Forums
May 02, 2024, 12:11 AM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 64170 times)

Offline Lex

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2016, 12:04 AM »
Komito's right.

Offline Hussar

« Reply #211 on: May 20, 2016, 07:48 AM »
Great post Skunk3 nd Komito.

Offline Triad

« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2016, 09:20 AM »
They're absolutely right. Set your priorities straight please. You want an not identical game like all other Worms games after WA which all are dead now unlike WA or you want to gather best features of every Worms game ever and create a successful definitive title?

Offline Anubis

« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2016, 01:28 PM »
I believe having new Worms games is generating more money than having 1 definite edition that, sooner or later, everyone owns that is interested in Worms. So having short lived shallow games is more profitable. At this point everyone that wanted to play W:A has heard/played W:A already and thus W:A is just a dead body that generates no money. It's not like CS where people can buy skins or something where endless stream of money is generated. Worms games are just casual artillery games for the majority of gamers that you buy in a sale for 5 bucks every 2-3 years.

Offline Triad

« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2016, 02:20 PM »
Let's assume they made a truly definitive title. They could make cool mission pack dlc just like TCB Challenges and sell them. It would be more profitable than creating a completely new game and more appealing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:23 PM by Triad »

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2016, 06:11 PM »
I believe having new Worms games is generating more money than having 1 definite edition that, sooner or later, everyone owns that is interested in Worms. So having short lived shallow games is more profitable. At this point everyone that wanted to play W:A has heard/played W:A already and thus W:A is just a dead body that generates no money. It's not like CS where people can buy skins or something where endless stream of money is generated. Worms games are just casual artillery games for the majority of gamers that you buy in a sale for 5 bucks every 2-3 years.

This indeed would be really difficult to pull of, mainly because it's such a niche genre and the image of the whole Worms franchise is that it's just for casual gamers and kids. If some capable game dev company would build a WA type versatile and skill-based game with love and a more serious image (aka not earthworms throwing farting grannies [which has been the selling point in like every Worms game trailer ever]) from the ground up as a super competitive F2P game, it could be quite succesful. It obviously would have to have impressive graphics with cool and distinct art style, that way purchasable character/weapon/etc. skins could be much more profitable than in something like WA for example. The marketing should focus on one really exciting game mode that would bring in the new masses, like a flashy real time rope style mode or something? Turn based artillery alone isn't something that will ever again attract big crowds no matter how well done it is.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2016, 03:42 AM »
I don't like the idea of purchasing characters and upgradeable add ons. Pay to win is bad Tomtysti.

I wouldn't mind paying for skins, soundbanks, flags, graves, and maybe some extra textures.

Back in the days games were made of honor, the game was COMPLETE, you unlocked things as you progressed. Today you unlock things with money, which is bad imo. I would partly blame the younger consumers for this motto.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2016, 07:43 AM »
I don't like the idea of purchasing characters and upgradeable add ons. Pay to win is bad Tomtysti.

I wouldn't mind paying for skins, soundbanks, flags, graves, and maybe some extra textures.

Back in the days games were made of honor, the game was COMPLETE, you unlocked things as you progressed. Today you unlock things with money, which is bad imo. I would partly blame the younger consumers for this motto.

I completely agree about P2W being the worst shit ever, that's why I didn't propose any P2W stuff, only purely cosmetic items. I suppose selling additional single player missions/expansions down the line would be okay as well. Like I said, it would have to be build as a F2P game from the ground up, with extensive progression/in-game currency systems in place. You'd be able earn most of the cosmetic stuff by playing and doing challenges etc., a lot of it exclusively by playing. Hearthstone for example has a system where you get a golden animated hero portrait only by winning 500 ranked games with the class. That is kinda shitty and grindy to be honest, since there ain't any more rewards to be achieved after those 500 wins with that particular hero (and Arena games should count), but it's a cool idea in principle. Most people loathe F2P, because so few games do it right, but I think it can be pretty neat.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2016, 08:07 AM »
I guess they finished visiting here then lol? Guess it's a new record at least.

Offline Husk

« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2016, 08:11 AM »
if I would make a flash game in 2016 and sell it for 30 euros I guess I'd get such feedback aswell xD

that said, I wanna play Allison Road when it comes out =P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:18 AM by Husk »

Offline Kradie

« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2016, 08:50 AM »

It's Sunday today.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2016, 08:18 AM »

It's Sunday today.

Sometimes it's better to listen than to speak ;)

And yes, the Sunday thing may be a factor too haha.

Ok here's something for you all to think/chat about -

There's more than 1 type of Ninja Rope in Worms W.M.D. Enjoy!
Community Manager at Team17

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #222 on: May 23, 2016, 08:26 AM »
There's more than 1 type of Ninja Rope in Worms W.M.D.
Lemme guess, a rope and a bungee?
Or rather, a W:A rope and a W:Rel rope
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2016, 08:30 AM »
There's more than 1 type of Ninja Rope in Worms W.M.D.
Lemme guess, a rope and a bungee?
Or rather, a W:A rope and a W:Rel rope

We're talking Ninja Rope, not duping you with a bungee reference :)
Community Manager at Team17

Offline Lex

« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2016, 08:42 AM »
He said that because (iirc) WR's ninja rope is about as useful as WA's bungee for getting around the map.