Forums
May 04, 2024, 04:42 PM

Author Topic: bodybuilding forum  (Read 29271 times)

Re: bodybuilding forum
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2012, 02:43 PM »
I mean, those are all the reasons why I do it as well.

It's a mixture of things, but it certainly isn't for the sport to look like Ronnie or any of those guys. I would never want to look like that, but for each their own.

I grew up playing sports as well, and working out is a good way to keep me mentally healthy as well.  I have a GF of 4 years who gave me an ultimatum to get married and I said nope... after that I was like "holy shit I am a fat f@#! now".  I was 198lbs and in the worst shape of my life.... That very day I joined the gym and have been working hard every day since.

Offline cOke

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2012, 03:36 AM »
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/te1rk/offering_broscience_service_ill_test_your_protein/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/uva9t/big_reddit_protein_powder_measurement_results/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE&toomany=true#gid=0

i have no idea if this is legit, but this guy apparently testing the protein content of various powders compared to what they claim

shady... your myofusion is in the list and it says it only has 50% of the protein content that it claims to have. fack lol. one of em american pure whey doesn't even have any in lol.

i've been a bit demotivated to go to the gym recently. i've made progress but its so fkn slow, when i add up all the time i imagine i spent in there this year it just seems like a lot of time.

i agree its good for mental health so im not plannin on stopping, just hitting the gym everynow and then to hopefully maintain before i go in hard again.
HNN4EVA

Offline cOke

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2012, 07:15 AM »
fuccck lasted about 25 mins in the gym

need to stop smoking, need some motivations guys

@shady, where do you live man nice beach

@cue, fukn nice progress how'd you do it? i'm about to do a week at 1500 cals to drop some fat, i know i should do it slower but i cant stand dieting for too long (inb4 steroids)
HNN4EVA

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2012, 07:24 AM »
i'm about to do a week at 1500 cals to drop some fat, i know i should do it slower but i cant stand dieting for too long (inb4 steroids)

Switch carbs with protein dude. The digestion or protein burns far more calories and increases the metabolism 30-40% more.

General knowledge:  For a person who does not exercise (or a gym man on his "off" day), the maximum amount of calories in his day is expended during digestion! Digesting is a process that requires suprisingly high amounts of energy from the body. This is the reason why all diets have 4-7 meals per day. Practically, the more you eat the more you burn calories!

Obviously, in order for this to happen, you need to make sure your calories come mostly from slow carbs (wholemeal stuff mostly, and no "white" wheat/pasta/bread) and protein.

So madog, I suggest not decreasing your calorie intake, but increase (spread through the day) your meal count and switch everything that has fat in your diet with something with less fat and/or more protein.

As a rule of thumb, have in mind to keep the protein-carb ratio to 50-50. Doctors suggest 60-40 but for weight-loss diets its recommended the carbs are dropped to ~30% even.

Motivation: Dude, take pics of yourself. There is nothing more motivating (for 90% of people)  than seeing your "before", "during" and "current" pics and reminding why you do what you do and seeing it paying off :)

Good luck with it.

Offline cOke

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2012, 07:35 AM »
that's interesting destroyah except i more or less completely disagree

whilst digestion does use some calories i think it's negligible the difference between what you're suggesting i.e. meal timing or what it is, if you have any studies to this i'd like to see (edit: been searching for a breakdown of how maintence calories are spent.. not found much.. any hints?)

i have come to understand the 4-7 small meals a day a myth of past decades, what matters is overall daily intake and timing is not important, and also that to lose weight you must be in a calorific deficit (below maintenance) like to gain weight you must be in a surplus

hence many new diets since as intermittent fasting, lean gains and so on where there really is no "window" as such like "you must drink your protein shake within 20 minutes of working out" which is just lies

maybe one day i will try your method of keeping the same calories just switching out carbs but for me i'm sure its a simple equation of calories in vs calories out for weight loss, plus i want to do it quickly

the thing i do agree with is that high protein is good to keep as much muscle mass as possible
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:40 AM by madog »
HNN4EVA

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05 AM »
If yo wanna lose fat without losing muscle and energy, try a semi-ketonic diet like the Anabolic Diet of Dr. Di Pasquale. You can eat alot of tasty meals (cheese, sausages, all meat that you want, with fat, eggs, etc) for 5 days a week, without worried about the 2-3 hours stuff and shit, and the the weekend you can eat spagettis, bread, rice, whatever you want. Make some strenght routines, and keep away from cardio, or at least, do cardio without passing the 130PPM. The idea is to burn the fat, not the entire body

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2012, 08:51 AM »
@Madog: what I said about the diets are basically the bread and butter of every bodybuilder, its common knowledge stuff among people  who exercise. I'm not quite sure how you can "completely disagree" with something that has been the recipe that has worked best for so many athletes, including fitness athletes ofc, without having that much experiece in the field.

@Twyrfher: I'm talking about people who want to look good with fitness/BB standards, if the goal is to simply "be thinner" then yeh, w/e diet makes you happy :P

PS: the fact that digestion is such a calorie-spender can be easily seen in the very damn purpose you dont go to the sea after having eaten. Most of the body's blood and resources have concentrated around the stomach for the digestion process and because the heart cannot pump hard enough to satisfy the digestion taking place together with pumping to the skin so that the heat loss is minimised (body temp is 36.6 Celcius and the sea usually is at best 27 so the body is trying to maintain its temp) and you end up having a heart failure. That's the main cause of "drowning", not swallowing water, that's just the end result ;)

Just a little example to show just how much energy is expended during digestion.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:58 AM by Desetroyah »

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56 AM »
@cue, fukn nice progress how'd you do it?

Running.  When I got my smartphone and and ap called Runstar I got very motivated. 

It records all your runs and routes and times and distances etc then it will upload them automatically to a community called Dailymile where like minded people encourage one another to reach their training goals.

I recommend getting Runstar if you have a smartphone.

When I went from 13 stone to 11 I was running 50 or so miles a month.

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58 AM »
@Twyrfher: I'm talking about people who want to look good with fitness/BB standards, if the goal is to simply "be thinner" then yeh, w/e diet makes you happy :P
So you don't know the Anabolic Diet my friend.

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2012, 09:01 AM »

The anabolic diet is meant to be coupled with strength and power training, did you get the impression madog is on that stage?

« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2012, 09:08 AM »

The anabolic diet is meant to be coupled with strength and power training, did you get the impression madog is on that stage?
So i didn't get your point @ the first quote of me ;O. Anyway, I was going to post a pic of the guy who taught me the diet, but also I know people who has just started to lift weights with very good results.

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2012, 09:12 AM »

So i didn't get your point @ the first quote of me ;O. Anyway, I was going to post a pic of the guy who taught me the diet, but also I know people who has just started to lift weights with very good results.

Yeh, but like I said, the An.Diet is not good for: athletes, and people who dont exercise intensely.

If Madog were to take up gym seriously then he could look into it, otherwise I dont think it's a good choice for him. Also, An.Diet is hard on your pocket. Grocery bill goes off the roof heh xd

Offline cOke

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2012, 10:14 AM »
destroyah that was the bread and butter of bb'ing 20 years ago, things have moved on

you don't need to eat every 2 hours

the simple formula i have ingrained is calories in vs calories out

so have you actually lost weight staying at the same calories and just replacing carbs with protein? i dunno...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:20 AM by madog »
HNN4EVA

Offline cOke

« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2012, 10:17 AM »
@cue, fukn nice progress how'd you do it?

Running.  When I got my smartphone and and ap called Runstar I got very motivated. 

It records all your runs and routes and times and distances etc then it will upload them automatically to a community called Dailymile where like minded people encourage one another to reach their training goals.

I recommend getting Runstar if you have a smartphone.

When I went from 13 stone to 11 I was running 50 or so miles a month.

damn, that's a lot of running mate

i'll have a look into it, i have now got a phone with gps so was lookin at these things

my main problem was shin splints so i'm gonna ease into it and stretch properly before/after
HNN4EVA

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2012, 10:19 AM »
destroyah that was the bread and butter of bb'ing 20 years ago, things have moved on

you don't need to eat every 2 hours

the simple formula is calories in vs calories out

Well, you clearly need no help from us I guess. I explained why and how what I said is the fact.

Tell us how your plan is working out for ya.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:21 AM by Desetroyah »