Forums
May 13, 2024, 11:17 PM

Author Topic: Flaws in Hysteria  (Read 4376 times)

Offline SPW

Re: Flaws in Hysteria
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 08:53 PM »
btw its like some guys tell here: adapt it.

The big problem in start, when ur worms is so far and u lose 1 - 4 turns to replace it.

If teleport was limited to 9, ppl would think better about the "f8 move".

You are wrong here dude. If your opponent is doing a plop-port in first turn, just plop your worm also or teleport close enough to your upcoming worm. Then you must repeat this as long your (weak) playing opponent continues. And now you see the point? Its a good tactic if you are sure, your opponent doesnt know what to do then. But its a weak one, if your opponent is able to adapt it. It just makes game shorter and it ends in a 2v2 or 1v1 situation. So if you see urself behind from beginning, cause not favourite, then you may do this as well, just to get (maybe) more chances to win the game.

In the end: Its a) weak or b) lame. There is no c) ^^

btw: tp's limited to 9 dont help since you have only 4 worms ;) Not in that case at least.

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 09:13 PM »
hmmm i understood SPW...

But... Let me see... Plop urself at game start only to kill 1 worm opponent...

I think that is lame and too silliness xDDDDDD

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2011, 10:15 PM »
I think the main problem with turn advantage in hysteria is that it evens the playing field for pretty much everyone, noobs and pros alike, in the same way that KTL ensures a 3-way roper stays even. There's almost no way that it won't get down to 1v1 or 2v1 if two decent players are playing; no amount of skill will allow you to get much of a lead. Hysteria's okay, but I'm not all that interested in it since most other schemes have a wider range of skill.

Offline sock

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19 PM »
I think the main problem with turn advantage in hysteria is that it evens the playing field for pretty much everyone, noobs and pros alike, in the same way that KTL ensures a 3-way roper stays even. There's almost no way that it won't get down to 1v1 or 2v1 if two decent players are playing; no amount of skill will allow you to get much of a lead. Hysteria's okay, but I'm not all that interested in it since most other schemes have a wider range of skill.

agreed, but it still is a fun game for me  :P

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 06:10 PM »

And since this point is exactly the point I bring up myself whenever this kind of thread pops up, I will link to this cup to provide an idea to mitigate this problem :) Makes turn order abuse more difficult at least, though it doesn't entirely abolish it.

The more players join, the better this idea can be tested!

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 06:15 PM »
vn sir! i ll join!

Offline Vultoz

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 10:59 PM »
I played lot of different Hysteria styles, to be honest the fair way to me is:

People choose their hides when game begins.
Random turns dont works good because improve luck, but i played with selectable worm sometimes and it worked well, specially because you can avoid the telecows this way. The problem here is just about the 2v2 games, but for this i have no ideas, even the random order won't work in this case. The non-random placementes can make it works fine, or atleast better.

Maybe we should try this too :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:40 AM by Vultoz »

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 03:24 AM »
i played many games which the auto plop was a very bad idea... random turns is a good change, but when one player hav 1 worms, he can use turn advantage...so, is funny,but improve luck... selecting places isnt good coz games will tend to hav same style of start teles(like bng...side-side)

i think the flaws in hysteria is just a bad luck some bad luckers(like me) hav in start,when the bad lucker hav bad start possitions + bad turn sequences...

But this shits happens, all schemes hav something like this...

Offline darKz

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2011, 03:27 AM »
Can we have every "telecow" in this forum replaced by an image of a teleporting cow? Would that be possible? I really can't bear reading it all the time..
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Yea me too.
Anyway, is this "telecowing" ... sigh .... definable? I mean instead on teleporting on-top-of/next-to opponents's worm, the player could teleport 20 pixel far from them, and still abuse the turn advantage.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Vultoz

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Maybe limited teleports like 2 or 3 and a lower retreat time of jetpack can reduce this kind of "cow".

Offline darKz

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Maybe limited teleports like 2 or 3 and a lower retreat time of jetpack can reduce this kind of "cow".

Why call something a cow which is perfectly legal and doesn't have anything to do with the animal... I don't get it. ::)
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2011, 05:47 PM »

Why call something a cow which is perfectly legal and doesn't have anything to do with the animal... I don't get it. ::)

agree...

2,3 teles is bad for telecides, and to make all the changes that are necessary in the game when u hav a really sucks start places

Offline Hussar

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 08:45 AM »

agree...

2,3 teles is bad for telecides, and to make all the changes that are necessary in the game when u hav a really sucks start places

.........so maybe 5/6 only?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Nothing is changing in hysteria :)

People lose in schemes and try to alter it so that it suits their style of playing best.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.