Forums
May 02, 2024, 10:39 PM

Author Topic: Tus playoffs  (Read 9188 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: Tus playoffs
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 09:07 AM »
Guys this topic is about some ideas about the league. Unfortunately TUS doesn't have anywhere for this type. We wanna make a different community than the previous ones.

There are always places like AG where you can pull each others hair.
(More flames on this topic will get deleted)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:09 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Ray

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Sorry for answering, I know, I was an idiot.

Offline Ray

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Here we go again, NAiL made a good point on the chatbox today:

Why is he only qualifying as 7th to PO if he has both higher overall and seasonal rank than some people who qualify in front of him?

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Yes please exaplin.

I think there should be a dedicated PO button on the standings page that lists all of the players qualifying for PO positions, that also explains why they positioned as they did.

e.g. You press it and get this:

Playoff Positions

1st :  Phantom  (Highest Seasonal Rating)
2nd:  yanme     (Highest Overall Rating)
3rd : NAiL         (2nd Highest Sesonal Rating)
4th:  Phil          (2nd Highest Overall Rating)
""   ""    ""

etc...

So you dont have to scroll through pages to find the players and also avoids any confusion.
worm and learn

Offline beer

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 09:07 PM »
i still dnt understand how it changes too

drama queen iz back

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 06:01 AM »
I can add such thing. But wasn't your question about why 4 top seaonal is considered first?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 06:25 AM »
Monkey I have a higher seasonal and overal rating than some players there, and qualify below them. This must be a bug, pls explain!
worm and learn

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 06:50 AM »
Right now, beer and BOROTALCO are above you and they both have higher seasonal points than you. You are 3rd by seasonal points and you will be 5th in PO.

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 07:42 AM »
but MI, I have higher ratings than phantom and hes second.

Im the highest overal with 50 games played, surely I should be 2nd. It doesnt make sense that phantom is higher than me, and that if I loose enough points, I willl qualify higher!

Pleas explain this, also pls remind me how the PO qualifications work.
worm and learn

Offline ZiPpO

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 09:39 AM »
Yes please exaplin.

I think there should be a dedicated PO button on the standings page that lists all of the players qualifying for PO positions, that also explains why they positioned as they did.

e.g. You press it and get this:

Playoff Positions

1st :  Phantom  (Highest Seasonal Rating)
2nd:  yanme     (Highest Overall Rating)
3rd : NAiL         (2nd Highest Sesonal Rating)
4th:  Phil          (2nd Highest Overall Rating)
""   ""    ""

etc...

So you dont have to scroll through pages to find the players and also avoids any confusion.

wow phantom sooo pro ;D roflmao!

Offline Ray

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Maybe we should get back to count the first 8 people of their seasonal points and nothing else? ;\ We really need a good idea here from someone way more experienced than me.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2009, 11:22 AM »
No Ray. He is complaining about the order of PO.

@NAiL,
At the moment:
System search between current league players to find the people who have at least 50 games played and have 50% winning percentage.
Once the specific list is ready, it looks for 4 seasonal first and after finding them it will remove them from the list, so that it can start finding the 4 overall in the list.

It gives the first seasonal 4, positions: 1, 3, 5, 7 in the PO and gives the overall top: 2, 4, 6, 8.

In your case, the system found you in the seaonal top 4 and removed you from the overall list.

Offline Random00

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2009, 05:19 PM »
in my opinion its much easier to become first in the season rating then in the overall rating.
With a system like this I dont see any positive aspect in keeping your overall stats when a new season starts.
When I want to qualify for playoffs my aim is to qualify always with the best conditions, but when you have like 3000 overall points and some player who is a bit worse then you starts with ~1500, then its almost impossible for you to become first in this season (when you play approx. the same amount of games in this season).

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2009, 06:17 PM »
I understand your point Random. It was a bad thing to allow ranks to be reset, that completely and utterly destroys the purpose of keeping long term rankings. People need to play for at least 2 seasons for their true skill level to is reflected in their ratings.  This makes it easier for newcomers to the league to gain lots of points, but the next season it'll be much more balanced.

Now I think its been changed so that you can only reset if your under 1000, which is fine.

MI the current system does not display PO positions as they should be. It makes sense to consider ones overal rating BEFORE their seasonal rating.

Look at the standings now, I have a higher overal rating, and a higher seasonal rating than Ray, but he qualifies in 2nd and I qualify in 5th.

I realise that this is because the system is considering seasonal ratings before overal ratings., but this is silly because once other players in the top 20 reach the minimum game limit (benz and random for example), I willl be knocked down the seasonal rankings until the system considers my overal rating.

So in effect I will drop down in the seasonal standings, but keep my overal rating and so qualify HIGHER than if I had played more games for the season.

I understand how PO qualification currently works, but the way in which it is displayed is misleading until the end of the season.

My main point is, the system MUST consider overall ratings BEFORE seasonal ratings.

Undestand what I mean now?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:20 PM by NAiL »
worm and learn

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Now another post for another idea.

As random said, it is difficult for players with high overal rankings to "win" a season. now. They can come second easily enough, but comming first will be very difficult and require a very large number of games to be played.

Why not have PO positions like this.

1 Random (Highest Overal Rating)
1 NAiL       (Highest  Seasonal Rating)
2 benz      (2nd Highest Overal Rating)
2 Luke      (2nd Highest  Seasonal Rating)

i.e. Joint places!

Then have 1v4, 1v4, 2v3, 2v3 etc for the knockouts.
worm and learn