Forums
May 18, 2024, 08:59 PM

Author Topic: Tus playoffs  (Read 9286 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: Tus playoffs
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2009, 06:40 PM »
So your solution is simply to switch the positions?

Instead of counting 4 seaonal, system counts 4 overall?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2009, 08:24 PM »
I think thats his idea. And maybe it is a fair point. I think we switched it from overall coming first because of flori...

or was it switched becasue it was 1,2,3,4 = top overall, then 5,6,7,8 = top seasonal?

I think maybe if it was just switched to 1st was top overall, 2nd was top seasonal, 3rd was 2nd overall, 4 was 2nd seasonal, it could be fairer and reward the players with higher overall ratings, instead of seasonal ratings as it is harder for high overall rating players as their ratings has developed.

So basically, i think nail and random are just asking for it to switched to give overall 1st, seasonal 2nd. and so on.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2009, 08:38 PM »
ok fair enough. I'll do that.

But I don't think it is that much harder for the overall player to be on top of the standings. For example right now Random00 made himself first in the standings while some hours ago he was complaining (In this topic) it is so hard.

There are LOT of people with good rating in an specific scheme. Don't forget we set it like this to decrease noob bashing. If a high ranked player would gain like a new comer or others, then it will be same story again.

For example just today Random00 beat obscure in BnG (Game 12772) and earned 54 points.
I think it really is a matter of analyzer.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2009, 01:31 AM »
Maybe there is a bug tho!

Why am i seeded in 4th for playoffs? and zippo is seeded in 7th? Yet hes got higher overall rating, and higher seasonal rating than me??

PO#7  ZiPpO               TdC     141     86     55     60.99%     1481 3030
13     HusH            s2k    21    18    3    85.71%    1386    2042    [Novice]
PO#2 Ray                    RoH    54    43    11    79.63%    1384    4873    [Major]
15     xLo                    WiB    45    24    21    53.33%    1355    1433    [Beginner]
16     Uber            RoH    40    28    12    70%      1347    1983    [Novice]
17     TitiO            Wee    34    21    13    61.76%    1334    1334    [Beginner]
18     WeeM4n            che    19    13    6    68.42%    1322    2605    [Average]
PO#8  SacrificialLamb    RoH    56    32    24    57.14%    1307    1307    [Beginner]
PO#4  Chicken23            CKC    57    32    25    56.14%    1273    2064    [Novice]

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2009, 06:29 AM »
Chicken read this: (It is in the same topic)
https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/leagues-general/tus-playoffs/msg7994/#msg7994

In short,
System found ZiPpO in the top seasonal, marked him and removed him from the list of qualified players, then it found you in its search for overall people.

However I changed to system to consider overall first then scan for seasonal. (But we'll probably face the Flori case again)

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2009, 08:13 AM »
but surely that isnt sorted it as planned?

If its
#1 1st season
#2 1nd overall
#3 2nd season
#4 2nd overall
#5 3rd season
#6 3rd overall
#7 4th season
#8 4th overall

Reguardless of it being sorted with seasonal before overall, its still not working right?

Your saying its picking up zippo as 4th in seasonal ranking? and me as overall ranking?? Ive only got gold..

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2009, 08:20 AM »
At the moment system is exactly doing like you listed the players.

It picked ZiPpO for being in the 4 seasonal. (He is 4th there, so he will be 7 in the PO)
Then it started scanning for overall players, which started by Ray. You were 2nd in overall, so you are 4th.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2009, 08:59 AM »
ok..

But somehow it need to realise that zippo has a higher seasonal., and higher overall than me. And place him above me right?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2009, 09:01 AM »
By switching the placements of overall and seasonal, I think this problem will be solved.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2009, 09:04 AM »
sorry, had plenty of beers as thanks giving and stuff. Like when a player has made the 50 games, and 50% winning, if it could be coded to read in the seasonal, and overall, and compare it to other players and place them accordinly. If you look at the players who have a higher seasonal points than zippo, u see that 3 of those guys have silver rank for overall. Zippo has way more overall points and should be seeded according to that, not seasonal (even if he is 4th seasonal, he is 2nd overall out of the selected playoff candiates and be put into seed 4th)??

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2009, 09:06 AM »
By switching the placements of overall and seasonal, I think this problem will be solved.

This doesnt mean seeding the candiates as

#1 = 1st overal
#2 = 1st seasonal
#3 = 2nd overall
so on...

But instead the reading into the seeds on which variable of seasonal/overall first?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2009, 09:36 AM »
ok I tuned it a bit. system now consider overall first. But still 1, 3, 5, 7 is seasonal position and 2, 4, 6, 8 are overall positions.

Offline Ray

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2009, 11:09 AM »
How about simply removing this numbering in Playoffs? People who achieve the conditions to qualify to the Playoffs will be in Playoffs at the end of the season and site will generate the pairs randomly.

Also, I am saying lon ago, that many people have problem with people who get into the Playoffs with their overall rank but have very small seasonal points. Maybe the four people qualifying into the Playoffs with their overall ranks MUST BE in top 20 players of the season.

Offline Random00

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2009, 12:23 PM »
How about simply removing this numbering in Playoffs? People who achieve the conditions to qualify to the Playoffs will be in Playoffs at the end of the season and site will generate the pairs randomly.

this is shit imo, cause the seasonal winner shouldnt be play vs the overall leader in the quarterfinals, as they both are probably better then e.g. the seasonal 4th.
Maybe you could add a little randomness by creating playoff pairings as follows:
Group 1: Seasonal #1 and Overall #1
Group 2: Seasonal #2 and Overall #2
Group 3: Seasonal #3 and Overall #3
Group 4: Seasonal #4 and Overall #4

Games are:
2x Group 1 vs Group 4; Winners = Group A
2x Group 2 vs Group 3; Winners = Group B

Semi-Finals:
2x Group A vs Group B

with a system like this you wont be able to pick a specific opponent for your playoff games, but you usually still have an advantage if you can be #1 in seasonal or overall rating.
The only thing that should be cleared is who picks first if some of the same starting group have to play against each other (for example: final is Season #1 vs Overall #1).
My suggestion for this case would be to let the player with a higher overall rating pick first.

[...]
But I don't think it is that much harder for the overall player to be on top of the standings. For example right now Random00 made himself first in the standings while some hours ago he was complaining (In this topic) it is so hard.
[...]
I didnt really complain for me in my situation cause I didnt have too much points when this season started; I was more talking about the future or the situation of someone like Nail or Ray.

[...]
For example just today Random00 beat obscure in BnG (Game 12772) and earned 54 points.
I think it really is a matter of analyzer.
This was maybe simply because I didnt reach my longterm BnG point amount yet. So the system was bad for obscure just because he did play more bng games so far. And thats why the overall rating should be considered "worthier" compared to seasonal rating.
Cause longterm I would maybe just get 40 points for bng win vs obscure if we have the same bng skill.
All in all I think that the system is quite ok if you're talking about an interval of 3-4 seasons. But I dunno ift still fair after this time... I doubt it, thats all ;)

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2009, 06:22 PM »
even now that it is considering overall before seasonal. It seems fine for the first 4 or so players selected. But its putting phathom in 5th when it should be zippo, hes in 6th, saclamb is 7th and im 8th when ive got more seasonal and more overall than sac and phathom..

I think there is a bug still MI..