Forums
May 10, 2024, 05:01 PM

Author Topic: Just got a Wii U  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
Re: Just got a Wii U
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2016, 01:30 PM »
dunno why you two are arguing about which is better

I'm not. I made a statement: the PSX had a bigger catalog of great games. He's been trying to debate it with mediocre attempts at dismissing half of PSX's legendary sagas with some of the most colorful points I've ever read. And I'm sure you know what colorful means.

It's ridiculous. And the difference between me and the guy is that whilst his mom didn't allow him to have a PSX because of the blood, I have all those N64 games he speaks about, including guns, rumblepacks, wheels and that random 3D expansion that came with DK. I'm probably a bigger fan than he is. Probably can hand his ass to him in Goldeneye, any Pokemon generation or smash bros. The difference is the "boy" part, I'm a fan, not a fanboy.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:46 PM by Aerox »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline HHC

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2016, 09:28 PM »
can you guys wrap it up? :D

as with all brand vs brand fights, each its own taste.
Let's say all consoles are good, but just 'different'. Except that cheapass chinese ripoff console, that's just crap.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2016, 09:59 PM »
Let's say all consoles are good, but just 'different'.
This statement is fallacious though, nintendo has by far the most loyal fanbase, yet despite this advantage, its console gets outsold 3 to 1 when compared with the PS4.  If there was no mario or zelda, this inferior console would have already been phased out of the market, and that is the honest truth.  The Wii U is using last-gen technology, it barely outperforms the PS3 and xbox 360.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2016, 10:22 PM »
Let's say all consoles are good, but just 'different'.
This statement is fallacious though, nintendo has by far the most loyal fanbase, yet despite this advantage, its console gets outsold 3 to 1 when compared with the PS4.  If there was no mario or zelda, this inferior console would have already been phased out of the market, and that is the honest truth.  The Wii U is using last-gen technology, it barely outperforms the PS3 and xbox 360.

What HHC said is perfectly true, all consoles have a loyal fanbase, and these days a lot of people have Nintendo/Sony & Microsoft gaming in their homes, not just 1.

I bet if you were to ask the people in control of Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo, they would all have big respect for each other, and I bet especially Sony/Microsoft look up to Nintendo in terms of gaming and their historic feats.

There is some truth in what you are saying though, such as Nintendo being outsold, and using last generation technology, but those things don't even matter, Nintendo are a business and they still turn profit, regardless of who makes more, Nintendo make enough to keep going, give us great games, and make a profit for themselves, and who needs to give a f**k about next generation? If a game is good it's good, regardless of hardware/software used.

Plus, Nintendo is more affordable for families, I got it new, with 2 games, for less than half the price of the PS4, the games are not as expensive either which means I have more money to buy other stuff :)

If you really really like gaming though, you would have every console you could get your hands on :)

The main reason I talk sh*t about Sony/Xbox is because of f**king piece of sh*t Call of Duty, and their stupid online subscriptions, get a Nintendo and play for free(so far...), but at the end of the day, I truly enjoy gaming on any platform.

Offline lalo

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2016, 02:49 AM »
Plus, Nintendo is more affordable for families, I got it new, with 2 games, for less than half the price of the PS4, the games are not as expensive either which means I have more money to buy other stuff :)

XBOX 1 is by FAR the cheaper of them at least in Chile. We usually buy stuff in Chile or overseas and sell them in Argentina and we have bought 2 X1 and 2 PS4 so far. 1 Xbox for 205 USD, the other for 270 USD both brand new. You just need to know where to look for or have a girl who can smell a sale miles away  :D.
We never buy new games, you can get a pre owned game on facebook for a fraction of the price, I wouldn't pay more than 18USD for Fallout 4 if I can get it new for 5 more dollars  :o.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2016, 03:48 AM »
Your dismissal of games based on their graphical power or the way their models look is also nerve breaking considering Nintendo is only alive thanks to their handheld market of pseudo 3d pikachus

That's only half true. Yes, Nintendo's strength is in handheld, but they make money on console hardware. It's part of the reason why they've been missing features/power from the N64 onwards - to save money.

All of the game lists I've made so far were reduced to just the absolute most highly regarded games, plus a few cult classics. You don't want to do your mid-tier master list first? Alrighty then...

Wave Race 64
F-Zero X
1080° Snowboarding
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2
Banjo-Tooie
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Paper Mario
WWF No Mercy
Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil
Rayman 2: The Great Escape (superior to the PS1 version)
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 1, 2, & 3
Beetle Adventure Racing
Extreme-G
Diddy Kong Racing
Blast Corps
San Francisco Rush 2049
Hydro Thunder

Like I said, the N64 is the place to be for platforming, racing, and party games, just like the PS1 is the place to be for sports, JRPG, and survival horror.

You see, my argument is that the PS1 isn't inherently better just because it does well in certain genres, because the N64 has its own genres that it's good at. No, what makes the N64 better is that it caters to all ages, and is more powerful. Power isn't everything, but the gap is big in this case. The PS1 would've done a Wii U had both systems used the same storage medium.

It's ridiculous. And the difference between me and the guy is that whilst his mom didn't allow him to have a PSX because of the blood, I have all those N64 games he speaks about, including guns, rumblepacks, wheels and that random 3D expansion that came with DK. I'm probably a bigger fan than he is. Probably can hand his ass to him in Goldeneye, any Pokemon generation or smash bros. The difference is the "boy" part, I'm a fan, not a fanboy.

Blood and violence didn't have much to do with why I went N64 instead of PS1. I played Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero and Perfect Dark, and those are plenty bloody. I went N64 because the PS1 has s***ty graphics, a s***ty controller, s***ty loading times, and slim pickings in terms of sprawling adventure games aside from JRPGs, which I can't stand. I need open worlds and real-time combat (Worms being the exception), hence why I adore The Elder Scrolls.

Smash Bros., you'd probably beat me at - I've mostly just played against the CPU since Melee. Pokémon, maybe. It's a pretty simplistic game that leans more towards grinding than skill. GoldenEye, now we're talking. I've trained with the best via netplay, and came second in a local tournament. I'm a hardcore GE/PD fan.

I'm done fiddling with emulators (at least until CEN64 is done...), but I'll happily challenge you to a few matches in Perfect Dark XBLA (even though I don't like the port for a lot of reasons). ^_^

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2016, 09:17 AM »
I'm done fiddling with emulators (at least until CEN64 is done...), but I'll happily challenge you to a few matches in Perfect Dark XBLA (even though I don't like the port for a lot of reasons). ^_^

Hmm, I loved Goldeneye / Perfect Dark and I wonder, if you guys were to take on a challenge against each other, would you be interested in streaming it for charity? I'd donate about £50 if you guys took it seriously, wonder if anyone else would chip in? :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Everyone who has played Goldeneye says they were amazing at it.

Oh, licence to kill with power weapons in the complex.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2016, 10:34 AM »
The Extremist, the N64 released less than 300 games here in Europe. The PSX more than 2.000
I'm done with you, count green squares
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/ps/metascore?view=condensed
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/n64/metascore
The PSX had more good games than the N64, period. You think Banjo Kazooie has more depth than Dragon Warrior? You where born in the 2000s? Good for you. That doesn't give you the right to dismiss facts. Have a good one.

Hmm, I loved Goldeneye / Perfect Dark and I wonder, if you guys were to take on a challenge against each other, would you be interested in streaming it for charity? I'd donate about £50 if you guys took it seriously, wonder if anyone else would chip in? :)

Seeing his hate for PSX games (for reasons), the way he went out of his way to declare himself an Elder Scrolls fanboy (Souls games >>>>>) and the general way in which he speaks videogames; I don't think the poor soul stands the slightest of chances in a FPS. Plus Goldeneye 1v1 sucks, not to mention it's been too long and I don't know the maps in detail anymore. We can do Mario Kart or SSB through an emulator, forget about the money though, I'm happy enough beating a Nintendo fanboy at Nintendo games. We can even do Pokemon.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Still, quite impressive that N64 almost pulled off as many 90+ games as the PSX with 1/6th of their games. ;D
Oh btw, another big MINUS for N64 were the game prices, PSX games were 99DM (before EURO), N64 were up to 149 DM in some cases, lowest around 119. You always payed more for N64 than for PSX. At least in Germany.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2016, 02:24 PM »
Still, quite impressive that N64 almost pulled off as many 90+ games as the PSX with 1/6th of their games. ;D
Oh btw, another big MINUS for N64 were the game prices, PSX games were 99DM (before EURO), N64 were up to 149 DM in some cases, lowest around 119. You always payed more for N64 than for PSX. At least in Germany.

At the end of the day PSX was revolutionary in how easy it was to develop for it. The toolkit, the jump to CD (also fits in a PC), how cheap it was... all that meant that basically anyone could make a game for it. There are really bizarre examples of this, similar to the APPstores of today where you can find truly epìc shits.

The N64 was a different story, not only did it have a much smaller market share and it was more expensive to develop for it meant that people weren't willing to take as many risks unless it was a very experienced company or a sure bet. This is also one of the reasons why most of their best games are made by Nintendo or have a strong collaboration with the parent company.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2016, 03:24 PM »
Playstation ended up being cheaper here because everyone was getting them chipped for like £20 :D

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2016, 09:41 PM »
You think Banjo Kazooie has more depth than Dragon Warrior? You where born in the 2000s? Good for you. That doesn't give you the right to dismiss facts. Have a good one.

Dragon Quest/Warrior is not inherently better than Banjo-Kazooie. One is a standard JPRG with a focus on story and stats over gameplay variety and level design, and the other is a full-fledged 3D adventure with simple but charming character traits. It depends entirely on your taste in gaming, and I'll take fully-realized 3D worlds over rote fantasy dialogue and number crunching.

the way he went out of his way to declare himself an Elder Scrolls fanboy (Souls games >>>>>)

Again, Elder Scrolls and Dark Souls are two different styles. One is huge with low attention to detail, and the other is compact with high attention to detail. Both series are highly regarded, and again, it's a matter of taste.

I have yet to make any sweeping statements without evidence. I've said, accurately, that the PS1 focuses on one set of genres, and the N64 focuses on another. N64 is the net better technology, with a single drawback of small, expensive cartridges, which limited the number of games released. But the good games that did get released can easily go toe-to-toe with the PS1's good games in terms of innovation and gameplay quality, which unfortunately for your side, aren't euphemisms for mature themes and FMV.

Seriously, just put out your list of great sub-masterpiece PS1 games, and let the people decide.

and the general way in which he speaks videogames; I don't think the poor soul stands the slightest of chances in a FPS. Plus Goldeneye 1v1 sucks, not to mention it's been too long and I don't know the maps in detail anymore. We can do Mario Kart or SSB through an emulator, forget about the money though, I'm happy enough beating a Nintendo fanboy at Nintendo games. We can even do Pokemon.

I guess you didn't hear the part where I don't emulate consoles anymore. Too inaccurate, too many fiddly settings and crashes. If you want to play something, it's gotta be an Xbox or PC release (I have a Wii U, but Mario Kart 8 doesn't demand a lot of skill, and you'd easily crush me in Smash 4). And again, all it takes to be good at Pokémon is basic stat knowledge and grinding, and after putting nearly 200 hours into Skyrim, I'm sick of grinding.

I'll happily give you 10 days to prepare on either PD XBLA, a Halo game of your choosing, or an Unreal Tournament game of your choosing.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:44 PM by The Extremist »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Not much to reply to in that post...

Seriously, just put out your list of great sub-masterpiece PS1 games, and let the people decide.

Why? Who said anything about master pieces? I claimed the PS1 had more good games than the N64, there's two links in my last post proving the statement, are you ready to challenge that or you're going to keep changing the terminology to suit your argumentation?

I guess you didn't hear the part where I don't emulate consoles anymore

N64 runs on browsers and phones. Emulating it for online play is easy as shit unless you're a cyberboor who plays shooters with gamepads. "Halo game of your choosing". What are you? a cross-breed between a nintendofag and a xboxican hating on the PSX? My god

Mario Kart 8 doesn't demand a lot of skill

Lmao. You're a surface gamer (a housewife with steam). Please stop embarrasing yourself.

I don't want to generalize but f@#!ing hell:

Nintendo fanboy - check
Haloican - check
Computer iliterate - check
Plays FPS with gamepad - check
Sucks terribly at fighting games - check
Thinks you only need some bare stat knowledge and grind to be succesful at Pokemon - check

You're what we call here in Spain an "I-want-but-I-can't"

You can't stand MOBAs either amirite? Probably play Smite some, LOL. This is how I roll

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:43 AM by Aerox »
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline HHC

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2016, 01:15 PM »
closing thread, all said and done, discussion not going anywhere

edit: reopened, one more try.

Ropa, Extremist, keep it civil and short. No nitpicking posts. State what you think and how you feel. Understand that other people have their own favs. Post your own view, accept another guy's's (speeling?).

Neway, as said, one more try.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:15 PM by HHC »