Forums
May 08, 2024, 09:27 AM

Author Topic: I did it? Improved BnG? :o  (Read 2148 times)

Offline HHC

I did it? Improved BnG? :o
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Yop yop yop, I may have find a way to make BnG more interesting :o But still skilled.  ;)

BnG, with Crates  8)
(like in the training missions  8))

Neway, set up is as follow:
1) select a random island map in the map editor.
Place a small cup (of land) on each side of it (pretty much at the average height of the level). Now fill up the sides of the map (like in hysteria if you dont want sd spots); and fill up any spaces in the middle that are simply unreachable. Feel free to include objects, but make sure they don't block shit.
2) you now have a nice BnG map with various heights, some easy spots and some nasty ones. And 2 cups on each side for each player to place their worm in. (or each team in a clanner)
3) the scheme is as follow: each player places one worm in either the left or the right cup. Every turn a health crate drops from the sky, somewhere on the map. The mission is not to hit the other worm in his cup, but the crate that falls on the map. If you destroy the crate that falls that turn you get +1 point. First to 10 points wins the match.
4) Weapons: unlim zooka's, 8 grenades (which means you HAVE to use the zooks at some point) and 1 cluster grenade.
5) no rules on cheapness.

That's it.  :)
It's better than normal BnG cause the maps are more challenging, the 8-limit nade prevents easy, cheap notched nade-play and the crates make for nice targets that switch places every turn.  :)

Rule clarrification:
-) you MUST hit your own crate (the crate that falls in your turn), if you hit an other one it's no score.
-) once there are 5 crates on the map the crates stop falling. If this happens you must hit the last crate that fell. Once this one is destroyed a new crate will fall again  :)

It's a really nice game IMO. And it should suit both the conservatives and the more open-minded people who want more radical changes. It's still BnG in every possible way, just more challenging and more fun  :)

I included a replay in the attachments, check it out  8)

(p.s. that little twig on the bottom right was a mistake, it did make for a nice target though)  ;D
(ps2: the maps are indes btw. Scheme is also in the attachments..)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:47 PM by HHC »

Offline HHC

Re: I did it? Improved BnG? :o
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:45 PM »
Played more, this is fun  :D

Some pretty nice shots in there  :) Blue ran out of nades at the end, totally chanceless then  :(

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:03 PM »
Awesome idea hhc
I would like to play it instead of usual bng on league

Offline HHC

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:05 PM »
da! It's really neat  :)

Attached the maps I played on so far, for the lazy ppl  ;)

Offline Free

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Has potential.

Perhaps make the starting position more anti-ploppable and add retreat time so you can go back to the spot where you can't be plopped by accident.

Offline HHC

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:26 PM »
I guess it could be more of a sealed box, with a small opening in the middle on top... and then retreat yeah.

Offline Maciej

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56 PM »
I can't open these replays...

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:04 PM »
It's a nice idea but i'd call it something else, personally.

Offline Prankster

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:36 PM »
I think this scheme does require less skills because a shot that would make 1 point of damage will blow up a crate just the same as a shot which would do 46.
What's the real difference between shooting crates and shooting your opponent's worm? Some kind of weird pacifism? :D Also keeping track of the crates causes an unnecessary disctraction of the real purpose of BnG and it's also another luck factor. What if I blow up my opponent's crate?

This sounds cool as a new scheme, but I don't think it would be a good replacement for BnG.

On the other hand, league BnG does require changes, which should be imho: add infinite teleport, shotgun for making hides, remove every rules except to keep a distance (maps with a hole in the middle can be a good solution) forbid to hit your opponent with anything else but grenades and bazookas. And maybe make in unanchored with a few seconds retreat time. Circular aiming and antilock power can be a good addition too. Maybe the no sitter rule should be kept too.
As for the maps: the more hides, the better, so I personally prefer wider maps with lots of hides.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:38 PM by Prankster »

Offline HHC

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46 PM »
I think this scheme does require less skills because a shot that would make 1 point of damage will blow up a crate just the same as a shot which would do 46.
What's the real difference between shooting crates and shooting your opponent's worm? Some kind of weird pacifism? :D Also keeping track of the crates causes an unnecessary disctraction of the real purpose of BnG and it's also another luck factor. What if I blow up my opponent's crate?

If you blow your opponent's it's no score.

The good thing about crates instead of worms is that they change positions every turn.
In normal BnG you're forced to repeat shots as your opponent can't move.

And well, the fact that you don't need to make a full hit doesnt take away from the fact that you need to aim well to make it count. Some targets may be kinda hidden behind land and then you really need precision shooting to hit the right part of the land to make it blow.

I played it online with skren and we had quite a bit of fun.

I had to add tele's to the scheme though (sometimes you cant help but shoot the other worm out :o) and we had some difficulty in finding a good map that didnt benefit one party. Mirrored maps could be a solution, but then we won't be able to work with random maps anymore. Changing cups is also a solution (maybe after one player scores 5 points?).
And the nades... maybe better to include more of them, 10-12 or even infinite. There are places that aren't hittable by zooks and with some BL you can run out of nades pretty soon.

Crate rape is another factor. But overall, lots of fun and the best player wins 90% of the time.

Offline Free

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 03:47 PM »
I think you should get points for opponents crates also.

Offline HHC

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 03:48 PM »
nah Free then you can choose out of 4 targets sometimes. It's too easy.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Notching would own this scheme.

Offline HHC

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:14 PM »
notching ownz any form of BnG Komo.

even Hyst or Elite.

edit: fixed the problem of bad maps: just 1 cup on one side of the map, for both players to use.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:41 PM by HHC »

Offline Anubis

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Sounds interesting, need to check it out in detail. :)