but became a distant memory when GTA III released a couple years later.

Silent Hill and Parasite Eve? More horror for adults. When you look at games that had mass appeal, PS1 has little to offer in comparison to N64.

The beginning of incredible sports sagas like the Madden games, the PES and the FIFAS. This was the time when they still showed up in Nintendo machines, and stopped doing so.

I already gave the sports trophy to Sony, though they're the junk food of gaming. They're kinda fun and sell well, but they're nothing special. N64 had some good baseball games, FWIW.

What about Tom Clancy? The Needs for Speeds. Amazing nitpicking really... "star wars games".. lol

Tom Clancy/Need For Speed didn't mean much on consoles until the next generation. And the N64 has three widely remembered Star Wars games in Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, and Episode I: Racer. It's not nitpicking to include them.

Define "great games". A bunch of samey fighting games? Check. A bunch of samey JRPGs? Check. Last-gen sidescrollers and SHMUPs? Check. Linear, simplistic 3D platformers like Crash, Spyro, and Ape Escape, when the N64 got adventures like Banjo and a superior port of Rayman 2? Check.

The PS1 did have some notable titles, but the ones on N64 were more advanced and more polished. Don't mistake grittiness for quality. If you have an absolute need for the PS1's mature catalogue and are willing to accept its underwhelming 3D capabilities and mondo loading times, be my guest. :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:19 AM by The Extremist »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Look at that post, a bunch of trivial reasons for the dismissal of great games just because you apparently don't like fighting, jrpgs, sport and action games

it's like me saying the N64 had a bunch of samey plataformers and party games. But I've actually played those games, so I would never make such a simploid claim.

it's ridiculous, you're basically a pokemon
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Let me reiterate my points, and simplify them...

PS1 is too "dudebro", N64 is too "kiddy". It can be called a wash in terms of target audiences.

PS1 had Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX, Gran Turismo, and Tomb Raider. N64 had Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Ocarina Of Time/Majora's Mask, and Super Smash Bros. AAA genre defining titles can also be considered a wash.

And of course, PS1 won in both sales and quantity of games released. But none of this changes the fact that PS1 games look worse than N64 games (it was pretty much 2.5D, a slightly more beefy Saturn), have much longer loading times, there are fewer 4-player multiplayer titles, and a huge chunk of the PS1's massive library was utterly forgettable. This is why I boil the PS1 down to a single net benefit - more games for a mature audience.

If you still insist that all my arguments are null and void because I'm forgetting a few fighting and survival-horror games (I can bring the snark too, fella). then here's a little game. List all the "great but not GOAT" PS1 games you can - your Silents Hills, Parasite Eves, Drivers, Tekkens - and I'll do the same for N64. Then the others can pass final judgement on which is more worthy.

You first. I've been up all night fixing a RAM problem...

Offline Anubis

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Both consoles had great games, dunno why you two are arguing about which is better. I loved Gran Tursimo, Resident Evil, Destruction Derby, Street Fighter, Dark Omen etc. just as much as I liked Turok, WCW vs NWO Revenge, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Golden Eye, F-Zero etc.. The ONLY real benefit of the N64 was, that it had better multiplayer titles (and 4 player Splitscreen). PS1 awesome games were pretty much single player for the most part.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2016, 01:28 PM »
I'm sorry but that list is mediocre, I already listed a bunch of AAA games you dismissed for retarded reasons such as "Tekken is poor man's Street Fighter", yet you not include SF either hah.

If you think having Final Fantasy there and not having FF Tactics, the Dragon Warriors, Vagrant Story etc, makes any sense?... or having Tomb Raider and not having Crash Bandicoot? Having GT but not having Ridge Racer, (or GT2). And then claim you could add plenty more for the n64? please dude, what you gonna add? Diddy Kong Racing?

Your dismissal of games based on their graphical power or the way their models look is also nerve breaking considering Nintendo is only alive thanks to their handheld market of pseudo 3d pikachus
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:25 PM by TheKomodo »
Eat a bag full of dicks.