Forums
May 01, 2024, 05:25 AM

Author Topic: 2v2 Group TUS  (Read 3964 times)

Re: 2v2 Group TUS
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 05:27 AM »
I think as a proof of concept, to show that this sort of thing would work and that there's demand for it on WA, you should start small and do the first season as a cup or just through a forum thread. Have between 4 and 8 people volunteer to be captains, between 12 and 24 other active and easy to contact (non-captain) players sign up for it, then do a draft. I don't think it's that important for the teams to be evenly matched on paper because a lot will depend on team synergy rather than sheer skill anyway, but if you're worried about that, just go with fewer captains (so each captain definitely gets a solid first pick) and a tournament system in which the worse teams aren't punished severely (in turn losing all hope after only a few matches played).

A system that would likely work well for this, if you were to do it cup style, is to start off with a single group stage in which each of the teams plays against each of the other teams that signed up in standard clanner format (one or two league scheme picks a side). 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss. After the group stage, the top half of the standings table advances to the upper bracket and plays against each other, same with the bottom half of the group stage in the lower bracket. This way, no team is out after the group stage, but doing well during it (securing a top 4 position in the case of 8 teams taking part) means that in the knockout stage, you have to lose twice before you're out. Which is nice.

Something like that should result in good competitive fun, not interfere with the clan league too much, result in less drama because there'd be no avoiding, as well as give everyone an idea of how much interest, activity and organisational trouble can be expected from a format like this in the future. Then for the next season, either keep the same cup style format or look to expand into a time-limited league with playoffs. But if you ask me, there's too many of those on TUS already.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:40 AM by KoreanRedDragon »

Offline avirex

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 10:27 PM »
i like everything you posted, and im not saying each time has to be perfectly balanced, because that would never happen...

but a good balance through out the teams would be nice, for instance.. i cant see putting sir-j, statik, ryan, barman and dulek on the same team together, would be nice to separate all of those f@#!ers...

as for you saying there is already too many seasonal leagues on TUS, i agree.. but they are all scheme related, and nothing caters to 2v2...

there is a large crowd on w:a that strictly prefer 2v2, and have little to no interest in 1v1, including myself... so i think an exception could be made to add one more seasonal league, for 2v2, assuming there is an interest, and demand for such a thing...

so with that said, your idea to start this out strictly on forums, and having knockout etc, is a good idea.. and we can see where things go from there... so i will set this up at a later date, when i have free time..

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 02:57 AM »
but a good balance through out the teams would be nice, for instance.. i cant see putting sir-j, statik, ryan, barman and dulek on the same team together, would be nice to separate all of those f@#!ers...

Yeah, but if it's actual captains drafting, it's their fault for letting someone else snatch all of those! I'd say the best you can do as an organiser is make sure you appoint strategically minded captains who have a solid idea of who's who on the competitive scene, then after that, it's out of your hands and they're on their own. If they f@#! up and let a single dream team form, they'll know better next time. :D

But also, I can totally see myself rooting for an underdog team in something like this too, one weaker on paper that had bad luck during the draft. Especially if there's going to be an accompanying prediction game! So it's not all bad, just means we'll get to see even more dramadramadra.

so with that said, your idea to start this out strictly on forums, and having knockout etc, is a good idea.. and we can see where things go from there... so i will set this up at a later date, when i have free time..

Excellent. I'll at the very least follow how it unfolds if not try and make it onto a team as the 5th reserve that only plays BnG or something.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 11:23 AM »
I wanna be a Wormsteam manager! I love this. :D

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Sounds pretty cool!
"since most people tend to the order side, its my job to spread chaos" -peja

Offline Ryan

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 12:46 PM »
I'll give this a go!

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 01:05 PM »
You can be as creative with this as you like with this :) You can even play it like a mob war and give teams a limited amount of jokers for example:
"Break a leg" (opponent can't use a supersheep - or whatever superweapon they pick- in an elite)
"Sleeping with the fishes" (opponent has one worm less in TTRR)
and give teams jokers depending on their activity (perhaps one joker per X losses to help the teams that aren't doing too well?) but that wouldn't quite work if you're sticking with the rating system.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 02:11 PM »
The joker idea sounds good to add some more tactics.
Things like this may generate more interest.

I am thinking use the jokers with an element risk.
Make jokers completely change the game, e.g. 1 worm per player in ttrr, health handicaps in bng, no special wep in elite, no girder in T17.

However, if the suffering team overcomes the joker, they can report the win twice.

Spices things up and adds tactics.

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Next up: Crazy's betting corner gets involved ;D

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Why are you here?

"I don't care about anything that happens here, but this is what I think about all of this!"

Offline Peja

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 04:21 PM »
damm d1, now he has to create a second account"twopostkomo" in order to answer you  ;D
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 04:23 PM »
He can edit his post :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Come on, let's not derail this!

Avi, what do you think about these ideas?
I say we go straight into a league format because a cup wouldn't be a fair gauge of activity.

In a cup, people have to organise themselves to meet pre set opponents, which is hard enough in a 1v1 matchup!
In a league, people go out to ask for games and that is a realistic measure of activity.

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 05:20 PM »
No1 gives a damn about cup points except several people... But we shouldn't mix tus single with tus team points. There should be 2 separate tables. When 4 people on AG start looking for a team game, then they are randomly paired and play 2-3 games, that's it :)

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win