Forums
May 18, 2024, 08:46 PM

Author Topic: No anonymity for smite/applaud  (Read 7744 times)

Offline Desetroyah

No anonymity for smite/applaud
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Hey all,

I'm one of the relatively new ppl here and I could be wrong but I havent seen this issue being raised anywhere so I'm going to throw an idea.

We're all familiar with the whole applaud/smite function. It is a good way for ppl to easily recognise who's been generally sensible (being generally liked or "liked" for one post doesnt make you sensible but moving on) and who's not.

However, most ppl online are cowardly enough to simply smite something because someone wrote something different than what they did and thats when the issues begin.

In my opinion lifting the anonymity factor out of this suddently will make everyone responsible for what they vote "for" or "against" and that way:

-they will think twice before voting either way
-their opinion will matter
-they can show their support, disapproval without necessarily writing whole essays or even write anything at all, hence decreasing the amount of clutter in the forums.

{  I am aware that in order for this to happen a bit of work will be required from MI so even though this suggestion is unlikely to be wildly accepted and perhaps materialise I would like to show my appreciation for his work anyways. Gj man :)  }

It'll be essentially like the Facebook "like" system, i.e. if there are too many "smites" or "applauds" most of the names could be revealed in a small pop-up or something (just a suggestion)

So what do you think?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:30 PM by Desetroyah »

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • UC UC clan

• Might come back later idk
    • View Profile
Re: No anonymity for smite/applaud
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:32 PM »
!
I applaud you for this;
I think that we should use a method like in RS page;  you smite or applaud and put your reason. I said this on JEDI forum but they didnt like the idea (as seems).
Yeah i was thinking on post it here too.

http://realsnipers.tk/index/8-0-Rambo there you go :) i have -665 of reputation xDD
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:34 PM by Gabriel »
Mole shopper is the worst thing in the world.

Offline HHC

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:47 PM »
I kinda like it the way it is. People tend to get upset when they are smited.. it's gonna be a whole different argument when you know who's behind it (and not in a positive way)  :-[

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:52 PM »
I kinda like it the way it is. People tend to get upset when they are smited.. it's gonna be a whole different argument when you know who's behind it (and not in a positive way)  :-[

Do you think the same amount of ppl will "smite" then? I doubt it. Like I said, ppl will try justify their actions and make them responsible for them. I believe its a more "social", or definetely, a more honest and open way of dealing with things.

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • UC UC clan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:56 PM »
I kinda like it the way it is. People tend to get upset when they are smited.. it's gonna be a whole different argument when you know who's behind it (and not in a positive way)  :-[

That will make ppl think 2 times before smite or applaud :)

Offline darKz

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:10 PM »
You're suggesting to start a huge flame war. Not a very smart thing to suggest imo. :)
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Thats what is not understood man, I believe that this way ppl will be incredibly declined to smite at all, rather, they will just write their reasons for disagreeing.

EDIT: haha, 3 smites and counting :) This is what happens when u say an idea, thanks for making my point guys :P

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • UC UC clan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Thats what is not understood man, I believe that this way ppl will be incredibly declined to smite at all, rather, they will just write their reasons for disagreeing.

EDIT: haha, 3 smites and counting :) This is what happens when u say an idea, thanks for making my point guys :P

True hah :P

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 08:19 PM »
naaaa this is not enough.

Imo I believe that the Smite function must to be deleted. We dont need to it. This brings useful discussions and in a big cases its unfair.

DELETE the SMITE AEE

Offline Maciej

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 08:32 PM »
now it works like I applaud you because I like you, and 'he called me noob somewhen, smite!'
sometimes I come on site and see I got like few smites, but no idea for what
the most irritating thing is that sometimes even when you help someone, there are still haters who smite you... :'(
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:35 PM by Maciej »

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • UC UC clan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 08:36 PM »
now it works like I applaud you because I like you, and 'he called me noob somewhen, smite!'
sometimes I come on site and see I got like few smites, but no idea for what
the most irritating thing is that sometimes even when you help someone, there are still haters who smite you... :'(

Yeah ur reputation sucks now. -125, seems the worse on TUS page xD

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48 PM »
The discussion's been had before :)
Most of the time, we settled with keeping it anonymous for the reason mentioned by HHC

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53 PM »
I dont think you understood my posts well though. You must imagine that when everyone knows their name would show if they smited without a good enough reason, do you think they would press that button? No they wouldnt, because then they themselves would look like assholes.

My point is, its unfair and it would stop a lot of angst and/or "revenge" smites like ones mentioned by Maciej.

Also, notice how without saying anything bad about anyone I've received god-knows-how-many smites simply because I had the nerve to say an opinion that affects no one personally... I think this makes my point...

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • UC UC clan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:00 PM »
The discussion's been had before :)
Most of the time, we settled with keeping it anonymous for the reason mentioned by HHC

Yeah but not because this discussion ''been had before'', we cannot ask it again.
I think that this will be better for us because actually, for example, maciej. See his reputation, Dont you have stopped and thought, why the hell he has that reputation? Maybe 100 or more of his smites are done without a reason. I think that this is a good way to know why.
In RS we had this system, and it worked properly (Until i said that Zed was the Orel's Gf xD)
What's bad about knowing who smites you? If you'r smited or applaud with a good reason there shouldnt be any problem.

Offline darKz

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 09:02 PM »
I made a suggestion some time ago, it went ignored though..

Either do that and keep it anonymous, or remove the entire karma system imo. Revealing names will not do any good, remember, this is the internet. :P
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010